Bad tablemates...I just cannot do it again!

!MSteacher

I've never known NCL to "share" one table. However, the Breakaway class ships put way more tables in the specialty restaurants as before. A table for 2 is almost sharing a table with the table next to you. The tables are almost inches apart. It is fun when you get to meet fun people. One couple sat next to us at Cagneys who we really liked. They were from CA and it was funny because we ran into them everywhere on the ship during the entire week. They were even on one of our excursions. We also have had people who were cold as ice. Nothing bad or to ruin a meal though.

Yes, I've commented on this many times. Often people will recommend Le Bistro to those looking for a romantic place to go for dinner. I always tell them No Way. You could eat off the plate at the table next to you without even leaning over. It's ridiculous.

I need help! We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, teen daughter) Given that most MDR's do not have 3-top tables, it is understandable (and expected) that we would be seated in the MDR with strangers. This was not something that bothered us because it was an opportunity to make friends and get to know new and possibly interesting people. However, on the past 2 cruises, we have had THE WORST tablemates! It literally ruined some meals. We found ourselves dreading going to dinner! How can we avoid this issue on our next cruise: NCL Western Meditteranean?

NCL does not do that. You will never be seated with strangers.

It is interesting to read that NCL no longer ask if you want to share. We actually did wonder why we were not asked on our last cruise.

We were on the Jade in May ( British Isles) and were asked several times if we wanted to sit at a shared dinner table. We agreed and had pleasant conversation each time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I've commented on this many times. Often people will recommend Le Bistro to those looking for a romantic place to go for dinner. I always tell them No Way. You could eat off the plate at the table next to you without even leaning over. It's ridiculous.

Le Bistro was my one disappointment with the Bliss, I was expecting the menu and atmosphere of the Pearl

Uh oh that's what I booked on the Getaway for our anniversary next week. :o

On our last Princess cruise, the tables for two were so close together that the waiter could barely get between them. So we ended up talking with the couple next to us. (We both had the same table for the entire cruise even though it was "Freestyle.") It was OK since they were nice people even though the woman had weird eating preferences.

So our next NCL cruise we shouldn't have that problem ... hopefully.

It seems from another thread that you might be in a Suite.

If so, then ask the Butler to serve you ensuite, and perhaps mention your anniversary and ask him/her to serve you course by course. (They routinely do this on other more upscale lines, but especially for a major celebration, perhaps they'd be happy to help you enjoy it a bit more.)

(And who knows... maybe they'll add an extra treat, but please do NOT count on it, to avoid disappointment.)

One menu item at Le Bistro that we feel is a total sleeper is the coq au vin.

The meat is as tender as it gets, and the sauce... good enough to like the dish.

We never even tried it for several years, and then, not even sure why, we tried it, and YUM!

But they also have the best filet :)

GC

On one of the cruises we were on (not NCL) we were assigned table mates as it was only DH and I. We were actually looking forward to meeting new people, but the couple they put at our table did not speak any English (they were from one of the Scandinavian countries, I think?) so it was very awkward. They didn't seem to want to even try to get to know us. They conversed between themselves and we conversed between ourselves which seemed rude since we were basically speaking languages we each didn't understand at a table in front of each other. They may have felt the same way since they disappeared the third night and we never saw them again.

I can see it having been awkward, but hardly rude. Was it rude of them to not know English? Was it rude of you to not know their language?

In addition to being elbow to elbow with neighboring tables, so it's impossible to have a conversation without including those around you, there is also no view of the sea. It's the only interior restaurant on Getaway, with no windows at all. It's like eating in a closet. The good news is that the food is really good, so you have that going for you. :)

In addition to being elbow to elbow with neighboring tables, so it's impossible to have a conversation without including those around you, there is also no view of the sea. It's the only interior restaurant on Getaway, with no windows at all. It's like eating in a closet. The good news is that the food is really good, so you have that going for you. :)

Sounds like Le Bistro on the Dawn! (At least, that's where/how it was pre dry dock.)

We wandered into it just a few feet, and just backed right out. It looked absolutely dismal.

But on the Pearl, it was great, and we'd ask for a table by a window, even if the time wasn't our first choice.

