How Quick Royal Cancels for Non-payment....

As a result of a final payment date miscommunication on the part of our TA, Royal cancelled our cruise. We only knew because we got the cruise planner cancellation email. We saw the cancel almost immediately when it was received at night. We actually hadn't been contacted by the TA yet about the cancel.

So.... facts of how the cancel for non-payment went down:

We were at day 90 on 8/27. We were cancelled on 8/27 apparently for non-payment. Our TA has requested Royal reinstate the booking in an available cabin, at the same price, and Royal will not do that.

I'm certain others have asked about what happens if they non-pay their booking. I'm posting this to tell you how it happened to us, and how adamant Royal is to not cut us a break, even with requests from our TA.

Yes, this was a mistake on the part of the TA. Our TA is our DD, and we are making a decision to not make waves for her at work. Thus, no suggestions on how we should push back at the TA are needed. We also knew we were at day 90, but our communication said we had until 8/28 plus 7 day grace period (the communication mistake). Just simply a mistake. I guess a mistake that is easier to accept since its our DD that made the mistake.... maybe a little lesson in there somewhere about not getting too upset when a random employee somewhere makes a mistake....... maybe.

In the end, it will get fixed, we'll go on our cruise in our original cabin, or one just like it. We'll have a great time, and laugh about the problem that came up. It will be fine and we aren't getting upset about it. C'est La Vie!

And yes, all of our cruise planner items were cancelled.

Oh wow, this is very good to know. I have a cruise booked and actually completely forgotten what my deadline to pay is. I have a seperate Celebirty cruise that gave me email alert reminders and what not. I figured to check on my Royal cruise and saw I have like 7 weeks left. Guess I should just pay asap to avoid the risk.

Thank you for letting us know. I had always worried about that, so have made it a practice to contact my TA 3-5 days before the due date to make final payment. Just curious - what happened with your deposit?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh wow, this is very good to know. I have a cruise booked and actually completely forgotten what my deadline to pay is. I have a seperate Celebirty cruise that gave me email alert reminders and what not. I figured to check on my Royal cruise and saw I have like 7 weeks left. Guess I should just pay asap to avoid the risk.

So when would your final payment be? If my math is correct you are at somewhere around 49 days, 7 weeks at 7days. IF payment is due at 90 days, wouldn't you be past the final and cancelled? When we sail Princess payment is due at 75 days.

You should have something in writing about your final payment date. If you have that from your travel agent and you attempted to make payment before that, it's squarely the responsibility of the agent. And if you're not willing to hold the agent to it, then what's the point of bothering with a third party in your travel transaction? And while it might be a nice thing to count on, the travel agent really isn't responsible to remind you when that payment date is if they did give it to you when you made the deposit. Though again, if they aren't providing you with useful services, then why bother using them at all? They're being paid for their effort.

Whew........ we are rebooked. Note, some of the details are still squishy, so I may not have everything firm.

We have the same cabin category (1L), but maybe a different cabin (no biggie). But its at a slightly higher rate (bummer). And we have the same reservation number. We had a refundable booking previously, so it looks like either they will apply the prior deposit, or refund it. Our TA got a bizarre answer on this, so not 100% sure which way its rolling yet, but she has another call with them yet today. Got our MyVegas OBC back ($250), which is huge since it isn't available at that level now. Lost our dining seating (late) and now have MTD (not our preference). TA working on getting our drink package and Voom back. But drink package is only $1 pp/pd higher than where we booked, so its not huge. VOOM is much more, so that and the dining is her focus along with clarifying the deposit status so we can make our payment (cuz we are within final payment period now LOL).

All in all, some sleep was lost last night, some panic. But, in the end, we're still going on a cruise in <90 days on the same ship, in the same cabin class. As I said, C'est La Vie!

You should have something in writing about your final payment date. If you have that from your travel agent and you attempted to make payment before that, it's squarely the responsibility of the agent. And if you're not willing to hold the agent to it, then what's the point of bothering with a third party in your travel transaction? And while it might be a nice thing to count on, the travel agent really isn't responsible to remind you when that payment date is if they did give it to you when you made the deposit. Though again, if they aren't providing you with useful services, then why bother using them at all? They're being paid for their effort.

We have an email from our TA that says our due date was 8/28 with a one week grace. And the attachment was correct, saying due date of 8/20. We didn't read the attachment as the due date was in the body of the email. Hence the miscommunication.

