ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

Carnival also announced their ship, the Carnival Pride is not docking at Bermuda as schedule. that ship is also sailing south to Bahamas like the Escape

I think the bermuda is shutting down everyone and will prevent any ship from docking next week until the storm passes

Bermuda is not shutting down. The cruise lines are making the call right now. Florence may not even affect Bermuda much. It is the several possible east to west storm tracks, not whether the storm actually hits Bermuda. As the cruise lines have found the last few years, sailing thru very rough seas from the northeast ports has not worked out well. Angry passengers and bad press.

Bermuda is not shutting down. The cruise lines are making the call right now. Florence may not even affect Bermuda much. It is the several possible east to west storm tracks, not whether the storm actually hits Bermuda. As the cruise lines have found the last few years, sailing thru very rough seas from the northeast ports has not worked out well. Angry passengers and bad press.

And yet the newest model they just showed on the news here has the storm impacting North Carolina, Florida and the Bahamas by Tuesday, and then heading north by Thursday. I just hope we don't get trapped and be delayed returning home. The whole scenario is so uncertain right now.

And yet the newest model they just showed on the news here has the storm impacting North Carolina, Florida and the Bahamas by Tuesday, and then heading north by Thursday. I just hope we don't get trapped and be delayed returning home. The whole scenario is so uncertain right now.

We don't start coming back until Friday at 6pm, far south of the storm. Worst case is will go slower and maybe arrive later than expected

THIS !!

Get a grip people. Itinerary changes can happen anytime but booking a cruise during [peak] Hurricane season means there is a better than average chance you're going to be re-routed. The cruise line is not going to cancel, they're not going to issue a refund, & they're not going to apologize for taking their very expensive ship & it's passengers in a direction that they deem safe.

You need to make lemonade out of those lemons!!

Bad weather can happen anytime. We were on a Carnival Cruise a few years ago in the second last week of June. An early hurricane forced us to divert from Grand Turk to Port Canaveral. Sadly, there is nothing to do at Port Canaveral. So we spent the day at Epcot. Spent way more money than we expected, but we had fun.

THIS !!

Get a grip people. Itinerary changes can happen anytime but booking a cruise during [peak] Hurricane season means there is a better than average chance you're going to be re-routed. The cruise line is not going to cancel, they're not going to issue a refund, & they're not going to apologize for taking their very expensive ship & it's passengers in a direction that they deem safe.

You need to make lemonade out of those lemons!!

(Sorry of this is double posted - it disappeared when I went to submit)

The weather can be unpredictable at any time of the year. When we sailed on a Carnival Cruise a few years ago, our ship was diverted from Grand Turk to Cape Canaveral due to an early season hurricane. It was the third week of June! We were diverted to Port Canaveral. There is nothing to do there, so we ended up going to Epcot. Spend way more money on that cruise than I anticipated,but we had fun! You have to make the most of the situation.

I was just on one of the RC boards and Grandeur of the Seas was also changed from Bermuda to Nassau today but they are offering 100% credit for a future cruise if you don’t want to go on the new itinerary or 50% of fare in OBC if you do go.

I am pretty new to cruising only been on one cruise and it was with NCL. Is this common for NCL to be more strict in these matters then the other lines?

Edited by ajp_99

I don't expect much from NCL. About 5 years ago our Celebrity ship left Bayonne one day late and we missed one of the ports. They gave us $200 OBC per person to compensate. During our Bermuda stop we were on the ferry from Hamilton and ran into some people from the NCL ship that was also there. They were pissed when we told them about the OBC credit we got. They were offered a free bottle of wine with their dinner.

I was just on one of the RC boards and Grandeur of the Seas was also changed from Bermuda to Nassau today but they are offering 100% credit for a future cruise if you don’t want to go on the new itinerary or 50% of fare in OBC if you do go.

I am pretty new to cruising only been on one cruise and it was with NCL. Is this common for NCL to be more strict in these matters then the other lines?

I would say that the Royal Caribbean offer is more generous than they usually make. They may have made it because Grandeur is on a five day cruise, it is an older ship. Is Nassau going to be the only port? That cruise is going to be the pits compared to a 7 day cruise on Escape which is a much newer and better outfitted ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that the Royal Caribbean offer is more generous than they usually make. They may have made it because Grandeur is on a five day cruise, it is an older ship. Is Nassau going to be the only port? That cruise is going to be the pits compared to a 7 day cruise on Escape which is a much newer and better outfitted ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points. Yea Nassau is their only port stop on the changed itinerary they are overnighting there.

