Royal acknowledges too hard mattresses?

BillOh

Look into the Klymit V inflatable mattress pad. If got one and haven't used it yet, but others on CC love it. Get the wider version if possible.

I may have been the one to start the use of these pads! I posted about this a year or two ago. I was so terribly uncomfortable on one of my cruises, it was either find a solution or stop cruising with RCCL. In desperation, I ordered one on Amazon (I think in 2015 or 2016.) It has made my cruise sleeping experience so much better. I have been on at least 3 cruises with my Klymit. My husband loves a hard bed and begged me to get him a Klymit too! Now we both cruise with these.

They easily pack into a carry-on and are re-usable. There is no need to buy a foam pad for every cruise that only gets disposed of. They are very easy to inflate and very comfortable. I started with the standard size/thickness, then moved up to the Luxe version. It is much more comfortable IMO. I have attached photos of the regular (green) and the Luxe (grey) packed so all who are interested can see just how compact they pack up. When you put two side-by-side, they fit Royal’s beds perfectly. They even have the curve on the end. I put them under the mattress pad. I don’t need to adjust or inflate them all week. The Luxe is $74 and the regular is $54 on Amazon as of today.

Luxe: https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Luxe-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B00J972O8Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535854372&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=klymit+static+v+luxe&psc=1

Regular: https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Green/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535854444&sr=8-4&keywords=klymit+static+v+luxe2548c6f3dd27ad61fd17977e3c6dc292.jpgadec97eb36ae0835e9e7ddce7fd55dcc.jpg6a38f14a7dc94b4ed53c0699813ae2e8.jpg

I think Royal has gotten the word that their newer beds are too hard, I used the special needs email to request a mattress topper for my upcoming cruise. The reply I got was, "All mattresses now come with a double mattress pad. Egg crates toppers are no longer available for sanitary reasons."

I booked RCI solely because their mattresses feel like concrete .If they have a softer mattress I shall no longer cruise with them.

I have spinal stenosis and every disc in my back and neck are herniated.i can only sleep comfortably on concrete.

Khm1, which two fit the RC beds, two green or two grey ?

Pipo, that may be the case for people without issues but others need to have padding in some areas. I have a firm mattress but it's not hard. It's a posturepedic and has good support but also the right amount of padding for a comfortable sleep.

Khm1, which two fit the RC beds, two green or two grey ?

Pipo, that may be the case for people without issues but others need to have padding in some areas. I have a firm mattress but it's not hard. It's a posturepedic and has good support but also the right amount of padding for a comfortable sleep.

We have one of each. But I feel that two of the grey would be even better. I feel the same as you. I want good support, but padding to be comfortable.

I booked RCI solely because their mattresses feel like concrete .If they have a softer mattress I shall no longer cruise with them.

I have spinal stenosis and every disc in my back and neck are herniated.i can only sleep comfortably on concrete.

Have similar issues. Herniated disc's, Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease. 70% Disabled by Military. Firm is good, soft I'd rather sleep on the floor. Sleep well on Royal beds...

We were on Grandeur in January with the new hard mattresses. While not really comfortable, they were a big improvement on the former ancient "trough" beds that had a big dip in the middle.

I am looking into the pads suggested here. My husband and I are both thin without much natural padding so these might be handy. Thanks for the info!

This there just goes to show you that it's impossible to please everyone. Most people are happy about getting softer beds and then there are 2 people with bad backs that wanted and liked the super hard beds. It's just the way things go.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There is always the floor

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I may have been the one to start the use of these pads! I posted about this a year or two ago. I was so terribly uncomfortable on one of my cruises, it was either find a solution or stop cruising with RCCL. In desperation, I ordered one on Amazon (I think in 2015 or 2016.) It has made my cruise sleeping experience so much better. I have been on at least 3 cruises with my Klymit. My husband loves a hard bed and begged me to get him a Klymit too! Now we both cruise with these.

They easily pack into a carry-on and are re-usable. There is no need to buy a foam pad for every cruise that only gets disposed of. They are very easy to inflate and very comfortable. I started with the standard size/thickness, then moved up to the Luxe version. It is much more comfortable IMO. I have attached photos of the regular (green) and the Luxe (grey) packed so all who are interested can see just how compact they pack up. When you put two side-by-side, they fit Royal’s beds perfectly. They even have the curve on the end. I put them under the mattress pad. I don’t need to adjust or inflate them all week. The Luxe is $74 and the regular is $54 on Amazon as of today.

Luxe: https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Luxe-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B00J972O8Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535854372&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=klymit+static+v+luxe&psc=1

Regular: https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Green/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535854444&sr=8-4&keywords=klymit+static+v+luxe2548c6f3dd27ad61fd17977e3c6dc292.jpgadec97eb36ae0835e9e7ddce7fd55dcc.jpg6a38f14a7dc94b4ed53c0699813ae2e8.jpg

How are they inflated?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How are they inflated?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have a valve on the corner that you blow in to. It really is pretty easy. It only takes a couple of minutes to do. It isn’t like blowing up a regular air mattress. It is much easier than even blowing up a pool toy or beach ball. They are also pretty easy to deflate and pack away.

Yes. Both of us have back issues and one thing is that there can be a big diff between firm and hard. Concrete is hard. Our mattress at home is firm and good quality but we added a 2" pad a couple of years ago. That little extra softness on top of a good mattress makes a lot of difference.

@ khm1, thank you so much for the link! Getting nearly paranoid about the 'new' RC mattresses from reading this thread.

Yes. Both of us have back issues and one thing is that there can be a big diff between firm and hard. Concrete is hard. Our mattress at home is firm and good quality but we added a 2" pad a couple of years ago. That little extra softness on top of a good mattress makes a lot of difference.

@ khm1, thank you so much for the link! Getting nearly paranoid about the 'new' RC mattresses from reading this thread.

No problem! I think of taking these Klymit pads as insurance for good sleep. I have in read Amazon reviews that people use them on the floor while stranded at airports. I take them with me to hotels when I’m not familiar with the individual hotel or hotel brand and the quality of he bed may be in question. I have used it in a hotel only once, but it saved me from a ruined trip due to poor sleep.

They have a valve on the corner that you blow in to. It really is pretty easy. It only takes a couple of minutes to do. It isn’t like blowing up a regular air mattress. It is much easier than even blowing up a pool toy or beach ball. They are also pretty easy to deflate and pack away.

Do you remake the bed and put it under the sheets and if so does the steward remake the bed without it?

Do you remake the bed and put it under the sheets and if so does the steward remake the bed without it?

I put it between the mattress and the mattress pad. I leave it in all week. I think the stewards know that many passengers don’t like the mattresses. I have just mentioned to the steward to please leave the Klymit pad alone. I’ve never had a problem.

My wife and I just cruised and the mattress was painfully hard. She had back surgery last November and couldn't wait to get home to our 15" pillowtop with a memory foam topper. We're both side sleepers and found the mattresses way too firm and uncomfortable to not wake up with aches and pains. I guess it's to be expected when it's over a slab of plywood and not a box spring at least.:o

Re your last, yeah, that's why I appreciated those older "too-soft" mattresses. They were acceptable compensation for a less-than-optimum platform underneath.

On top of chronic sciatica, I was recently informed of a compressed disc in my lumbar. Anticipating a week of back and hip pain from a too-hard mattress is very close to being enough to make me cancel the cruise. I seriously hope RCI does something about these mattresses before our cruise next fall. Acknowledging a problem is one thing, fixing it is another thing.

... I have in read Amazon reviews that people use them on the floor while stranded at airports. ...

Wish I'd had one of those when I got stranded in Spain a few years ago. Lol... sheesh...

Thanks from me too, sounds like a must-have from here forward.

Khm1, if you just have one on your side of the bed does it cause any problems for the other person sleeping? The hard mattress doesn't bother DH but just wondering if only using one topper would be a problem.

No. It doesn’t cause a problem unless you or your partner roll over to the other side. Then you would feel the difference for sure. The first time I took mine, my DH did not have one. He kept sneaking over to my side when I wasn’t in the bed! I had to prod him to move a few times.

Edited by khm1

Look into the Klymit V inflatable mattress pad. If got one and haven't used it yet, but others on CC love it. Get the wider version if possible.

We took someone else's advice from CC last spring and bought these for our cruise on Navigator. It was a GODSEND! I could never have survived without it!

We took someone else's advice from CC last spring and bought these for our cruise on Navigator. It was a GODSEND! I could never have survived without it!

We totally agree. Took granddaughters on a spring break cruise on the Navigator and the sofa bed was hard as a rock. One grand used the Klymet pad all week and loved it. It is crazy to me a cruiseline would pick such low quality mattresses that a whole group of cruisers feel the need to pack mattress pads.

Come on Royal, fix this problem.