GC

Dining on NCL is like going to a restaurant at home where you tell them the number in your party and you sit with family/friends. And I love how on NCL you can eat at whatever time you want — no set dinner times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the reason we love to cruise Norwegian. DH and I go on our holiday together and that is how we like to spend our time.

Even though the tables are maybe a yard apart, they're still officially different tables, which means you're free to ignore the couple sitting right there and just focus on each other.

My wife and I both work in fields where we have to make small talk with strangers all day, and we really prefer to not have to be "on" whilst on vacation.

Even on the other lines, we've never had a problem getting a table for just our family (we used to be 3 with one child and are now 4 with two). On other lines, early dining might be full, but there is usually some wiggle room if you speak to the maitre d on the first day. On NCL, you just need to request a table for your party alone. If it is a prime dining time, you might need to wait, but they are happy to accommodate this request.

I need help! We are a family of 3 (mom, dad, teen daughter) Given that most MDR's do not have 3-top tables, it is understandable (and expected) that we would be seated in the MDR with strangers. This was not something that bothered us because it was an opportunity to make friends and get to know new and possibly interesting people. However, on the past 2 cruises, we have had THE WORST tablemates! It literally ruined some meals. We found ourselves dreading going to dinner! How can we avoid this issue on our next cruise: NCL Western Meditteranean?

You don't have to share tables with anyone on NCL. You eat when you want, where you want and with who you want. The only limitation is the operating hours of the restaurants.

I am not the most social person but I enjoy meeting other people. I wouldn't mind sharing.

Interesting to hear comments about Le Bistro. Is it any different than any other fine restaurant that has tables close together?

You can also get stuck sitting at a shared table during an excursion if you book an excursion through the ship. Two of the ship excursions on the Jade in May included a meal and both meals were served banquet style in a dining hall with large tables and several people seated at each table. Both meals dragged on and on and they were definitely the low point of an otherwise fantastic trip. Now I just make sure any excursions booked don't include a meal unless the meal portion of the excursion can be skipped.

We actually choose excursions that include a meal for that very reason, we do enjoy sharing. The worst thing is when there is a shortage of food and the service is slow; that though is uncommon and the reverse is true. The organisations doing the meals seem to be well in command and do a great job.

If you are ever in Reykjavik take the shorex with the Langoustine feast!!!

It is interesting to read that NCL no longer ask if you want to share. We actually did wonder why we were not asked on our last cruise.

When eating dinner in the main dining room my wife and I have been asked a half dozen times. On our last cruise which was 14 days we were asked three times. We enjoy meeting new people

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound as though all other cruise lines force guests to eat with strangers. Not so. NCL was definitely the pioneer in letting people eat whenever and with whomever, and that is a huge plus about cruising with NCL. But the concept is so popular that most cruise lines have had to follow suit with their version of freestyle dining, which other cruise lines call "anytime dining," "my time dining," etc. A major difference is that those other cruise lines also have traditional dining -- two fixed seatings (early and late).

I think you will find that, on other cruise lines, if you choose "anytime dining" you will be able to eat whenever you want and will be seated by yourselves if you desire. This is certainly true as to Celebrity. The problem may occur on other cruise lines when you have "traditional" dining. In those circumstances, while you may be able to request, say, a two-top, the cruise line may not be able to guarantee you'll be assigned one. It's a major reason why my wife and I, when on non-NCL cruises, opt for "anytime dining."

...on other cruise lines, if you choose "anytime dining" you will be able to eat whenever you want and will be seated by yourselves if you desire.

Provided they have enough 2 tops!!!!! You are more likely to have a wait if you want a 2 top at popular times in "Anytime Dining" on Princess.

...on other cruise lines, if you choose "anytime dining" you will be able to eat whenever you want and will be seated by yourselves if you desire.

Provided they have enough 2 tops!!!!! You are more likely to have a wait if you want a 2 top at popular times in "Anytime Dining" on Princess.

On RCCL I requested Anytime dining and was given 8:30pm set dining - with no option to change.

I have tried set dining twice and HATED it, I won't go on a line that offers traditional dining and risk getting forced into it again