Far better opportunities for excursions on a northern cruise -- lots more to do and see.

Problem with the PC stop is they aren't getting in until 1 p.m. -- kind of cuts if close to do the KSC, which was our first option and closes at 6 pm. I think we will either do an airboat or Disney Springs. I do wish they'd let us book before we board. I just see 4,000 people standing in line at shore excursions :D

For Nassau my husband really wants to take me to the Pirate Museum. He loved it when he went a few years ago.

I don't hold out a lot of hope that rough seas might not prevent us from tendering into Great Stirrup Cay -- but there's time for things to change. If we do, we're looking at doing the eco tour.

Betcha there are just as many people who don't want to go north as there are who do ;)

I’ve always wanted to try airboating. On land trips to Florida there is always so much packed in with Disney and Universal, that there isn’t a chance to try things like this. Looks like it would be a blast. Also, if you don’t make GSC, they usually overnight in Nassau ( happened on two of my cruises). If this happens to me again, I plan on trying to book a last minute room at Baha Mar for the night to experience the resort. Although the Pirate museum sounds fun too! Glad to hear you are making plans and don’t worry you will still have fun, and will have an adventure to tell the grandkids about!

... Is this common for NCL to be more strict in these matters then the other lines?

Yes. We got a $50 OBC and a small adjustment of port fees when we got rerouted from Bermuda to Nassau and Canaveral. Worse, last year our 12 day east/south caribbean itinerary was scrapped and changed to Canaveral, Bahamas, GSC and 3 western ports. It was announced after final payment. We sent letters before final payment begging for an equivalent itinerary but this was NOT anywhere close to the original. We got nothing and not allowed to cancel.

I hope NCL knows what they are doing. This is the 5:00 pm update on the NOAA site. Does not look good to me for leaving Nassau and getting home

The storm should be well up north by the time you start back and gone by the time you reach NYC. I am quite sure.

Yes. We got a $50 OBC and a small adjustment of port fees when we got rerouted from Bermuda to Nassau and Canaveral. Worse, last year our 12 day east/south caribbean itinerary was scrapped and changed to Canaveral, Bahamas, GSC and 3 western ports. It was announced after final payment. We sent letters before final payment begging for an equivalent itinerary but this was NOT anywhere close to the original. We got nothing and not allowed to cancel.

The storm should be well up north by the time you start back and gone by the time you reach NYC. I am quite sure.

Granted, but if this storm speeds up, we could run into it on the way down. Still four days before we reach that area.

Well, it certainly has been an active pre-cruise week for everyone. Still we really don't know where Florence will go. IMO, not really certain NCL KNOWS WHERE ESCAPE WILL GO.

It has been noted that we've got to beat the system down the coast, then hope she moves up and out of the way before we return. Seems like a lot is STILL UP IN THE AIR.

The seas will not be ideal in the best of circumstances, especially as we must navigate South while the waves and surge ahead of the storm will likely not be met head on (ideal IMO); rather laterally. We prefer head versus the lateral movement. That's just us.

Bermuda schools and businesses are all open Monday (currently) and the models put Florence 500+ miles South of Bermuda at best. It would be in the 'not favorable Northeast quarter of the wind cyclone however, so will be windy and big surf. Not ideal for ESCAPE to be re-rerouted to Bermuda. We just don't know yet.

Bermuda weather reports are also calling for a lot of windy wet weather through the next weekend, so not ideal for excursions either. Again, just reading some of the reports and maps; not an expert by any means.

HOWEVER, after our EXPERIENCE on ANTHEM OF THE SEAS this past January, when the Captain was directed (on our return from the Southern Caribbean and following a 'noreaster) to CROSS THE FRONT as we had a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. It didn't make sense to RISK 5,000 passengers and 2,500 crew in our opinion. The short of it, WE DON'T REALLY TRUST CRUISE LINES 100% in some circumstances.

SO I MADE A DEAL WITH MY WIFE ~

If she is uncomfortable (anxiety) with the latest weather reports Sunday morning, and no change in NCL itinerary, WE WON'T GO. No refund is no problem, it's just not worth it. ALSO, if we do go and make it to Florida and the Bahamas, and FLORENCE isn't clearing fast and it is going to be a rough ride home,

OR IF ANOTHER SYSTEM makes speed behind it, WE'LL GET OFF AND FLY HOME.

