Royal acknowledges too hard mattresses?

BillOh

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I have one similar that I've used on several cruises.  Be sure to put it under the mattress pad.  It eliminates any noise factor from moving around on it, and keeps it in place.

I also use the klymit inflatable pad, it works great and rolls up quite small.  I also bring my own pillow.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:18 PM, SPacificbound said:

Since 2015 we have taken our own 3 or 4 inch gel foam onboard with us and just leave it when cruise is done. This is only on Royal Caribbean ships.

I have enough arthritis pain, I don't need any more.

Yes we do the same. Anytime I find the toppers on sale I pick a few up for our cruises. I just lave them on ship. Best $100 I can spend for the week

On 9/1/2018 at 10:29 PM, khm1 said:

I may have been the one to start the use of these pads! I posted about this a year or two ago. I was so terribly uncomfortable on one of my cruises, it was either find a solution or stop cruising with RCCL. In desperation, I ordered one on Amazon (I think in 2015 or 2016.) It has made my cruise sleeping experience so much better. I have been on at least 3 cruises with my Klymit. My husband loves a hard bed and begged me to get him a Klymit too! Now we both cruise with these.

They easily pack into a carry-on and are re-usable. There is no need to buy a foam pad for every cruise that only gets disposed of. They are very easy to inflate and very comfortable. I started with the standard size/thickness, then moved up to the Luxe version. It is much more comfortable IMO. I have attached photos of the regular (green) and the Luxe (grey) packed so all who are interested can see just how compact they pack up. When you put two side-by-side, they fit Royal’s beds perfectly. They even have the curve on the end. I put them under the mattress pad. I don’t need to adjust or inflate them all week. The Luxe is $74 and the regular is $54 on Amazon as of today.

Luxe: https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Luxe-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B00J972O8Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535854372&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=klymit+static+v+luxe&psc=1

Regular: https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Green/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535854444&sr=8-4&keywords=klymit+static+v+luxe2548c6f3dd27ad61fd17977e3c6dc292.jpgadec97eb36ae0835e9e7ddce7fd55dcc.jpg6a38f14a7dc94b4ed53c0699813ae2e8.jpg

We bought one about 2 years ago. We hated it. So now we take a foam topper and leave it behind each cruise 

1 hour ago, Katems75 said:

Does anyone know if the Harmony beds are the same as what Oasis was in November of 2018?

Maybe but only in the sense that RCI buys some low bidder mattresses for all their ships. - the ship changes mattresses all the time so exactly what you get is a crap shoot. 

Call me CA-weird, but I have a problem taking a large piece of foam on a cruise, and leaving it for garbage in the room.  And, because of this:

old foam mattress pad needs to be processed in a specialized facility

Not trying to be judgey, it just doesn't settle well with me.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pcur said:

Call me CA-weird, but I have a problem taking a large piece of foam on a cruise, and leaving it for garbage in the room.  And, because of this:

The cabin attendants are always happy to take them, they don't go to garbage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, tugboat said:

I Order the luxe on Friday got it today tried it on the floor looking forward to our Upcoming Liberty Cruise, it feels great. I let everyone know once I return

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Royal knows there is a problem but continues to put these horrible beds in their rooms, unless you travel in a suite. Their attitude is pay up or shut up, I refuse to spend $89.00 on a blow up mattress to carry on a cruise ship. I will move to a different line. I have two future cruises scheduled and neither of them is on Royal Caribbean. 

On 4/10/2023 at 11:35 AM, pcur said:

I am not Cali but I have a huge problem with buying a mattress pad to carry on a cruise I just spent thousands of bucks on. 

4 minutes ago, Bigorange&crimsoncruiser said:

Royal knows there is a problem but continues to put these horrible beds in their rooms, unless you travel in a suite. Their attitude is pay up or shut up

We sailed in an Owner’s Suite on Allure in October and it was just as horrible as the balcony and interior beds we’ve had. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 8:47 AM, A&L_Ont said:

For once it’s not @Biker19 brining up the old threads from the past. The search function does work for those that might wonder. 

Funny same problem in RC continues all these years later..........yes I searched for it to see if the Odyssey was the ONLY ship with a shitty mattresses. 

1 minute ago, monorail81 said:

We sailed in an Owner’s Suite on Allure in October and it was just as horrible as the balcony and interior beds we’ve had. 

I was in a Grand Suite on Navigator right after the shut down was over, when my Concierge emailed me I told him I had spinal issues and could not handle the rock hard beds. Our bed was perfectly padded. I believe it had a memory foam pad on it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bigorange&crimsoncruiser said:

I was in a Grand Suite on Navigator right after the shut down was over, when my Concierge emailed me I told him I had spinal issues and could not handle the rock hard beds. Our bed was perfectly padded. I believe it had a memory foam pad on it. 

I wonder if the Special Needs folks could help me with that because I have back issues. That will probably be the only time I ever get to sail in a full suite. We typically do Jr Suites now and don’t have access to the concierge. Worth a shot, right? 

50 minutes ago, Bigorange&crimsoncruiser said:

I am not Cali but I have a huge problem with buying a mattress pad to carry on a cruise I just spent thousands of bucks on. 

I look at it as a "once-and-done" purchase.  I consider a cruise ship a hotel, and I certainly like to be in a comfy bed no matter where I am.  Mine rolls up into a sack that fits in my 22" suitcase, and has it's own pump attachment to inflate and deflate.  Very nice for someone who can "pay the price" in back issues for sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress.

So, to me it's money well spent.

I also don't want to roll the dice on whether the extra padding they MIGHT provide is enough.  This way my comfort goes with me when I travel.

Edited by pcur

On 4/10/2023 at 12:35 PM, pcur said:

Well, if that is the concern, post on the roll call for the cruise after yours offering to leave to mattress pad for a someone on that cruise.  I bet you get a taker (or six, lol).  Roll up the pad, put the recipient’s cruise date and cabin number on the mattress pad.  Ask your steward to take it to that cabin.  Ask the recipient to pass the pad along in hopes the chain continues while the pad in in decent shape.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I look at it as a "once-and-done" purchase.  I consider a cruise ship a hotel, and I certainly like to be in a comfy bed no matter where I am.  Mine rolls up into a sack that fits in my 22" suitcase, and has it's own pump attachment to inflate and deflate.  Very nice for someone who can "pay the price" in back issues for sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress.

So, to me it's money well spent.

I also don't want to roll the dice on whether the extra padding they MIGHT provide is enough.  This way my comfort goes with me when I travel.

I hear you that is why these beds are really disappointing on a RC ship. I have a ton of metal in my spine and  it really sets me back to sleep on a terrible bed. I love the travel and we do what we we need to stay comfortable. I am not buying a topper to throw away under any circumstance. 

We also use a Klymit pad. We can blow it up to the hardness or softness we want. Easy to roll up to put in it’s pouch, but now I just fold it up and lay across my clothing before I close up the luggage. It’s like it’s not even in there.

Are the beds firm?  Yes, they are.  Are they horribly hard:, No, not to us.  I sleep so well on a cruise.  We've done 8 cruises since restart and all the beds have been the same, really firm.  They can't make everyone happy.  We have a sleep number bed at home and I keep my side at 45 and DH keeps his at 50 so hardly as firm, but we do fine.  

9 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

I disembarked from Quantum on April 12 and am still having neck problems from the giant, rock hard pillows.  I had to take painkillers to sleep because the mattress hurt my hips so badly.  Never had this problem before!

We bring pillows but we don't leave them behind...

On 4/10/2023 at 12:35 PM, pcur said:

Every time our attendant is happy to take. We had one attendant who had his own but said he could sell it to many other workers. Lol