ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

By Wednesday the Escape will be 550 nm south of SC. Bermuda is not (and will not) be a safer port for at least the next 7 days as it will remain off the the northeast of Florence. Right now the storm is still 450nm southeast of Bermuda and they are experiencing significant swells with sea models expecting 30+ft seas wed-fri. Bermuda is simply not an option at all for the next week.

I agree it is possible we can't tender at GSC, but I still think they made the right choice.

I just want to wholeheartedly thank you for being the one voice of statistical reasoning on this thread. We are sailing with another couple (four adults total) and if they weren't invested in this trip to be with us, we may have cancelled using trip insurance and taken the 25% loss. They are being optimistic about it, we were not. There is so much misinformation and panic posting on this and other sites that one's head can spin about what we are facing.

One minute we feel terrified that we will spend a whole week being bounced around (and for my husband with Parkinson's, that would not be great), but then you find yourself hoping it may all turn out okay.

I like the fact that you have posted some very informative statistics and facts and I am going to hold out hope that NCL will do the right thing.

However, I do have one question. Much has been said that we will make it to Florida ahead of the storm before she comes in contact with the East Coast. But what are the chances we may get "trapped" on the other side and not be able to sail back and be delayed a day or two?

Thanks again.

Florence could turn out to have a slight affect on Bermuda itself. That does not mean diverting was wrong. With the east to west track towards the US mainland the seas are going to get very rough as Florence strengthens. So sailing there into the storm bands would not be a picnic. The ships returning from the Bahamas are going to be following the storm. That will be better than sailing into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Plus there are always a lot of complaints when the cruise line makes a last minute itinerary change...sometimes not until passengers embark. If your scheduled Bermuda cruise ends up being diverted to Canada and you don't know that in advance you may not have packed the proper clothing.

I just want to wholeheartedly thank you for being the one voice of statistical reasoning on this thread. We are sailing with another couple (four adults total) and if they weren't invested in this trip to be with us, we may have cancelled using trip insurance and taken the 25% loss. They are being optimistic about it, we were not. There is so much misinformation and panic posting on this and other sites that one's head can spin about what we are facing.

One minute we feel terrified that we will spend a whole week being bounced around (and for my husband with Parkinson's, that would not be great), but then you find yourself hoping it may all turn out okay.

I like the fact that you have posted some very informative statistics and facts and I am going to hold out hope that NCL will do the right thing.

However, I do have one question. Much has been said that we will make it to Florida ahead of the storm before she comes in contact with the East Coast. But what are the chances we may get "trapped" on the other side and not be able to sail back and be delayed a day or two?

Thanks again.

Returning hours or a day or two late is always a possibility. Weather, mechanical issues. It has happened in the past. If you take meds I suggest taking 10 day supply. For any 7 day trip or vacation we always plan for 10 and pack accordingly

Not sure how true this is, saw it on the NCL FB page.......From NCL FB Group.......Royal and Carnival is giving full refunds towards future cruise. Norwegian wont let us. So I'm pretty sure they have lost my business after this

From an article on Cruise Fever...

"Royal Caribbean changed Grandeur of the Seas sailing from a trip to Bermuda to a cruise with a two day stop in Nassau, Bahamas.* As a result, the cruise line is adding to a 50% refundable onboard credit (of their cruise fare) to passenger’s accounts.* Any amount they do not spend will be credited towards their credit card on file.* In addition, they will also receive a 50% credit towards a future cruise for cruises booked in the next year.

If a guest wishes not to sail on this modified itinerary, they will receive a 100% credit towards a future cruise.* Grandeur of the Seas is scheduled to leave Baltimore on September 8. 2018 for a five day cruise to the Bahamas.

Carnival Cruise Line is also offering guests compensation for a cruise that needed to be altered due to weather concerns.* Carnival Pride was scheduled for a seven night cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore departing on Sunday.* The itinerary has been changed and the new port stops will be*Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport.

As a goodwill gesture, Carnival is giving all passengers on this sailing a 25% future cruise credit for any cruise taking place before March 7, 2020.

Both cruise lines stated that the reason for the change in itineraries was done for the safety of the guests and crew.* All credits will be based on the cruise fare that each passenger paid."

Sent from my LG-H871 using Forums mobile app

From an article on Cruise Fever...

"Royal Caribbean changed Grandeur of the Seas sailing from a trip to Bermuda to a cruise with a two day stop in Nassau, Bahamas.* As a result, the cruise line is adding to a 50% refundable onboard credit (of their cruise fare) to passenger’s accounts.* Any amount they do not spend will be credited towards their credit card on file.* In addition, they will also receive a 50% credit towards a future cruise for cruises booked in the next year.

If a guest wishes not to sail on this modified itinerary, they will receive a 100% credit towards a future cruise.* Grandeur of the Seas is scheduled to leave Baltimore on September 8. 2018 for a five day cruise to the Bahamas.

Carnival Cruise Line is also offering guests compensation for a cruise that needed to be altered due to weather concerns.* Carnival Pride was scheduled for a seven night cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore departing on Sunday.* The itinerary has been changed and the new port stops will be*Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport.

As a goodwill gesture, Carnival is giving all passengers on this sailing a 25% future cruise credit for any cruise taking place before March 7, 2020.

Both cruise lines stated that the reason for the change in itineraries was done for the safety of the guests and crew.* All credits will be based on the cruise fare that each passenger paid."