Just our thoughts. I know everyone has their own opinions and certainly more expertise than we do in such regards. I find the LACK OF INFORMATION ON ALL OF THE CRUISE LINES WEBSITES quite disappointing.

GLTA

Just watched the Weather Channel update on Florence. SOMETHING NEW we noticed is that there COULD BE a "blocking system" to the North/North East when Florence approaches US South East coast PREVENTING IT FROM QUICKLY MOVING AWAY.

Again, no expert, but IF WE GET DOWN THERE wouldn't we have to STAY DOWN THERE until she cleared? One would think?

attachment.php?attachmentid=428021&stc=1&d=1536407017

attachment.php?attachmentid=428022&stc=1&d=1536407075

attachment.php?attachmentid=428024&stc=1&d=1536407075

Well, it certainly has been an active pre-cruise week for everyone. Still we really don't know where Florence will go. IMO, not really certain NCL KNOWS WHERE ESCAPE WILL GO.

It has been noted that we've got to beat the system down the coast, then hope she moves up and out of the way before we return. Seems like a lot is STILL UP IN THE AIR.

The seas will not be ideal in the best of circumstances, especially as we must navigate South while the waves and surge ahead of the storm will likely not be met head on (ideal IMO); rather laterally. We prefer head versus the lateral movement. That's just us.

Bermuda schools and businesses are all open Monday (currently) and the models put Florence 500+ miles South of Bermuda at best. It would be in the 'not favorable Northeast quarter of the wind cyclone however, so will be windy and big surf. Not ideal for ESCAPE to be re-rerouted to Bermuda. We just don't know yet.

Bermuda weather reports are also calling for a lot of windy wet weather through the next weekend, so not ideal for excursions either. Again, just reading some of the reports and maps; not an expert by any means.

HOWEVER, after our EXPERIENCE on ANTHEM OF THE SEAS this past January, when the Captain was directed (on our return from the Southern Caribbean and following a 'noreaster) to CROSS THE FRONT as we had a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. It didn't make sense to RISK 5,000 passengers and 2,500 crew in our opinion. The short of it, WE DON'T REALLY TRUST CRUISE LINES 100% in some circumstances.

SO I MADE A DEAL WITH MY WIFE ~

If she is uncomfortable (anxiety) with the latest weather reports Sunday morning, and no change in NCL itinerary, WE WON'T GO. No refund is no problem, it's just not worth it. ALSO, if we do go and make it to Florida and the Bahamas, and FLORENCE isn't clearing fast and it is going to be a rough ride home,

OR IF ANOTHER SYSTEM makes speed behind it, WE'LL GET OFF AND FLY HOME.

Just our thoughts. I know everyone has their own opinions and certainly more expertise than we do in such regards. I find the LACK OF INFORMATION ON ALL OF THE CRUISE LINES WEBSITES quite disappointing.

GLTA

I am impressed with your planning. You are looking at things both from a safety standpoint and also an emotional one. (not fun being on a cruise and wondering what is going to happen next).

My wife and I with our 10 and 7 year old are booked on this cruise. Ive been urging my wife to cancel due to the obvious reasons. I feel the seas no matter our port are going to be rough to say the least the whole time. We have the insurance and were told we can reschedule although there would be a 25% penalty. Im fine with that because I do not want my children to be scared in anyway and seeing some videos of cruise ships in storms has made my decision easy. My wife says "storms are unpredictable so it could be nice"

I love her but at times shes stubborn.

If we were alone Id say lets roll the dice but if my children had anything less than a dream vacation it would devestate me.

Any words of advice or encouragement? Thanks all.

C U @ sea????

It would not be fun on a cruise with worry or anxiety about a vacation. Have been on 23 cruises and only a few were a bit rough and believe me, I did not like it. I hope all that decide to go have a safe and memorable trip to Port Canaveral & Bahamas. For those who cancelled or reschedule I hope you were able to book another amazing trip. My heart goes out to all that may be impacted by this hurricane. Our cruise is in 3 weeks. STAY SAFE!

