Royal acknowledges too hard mattresses?

BillOh

I don't think this will help much at all. Their double mattress pad is just 2 layers of the quilted pad that really doesn't provide much cushioning at all, in my opinion. I'll continue to take my own king-size eggcrate foam pad, or ask for extra duvet/comforters and re-make the bed myself with those as a last resort. Their beds were so hard my Mom once resorted to putting pillows under the sheets, but that was too lumpy and uneven for me!

We bought and carry one of the individual inflatable mattresses that we can slip under the sheets. It saved our last cruise. It was made by Klymit I ordered it from Amazon and I think they were about $60. each. They weigh next to nothing and roll up and go right back in the suitcase.

I've tried inflatable pads, but they just don't add the "cush" I need. I'm ordering one of these and having it shipped to my pre-cruise hotel with my Amazon Prime membership. These are prices for queen size pads, which is what the two twin beds in the cabin make when put together:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=gel+foam+mattress+topper+queen&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agel+foam+mattress+topper+queen&qid=1535576621&sort=price-asc-rank

I have 3-inch gel memory foam like these on our bed at home, but 2-inch will do for the cruise ship.

• Like 1

I've tried inflatable pads, but they just don't add the "cush" I need. I'm ordering one of these and having it shipped to my pre-cruise hotel with my Amazon Prime membership. These are prices for queen size pads, which is what the two twin beds in the cabin make when put together:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=gel+foam+mattress+topper+queen&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agel+foam+mattress+topper+queen&qid=1535576621&sort=price-asc-rank

I have 3-inch gel memory foam like these on our bed at home, but 2-inch will do for the cruise ship.

Yeah, that's basically what I pack along, but the 2 twins make to a king-size and my king-size fit perfectly in width, and I just trimmed the outer edges a bit to fit Royal's curved mattresses.

We were on harmony last year and had requested a topper. They told me they can put an extra pad on. My husband has had 2 surgeries on his back. It took 4 toppers for him to be comfortable.

We just did freedom in April and requested some toppers and we got a foam crate. Which we were happy with.

I don't think this will help much at all. Their double mattress pad is just 2 layers of the quilted pad that really doesn't provide much cushioning at all, in my opinion.

At least on Majesty is only helped enough to make it tolerable.

At least on Majesty is only helped enough to make it tolerable.

This is what I thought on the Rhapsody several months ago, too. I took the heavy duvet, folded it to fit my side of the bed, and it made a better cushion under me. Luckily, we find their duvets way too warm to sleep with, and it ends up on the floor every night, anyway.

I decided after that cruise that an extra $50 per cruise to bring my own gel memory foam pad right out of the box, is definitely worth it.

I don't think this will help much at all. Their double mattress pad is just 2 layers of the quilted pad that really doesn't provide much cushioning at all, in my opinion. I'll continue to take my own king-size eggcrate foam pad, or ask for extra duvet/comforters and re-make the bed myself with those as a last resort. Their beds were so hard my Mom once resorted to putting pillows under the sheets, but that was too lumpy and uneven for me!

That is what happened to us on the Radiance in July. Double quilted pad was just as hard as the bed. I got a 2nd one put on and it was not much difference. I felt like I was sleeping on plywood!

It is possible to request they put a comforter under the sheets? Are their comforters even thick enough to make a difference?

Yes, I had a cabin steward do that once when they were out of egg crates. It did help, so it might be worth asking. We now just have a couple of twin-size memory foam toppers that are always part of our checked baggage whenever we cruise on Royal. It's a bit sad when you have to bring your own bedding anymore to be able sleep on a cruise. :(

Yes, I had a cabin steward do that once when they were out of egg crates. It did help, so it might be worth asking. We now just have a couple of twin-size memory foam toppers that are always part of our checked baggage whenever we cruise on Royal. It's a bit sad when you have to bring your own bedding anymore to be able sleep on a cruise. :(

That's a shame! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to bring a topper, so I'll request a comforter be added.

We have a GS on the Navigator sailing from Southampton coming up and we had been wondering about the mattress situation. My wife has had major spinal surgery and had two metal rods inserted in her back some years ago. She is in constant discomfort and a hard bed will really cause her a lot of pain. As a result I have been considering this topper to take with us.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-synthetic-soft-touch-washable-dual-layer-mattress-topper/p1519431?size=single-90-x-190cm

We have considered memory foam but apart from it needing to be left a day or two to 'inflate' itself, my wife finds she sinks into memory foam to such a degree it holds her so she cant turn over easily. I love it but had to send back a memory foam mattress we bought some years ago because of this.

The problem will be it will have to be removed on the last night so that it can be packed in a suitcase and left outside the cabin for appropriate collection. I suppose we will have to ask for an RCI topper for that last night:(. I think I would rather do this than risk the consequences if we dont and I am so glad that the OP started this thread because we would never have given it a thought..

I wonder of the curved shape of the RCI mattress is likely to cause a problem with fitting the topper I have in mind ?.

The best mattress I have had was on a recent trip on Carnival Vista. Wow very nice. and they have a 3rd level at the pool with a lot of nice shady seating.

Just got back from Baltics and Norway on the Serenade and I had the worse time sleeping. Was awful. Thank goodness I only have one more reservation on RCI and it is Symphony in 2020.

RCI should really rethink their beds. To think Carnival newer ships are much nicer and not just beds either. Food was really good too. Sorry RCI but bigger ships and bragging rights are getting annoying if you can get a good night sleep or find nice shady spots by the pool.

My wife and I just cruised and the mattress was painfully hard. She had back surgery last November and couldn't wait to get home to our 15" pillowtop with a memory foam topper. We're both side sleepers and found the mattresses way too firm and uncomfortable to not wake up with aches and pains. I guess it's to be expected when it's over a slab of plywood and not a box spring at least.:o

And there is no way to really get comfortable with two twins put together. The gap will grow over night.

But using about 6 towels does help a bit. I guess the problem is having rooms that need to be for two beds vs one bed. oh well. Like chair hogs,,,, will never fully be resolved. But RCI does have hardest beds at sea these days.

I seem to recall that a year ago, people were complaining that the mattresses were too soft. When we sailed on Grandeur in December, we were the first users of the new mattresses. We thought they were very comfortable, and are looking forward to sleeping on similar ones again in a few months.

Our only problem with the mattresses is the gap between the two sides. It grows during the night and is very uncomfortable as one of us always falls in. The stateroom attendant will fix it every day but it gets bad the next night. Anybody have a solution for this? What is the 6 towels remedy?

Our only problem with the mattresses is the gap between the two sides. It grows during the night and is very uncomfortable as one of us always falls in. The stateroom attendant will fix it every day but it gets bad the next night. Anybody have a solution for this? What is the 6 towels remedy?

It's the bed frames that scoot apart. Take 2 "C" clamps with you: one at each end.

On Allure now. Our mattress is like Gibraltar, a rock.

Please don't say that. Will be on Allure next month and was hoping they would be a little softer than what I had on Adventure. I'll have to figure out what to take to fix that. I have a hip problem and it's torture on a hard mattress.

Please don't say that. Will be on Allure next month and was hoping they would be a little softer than what I had on Adventure. I'll have to figure out what to take to fix that. I have a hip problem and it's torture on a hard mattress.

Look into the Klymit V inflatable mattress pad. If got one and haven't used it yet, but others on CC love it. Get the wider version if possible.

I’m still surprised that RCI has been so slow to catch on to the importance of mattresses and bedding. HAL and Princess made the change over years ago. RCI mattresses are very uncomfortable and I can generally sleep fine on a firm mattress.

Worst part of cruising RCI. I wonder if Celebrity mattresses are the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums