HELP Friend canceled entire cruise.

Taz2008

It shouldn't matter if the 'friend' cancelled and didn't get the full amount refunded. The OP did not cancel and was not given a choice. She should not lose any money because the friend is being such a jerk. Sounds like small claims court could very well be your only option.

There were five of us booked in two separate rooms. I was in a room that the person that did the booking got mad and canceled our entire cabin...... Goes to show you, Never trust a friend, Even one of 40 years! Please if any of you seasoned cruiser's can give me helpful info, I'd really appreciate it.

Wounded in Ohio

No advice. Sorry. What did you do to piss her (him?) off so bad?

It's why I sail solo....LOL :):):)

Agreed ... I have had the best trips since I've started travelling solo. I had asked a couple of friends if they wanted to take a cruise to Cuba with me. That was a big NO. So I went alone. It was fantastic. I had the best time.

Agreed ... I have had the best trips since I've started travelling solo. I had asked a couple of friends if they wanted to take a cruise to Cuba with me. That was a big NO. So I went alone. It was fantastic. I had the best time.

My daughter just booked her first solo cruise for next year and is very excited to be doing it on her own. Her friends are undependable in sticking to plans and she's cruise with us for more than a decade, so she said she was ready to do her own thing and make her own schedule.

One reason I love Carnival is that each person can pay their portion without any problem. When my sister and I cruise, we were each able to pay toward the cruise under our own name. Haven't found that yet with others, at least Royal Caribbean.

I have a friend that still owes me over $500 for a cruise we took in 2014. I know I'm never going to see the money so I don't even sweat it. Still a good friend of mine, but that was my choice.

Your situation is different. Seems like there is bad blood. That being said, I'd go after your friend and one way or another get my $ back.

Since the OP wasn't specific in reference to when they were suppose to sail, I'm going to assume it was after final payment date and they weren't entitled to any refund. It does suck that the friend cancelled and lost not only her money but the OP's, but at the same time she didn't explain why she got mad and cancelled in the first place. Maybe the friend got mad for a reason - still stinks, but who knows what happened.

My next assumption would be that she doesn't have $400 to give to the OP. If they had "cancel for any reason" insurance, wouldn't that take care of the problem? Either way, it's a crappy situation, but if the "friend" never received a refund, I don't think the OP has a small claims case. What if the person had to cancel because she was ill (which is probably more likely the answer she would give in court)? If she had a legitimate reason to cancel, I doubt that she would be made to take an additional $400 loss on top of the amount she had paid. This is one of those Buyer Beware cases.

If I'm not mistaken, when cabins are booked by individuals, accounts can be set up separately, So each person pays his/her own way, not dependent on one another. Years ago I traveled with a friend as well, but each of us had our own accounts pre cruise and on our on board accounts.

Once on board yes, but to book, unless a TA is handling it, one person is the main occupant and they will pay the full amount should #2 bail.

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry for not getting back to ya'll. Here is "The Rest of the Story" Our plans to go on this cruise started a year ago. All was great for months! Then this spring, she met a MAN. She then started mentioning canceling for every little thing! Like, we wanted different color shirts, what we thought we wanted to do when we got to a port, she wanted us to dress alike on certain days, even had us buy 3 different outfits for this cruise to match each other, so when to wear what was an issue with her! It got to be beyond FUN any more. She picked the cruise, she picked the dates, she picked our clothes, she was trying to pick what we did while in ports, so when we didn't want to do the same things, she got mad! All We, the other 3 left still going on the cruise, say she was all along wanting to make us mad, and just looking for a reason to cancel so she can stay home with her new man! She has removed us from her friend's list on Facebook and blocked us. We have been able to look at her Facebook threw another friend to see what it looks like she isn't going to waste her vacation time that she had for our cruise Oct 13 th. She is getting married. Now, if she had just came out and told us all of this, that she would rather just stayed home with him and got married, we all could have still been friends. But NO, she had to be a drama queen and act like a teenager.

The other 3 of us are 53 years old and have moved me into their room. One other sided with our FRIEND and has also ended our friendship.

Thank you all for your advice. Yes, I am just out the $400. and Yes, I had to pay again to be added to the other room. Yes, I paid THIS time myself online!

Since the OP wasn't specific in reference to when they were suppose to sail, I'm going to assume it was after final payment date and they weren't entitled to any refund. It does suck that the friend cancelled and lost not only her money but the OP's, but at the same time she didn't explain why she got mad and cancelled in the first place. Maybe the friend got mad for a reason - still stinks, but who knows what happened.

My next assumption would be that she doesn't have $400 to give to the OP. If they had "cancel for any reason" insurance, wouldn't that take care of the problem? Either way, it's a crappy situation, but if the "friend" never received a refund, I don't think the OP has a small claims case. What if the person had to cancel because she was ill (which is probably more likely the answer she would give in court)? If she had a legitimate reason to cancel, I doubt that she would be made to take an additional $400 loss on top of the amount she had paid. This is one of those Buyer Beware cases.

YES, she got a refund! My money! No, I didn't get any of it

Arrgghhh, another bait and switch? I notice that the OP hasn't come back to respond. Oh well, good advice by all LOL

No Mam, just a busy mom, grandmother, also caretaker of my mother whom I just had a smashing 80 th. birthday party for that 40 people came in from 4 different states to my home to celebrate it.

Thank you for your reply:halo:

I'm assuming your "friend" is refusing to give you any money back?

Correct. She claims she lost $400. Well I know how much I paid to her for my cruise, it was $400. So she didn't lose a thing, She lost my money, not hers.

The room with the 3. Can it fit 4? If so, have the room captain call, and add you to the room. (if you want to go ultra cheap with 4 in a room). Or book another room and go single. (most expensive). Lastly, does one of the 3 want to cancel in the room and go with you in your room. This would be more costly for the friend.

Lastly, accept that you just lost $400.00 and forget about it. Not the end of the world. Just don't drink on the ship, and you will break even.

I have done just that. The other room that had 2 in it has put me in theirs. With adding me to their room, I am the 3rd person so I am cheaper to add. They know that I have already paid $400. so they are not expecting me to split their room 3 ways, only paying the cost of adding the 3rd person rate.

There is now only 3 of us going.

Thank you

• Like 1

What a bum! Sounds like her car may be in need of a set of new tires in the near future due to some unexplained nails.

The car just may need a tuneup. ;)

I hear Florida is nice in October, glad we decided to do some sightseeing on our return from the cruise ;)

OP: Have you asked for your money back from her? What would be her reason for NOT repaying you for your portion paid? Is she mad at you and in turn is keeping your money? I guess I can see if someone gets upset then in a knee jerk reaction just cancels the whole room (mean and uncalled for without prior notice). This still does not give someone the right to keep someone's money in the long run, if she is a friend for such a long time then can you just ask her for reimbursement?

YES, Said the money was hers that she lost, Yes. We have all tried to contact her. It seems she doesn't want any contact with any of us. Will not take our calls, texts, nothing. Has blocked us from all contact!

I posted an update that explains what we think has happened.

I hope the 3 of you have an absolutely beautiful cruise. There should be a lot less tension without the former friend along.

Yes, without a doubt we will be less stressed! That was the purpose of this cruise. To get away. Wasnt feeling like I was getting away from anything with the stress she was causing us.