Straws on the NCL Dawn?

blueflower1968

Next time you go to Dunkin Donuts just grab a handful of plastic straws and bring them on the ship to enjoy your frozen drinks at your leisure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are Dunkin’ Donuts straws biodegradable?

Only adult drink I like without a straw is a martini (some many kinds). That said I will be bringing my own straws on the Dawn. I see somebody found some bio straws (not paper) at Walmart will look into that. Just one small item to stick in my bag. My cruise doesn't hinge on how I can drink my water or other beverage. But thank you folk's for the heads up. Great site for good info even with the soap boxes :).

Enjoy life it's a gift and who doesn't like a gift.

I was really glad I came across this topic because I was totally unaware that they had banned use of straws. At my last cruise in October 2017 they were still sticking a straw in every single drink. I appreciate being alerted because I really do like to have a straw to drink frozen drinks with. Because of the information I was able to go online and find an environmentally safe alternative. 60726432e1d1a92bd668132688b94ee5.jpg

Thanks for the heads up!

Let us know how they work

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ve tried paper straws before but didn’t like them. I’m going to try glugglug silicone straws on my next cruise. I too like a straw in most drinks and not just the thick ones...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried paper straws before but didn’t like them. I’m going to try glugglug silicone straws on my next cruise. I too like a straw in most drinks and not just the thick ones...

We will be bringing straws from the dollar store. Doubt they are biodegradable. they are like 1 cent each, and the old lady can carry them around in her purse.

I wonder how long it will be before the only straws allowed onboard are re-usable. NCL stopped providing straws for what they believe is a valid reason. Allowing plastic straws to be carried on by guests defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?
Not sure they will have have re-usable straws on ships or in the towns where plastic straws are banned, probably only paper straws or biodegradable straws will be available in bars and restaurants. And yes, allowing plastic straws to be carried on does defeat the purpose, but many just don't care and I seriously doubt NCL is going to be checking for them, but in the future who knows.

I wonder how long it will be before the only straws allowed onboard are re-usable. NCL stopped providing straws for what they believe is a valid reason. Allowing plastic straws to be carried on by guests defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?

I would suspect that if NCL realizes that straws are important to their customers they will start supplying a biodegradable straw in each drink. As these become more widely used the price will decrease.

Plastics straws can be reused.. after I finish my first frozen drink, I will move it to the second, and third, and fourth, and.... Probably only need two straws per day.

And yes, I need them to keep my drinks from dumping on my face after half the liquid is gone. And I am not about to clean a straw on vacation.

Panic over. I've test driven stainless steel straws with homemade bahama mamas and they work fine. Just in case they are confiscated on boarding i also test drove my mouth. It also worked fine. I guess I'm good to go [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Panic over. I've test driven stainless steel straws with homemade bahama mamas and they work fine. Just in case they are confiscated on boarding i also test drove my mouth. It also worked fine. I guess I'm good to go [emoji106]

How do you keep them from becoming a Petri dish of bacteria?

By cleaning them

There’s no way I’m going to do the dishes when I’m on a cruise! I am Happy to pay the five bucks for 50 biodegradable straws that I can freely throw away (even into the ocean) when I’m done with them!

Don’t worry, the won’t confiscate them.

How are people getting on without straws in the frozen drinks??

we got paper straws as a door prize for a group gathering. great for frozen drinks! going to try to remember to pack the rest for the next one. we're considering investing in collapsible straws.

How do you keep them from becoming a Petri dish of bacteria?

So true. I am a clinical microbiologist and bacteria doesn't scare me. However, these "reusable" straws are a haven for mold because it is very hard to dry them after you have done your best washing them. No, thank you.

So true. I am a clinical microbiologist and bacteria doesn't scare me. However, these "reusable" straws are a haven for mold because it is very hard to dry them after you have done your best washing them. No, thank you.

Meh, we have used reusable straws at home with the kids for years and have not had an issue with them causing bacterial illness or otherwise.

There are probably fewer bacteria on my stainless steel straws after they've been washed and dried than there are on my, or your, toothbrush!