Sent from my LG-H871 using Forums mobile app

Yea looks pretty bad for NCL to not offer anything when the other two biggest lines are offering at least some compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure how true this is, saw it on the NCL FB page.......From NCL FB Group.......Royal and Carnival is giving full refunds towards future cruise. Norwegian wont let us. So I'm pretty sure they have lost my business after this

NCL's approach hasn't changed. They operate many cruises during the height of the hurricane season and have many reroutes. Passengers all sign a contract that allows the cruise line to reroute to keep the ship, passengers, and crew safe, and should not feel entitled to any compensation. And NCL is not willing to operate at a loss or operate "for free",,, and that's just smart business. We have been rerouted twice (last year going to Halifax instead of Bermuda) and enjoyed every minute of being on a cruise. To answer the specific comment, RCCL offered the passengers on the Grandeur (now overnighting in Nassau vs. Bermuda) a 50% OBC and 50% toward a future cruise - essentially operating the ship at a 100% loss,,, not smart business,,, given that there will be more ships rerouted over the weeks to come.

To answer the specific comment, RCCL offered the passengers on the Grandeur (now overnighting in Nassau vs. Bermuda) a 50% OBC and 50% toward a future cruise - essentially operating the ship at a 100% loss,,, not smart business,,, given that there will be more ships rerouted over the weeks to come.

I am more likely to book RCCL than NCL because of their more customer centric policy. I think RCCL's and Carnival’s polices are smarter for keeping customers. NCL may yet give some compensation, we shall see but if they don’t that will be a strike against them among smart consumers.

I am more likely to book RCCL than NCL because of their more customer centric policy. I think RCCL's and Carnival’s polices are smarter for keeping customers. NCL may yet give some compensation, we shall see but if they don’t that will be a strike against them among smart consumers.

Agreed, we will definitely look elsewhere for our next cruise. NCL doesn't owe us anything, they are fulfilling a contract. However when is comes to customers and customer relations............

Its really interesting about RCCL allowing passengers to cancel their cruise because of the hurricane. I think I know why. This was never even considered in the industry before. This is just my speculation of course. What percent do you think would cancel. I would say 10%-15% maybe more. The cruise lines have been through this before. The cruises turn very nasty and the employees take abuse in the guest services line. The cruise line gets flamed which causes media stories which in turn hurts bookings. I wonder if RCCL is thinking outside the box to sail a cruise with minimal profit but saving profits on future bookings. In addition, if you agree to sail the new itinerary you probably are not ones to complain about missing the original ports.

Clever thinking on RCCL's part if you ask me.

Are RCI and CCL giving full refund or future credit?

The Carnival Pride changed from Bermuda to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport, and is also providing 25% future cruise credit that must be used by March 7, 2020. I am disappointed with not visiting Bermuda for the first time, but am happy with what Carnival is offering.

I think its future credit

Even if they wouldn't give us a refund for cancelling, they would have won us over completely if they had offered a chance to cancel with the stipulation that all monies paid could be used toward a future cruise (rather than refunding us money outright). At least it would have been a good will gesture and kept us from feeling like we are being "forced" into this trip.

We were told by NCL they are not offering anything and can only file a claim with the travel insurance and lose 25%. Granted, it's our "out" if we feel strongly about not going, but a 25% loss is not so great. Our problem came in the fact that we are sailing with another couple and they were all in and did't want to lose the money. So once again, fingers crossed that we get a surprise and either the seas south aren't as bad as anticipated, or we get to the port and they've changed the itinerary to Halifax.

Heck, for safety, we'd be happy if they went straight out to sea for 7 days and kept us in calm waters LOL

Not sure how true this is, saw it on the NCL FB page.......From NCL FB Group.......Royal and Carnival is giving full refunds towards future cruise. Norwegian wont let us. So I'm pretty sure they have lost my business after this.

I am waiting to see what NCL will do if anything regarding additional OBC or credit towards a future cruise. It looks very unlikely that we will be able to visit GSC because of the waves so now we are down to Florida and Nassau. If they fail to provide some meaningful comp in some form then they will make their profit for this cruise and a percentage of people will look elsewhere for future cruises. I spent 40 years in banking and always found giving clients some initiatives brought increased future business or loyalty when other institutions came looking to have them move business to them.

Its really interesting about RCCL allowing passengers to cancel their cruise because of the hurricane. I think I know why. This was never even considered in the industry before. This is just my speculation of course. What percent do you think would cancel. I would say 10%-15% maybe more. The cruise lines have been through this before. The cruises turn very nasty and the employees take abuse in the guest services line. The cruise line gets flamed which causes media stories which in turn hurts bookings. I wonder if RCCL is thinking outside the box to sail a cruise with minimal profit but saving profits on future bookings. In addition, if you agree to sail the new itinerary you probably are not ones to complain about missing the original ports.

Clever thinking on RCCL's part if you ask me.

I think it would be closer to 50%. My wife and I would cancel in a heartbeat. I think you have something with people taking it our on the employees on the ship. That is very wrong is so many ways. We are going, not thrilled but the last thing I want to do is be angry at someone working on the ship who has Nothing to do with it

NCL's public relations team sucks.

This is just like the NCL Sun renovations. They'll dig in their heels, try to satiate people with $25 non-refundable credit, eventually get a ton of bad press, and then grudgingly do what was the obvious decision in the first place.

I think it would be closer to 50%. My wife and I would cancel in a heartbeat. I think you have something with people taking it our on the employees on the ship. That is very wrong is so many ways. We are going, not thrilled but the last thing I want to do is be angry at someone working on the ship who has Nothing to do with it

OMG I will be thrilled to take a cruise that 50% of people cancelled. Can you imagine NO LINES, NO WAITS.

SIGN ME UP

Thanks again.

They just put out the update that it will be a category 4 and not be hitting the coast until next weekend. So that is going to be putting you guys thru some really crummy weather

I would not trust NCL to not sail directly thru it to NY. Been there, done that with them.