As said, our TA is our daughter. At the time of the booking, we booked through her so she gets the commission and gets bonuses, etc at work. Pretty simple. In her new role at the same company, she is no longer commissioned/bonused based on travel sales. Our cruises next year are booked direct with Royal. She isn't our TA of record for those cruises.

We could hold the agency's feet to the fire, but then it reflects poorly on our daughter for making the mistake. That could have further and much bigger implications on a personal level.

My goal for posting this was so others would know: 1) when they cancel 2) how quickly 3) how it goes down.

You are very lucky to have been able to rebook and regain most of your extras at a little extra cost. There could be a lesson learned here for a lot of folks, stay on top of your reservation and make sure you know when final payment is and pay at least 3 days before to account for any delays to the cruise lines system. Actually, on my cruise next week I got 3 final payment reminders by email....of course if you DON'T check you email on a timely basis...well....

Because I normally have a few cruises booked, I have a list of what is booked and the due dates. I always write down that it is due a week before the actual date, less chance of me missing it. Also with some agencies you can go ahead and give them your credit card info at booking and it will (should be) done automatically.

Yet another classic example of why we no longer go through a TA. Ours was lack of communication on a price drop we noticed - our TA was on vacation and no one at the TA office would touch it. We couldn't do it because it was booked via a TA. Then again, this was our first cruise, but never again. Doing all of our own travel plans henceforth. It's not worth the free excursion.

Yet another classic example of why we no longer go through a TA. Ours was lack of communication on a price drop we noticed - our TA was on vacation and no one at the TA office would touch it. We couldn't do it because it was booked via a TA. Then again, this was our first cruise, but never again. Doing all of our own travel plans henceforth. It's not worth the free excursion.

(y)

Looking at a reminder of final payment from my TA. Thats one thing I like about having a TA, they look out for us.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Actually, on my cruise next week I got 3 final payment reminders by email....of course if you DON'T check you email on a timely basis...well....

I have only gotten final payment reminders by email on the rare occasions when I booked directly with the cruise line. I have never received them when I booked through my TA although I assume that Royal Caribbean sent the reminders to the TA. However, my TA (and I assume some others) takes my credit card info whenever I book a cruise and automatically charges the final payment 7-10 days before it becomes due.

(y)(y)

I think your daughter is fortunate that this happened to you and not another client. My first thought was why would anyone (agent or agency) put the wrong due date and the info about a grace period in the email? To my way of thinking, it should be the other way around.

The due date should have been in the email (the date the agency wanted the payment) and the actual date the cruise line had to have the payment in the attachment. I use an agency and the due date to them is always 8 days before the actual date that Royal Caribbean has to have the money.

My agency also sends out a reminder about a week before they want the money, thus ensuring there is no question as to when it's due to them. I also look at my booking info carefully to be sure I know when things are due etc.

To me, it is far easier to send a reminder etc by the agency than it is to have the agency try to re-instate a reservation etc. I do hope your daughter learned something from this as it sounds, to me, that she is relatively new on booking cruises. If not, I'm surprised this hasn't happened previously.

In any event, enjoy the cruise.

That sucks, but glad you got it fixed and while it's a mistake, it's kind of good that DD goofed on the parents' booking. Whew.

That said, Royal sends out 14 day, 7 day and then one or 2 more final payment reminders, including one the day of final. So, for the benefit of others, agents get plenty of reminders that final is upcoming, at least from Royal!

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Maybe when you have a TA this doesn't happen, but for my upcoming November cruise, I received emails regularly in the two to three weeks leading up to final payment. I booked directly with Royal. They were not going to let me forget my final payment! Plus, I had it on my calendar with reminders, as well.

I set up a reminder in my phone calendar to remind me monthly to make my payment. Last cruise I used a TA and she had my cc on file and I would call her or email her on how much to pay. I would get a receipt emailed to me the same day. I always pay mine off 3 weeks before the due date. I keep an excel spread sheet with running totals on how much has been paid and what is still due.

So sorry to hear about your mix-up and your daughter probably feels awful and so responsible. Thank goodness you were able to get rebooked. My TA receipt actually shows my final payment date 5 days before RC’s Original receipt (before I switched to a TA). I make it a habit to mark my calendar to pay 2 days before the TA’s final payment date.

As for MTD, when you board go to the dining room and ask if you can switch to late dining. Also, I think you may be able to get a “deal” when you board for VOOM.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!