My wife and I with our 10 and 7 year old are booked on this cruise. Ive been urging my wife to cancel due to the obvious reasons. I feel the seas no matter our port are going to be rough to say the least the whole time. We have the insurance and were told we can reschedule although there would be a 25% penalty. Im fine with that because I do not want my children to be scared in anyway and seeing some videos of cruise ships in storms has made my decision easy. My wife says "storms are unpredictable so it could be nice"

If we were alone Id say lets roll the dice but if my children had anything less than a dream vacation it would devestate me.

C U @ sea????

Apprehension is understandable, but if it helps you or your wife, you should look at the NOAA ocean wave models before you make a decision. Because of the storm in NY tomorrow it looks like the first few hours tomorrow may have 15-20ft seas (not related to Florence), but after that it is literally forecast to be 5-10ft for the rest of the week until we return next sat night/sun morning.

Although hurricane paths/direction are very difficult to predict (as we are all seeing), their wind and wave fields are not and being well off the southwest quadrant puts us in the best position possible. As a mariner once put it to me, hurricanes and winter storms are mirror images, for hurricanes, you never know where they are going to go, but the wind and waves they generate are and they move in a consistent direction (fanning 180 degrees forward). Winter storms, on the other hand, have predictable paths but very unpredictable wind and wave fields are the tend to churn the seas in all directions as they move.

I am anticipating perhaps some above normal movement tomorrow night and sat night, but that's it . . . and I know we will feel it the worst as our cabin is as high and as forward as you can go!

C U @ sea????

Well, I'd say you were smarter than us re: the insurance for this time of year. After all of our cruises, we should have known better to not get the insurance. We've been in NY for 3 days and if we'd had the insurance we'd have already bailed and headed back to NH.

Re: your comments, it looks like it just isn't going to be a smooth ride. Also, smooth is subjective as some are great and no problem with it (my wife and I included), but many others are not. Also, your consideration of the negative experience for the kids is, in our opinion, really appropriate (the same as if you were taking elderly relatives; not ideal conditions on the ship just walking around).

Again, no interested in what others might say re: 'we should have known better or 'with the new ships it's not that rough seas planned. Just staying focused on what is ahead.

Although from NH, at this point it would appear safer to re-route to NE and Canada; although the weather will certainly not be cruising ideal.

We would PREFER THE CRUISE LINES CANCEL THE CRUISES LEAVING THE NORTH EAST COAST THIS WEEKEND.

Hope to be wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Several years ago....6 perhaps.....we had a 3 night Carnival to Saint John's in Canada cruise booked for early

Sept. There was a hurricane blocking NY in. You couldn't go north or south or even straight out to sea without going thru it. We canceled....no insurance...no refund (except port charges).

As it turned out, they went to the destination at full speed and the reports back were that it was a bumpy ride. And the ship docked, but just about everyone stayed onboard due to the weather.

Going would have just compounded the problem and ended up costing more (casino) in the end. Also, DH, who isn't a fan of cruising used to get seasick. I may have lost a few dollars, but it was the right decision for us.

Well, I'd say you were smarter than us re: the insurance for this time of year. After all of our cruises, we should have known better to not get the insurance. We've been in NY for 3 days and if we'd had the insurance we'd have already bailed and headed back to NH.

Re: your comments, it looks like it just isn't going to be a smooth ride. Also, smooth is subjective as some are great and no problem with it (my wife and I included), but many others are not. Also, your consideration of the negative experience for the kids is, in our opinion, really appropriate (the same as if you were taking elderly relatives; not ideal conditions on the ship just walking around).

Again, no interested in what others might say re: 'we should have known better or 'with the new ships it's not that rough seas planned. Just staying focused on what is ahead.

Although from NH, at this point it would appear safer to re-route to NE and Canada; although the weather will certainly not be cruising ideal.

We would PREFER THE CRUISE LINES CANCEL THE CRUISES LEAVING THE NORTH EAST COAST THIS WEEKEND.

Hope to be wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

What have you been looking at that shows it will not be a smooth ride? I get that you want the cruise cancelled (you've been saying that for days now), but I have not seen any ocean models that show this will be a rough ride. At patches, sure (but it is like that on any cruise) but not the whole trip. I'll trust the NOAA models that put the wave heights at 5-10ft Mon-Thurs.

Also, some people seem to be forgetting that, at present, Florence is a TS not a hurricane and, although it is expected to regain strength Sun/Monday it will not regain major hurricane strength until Wed at the earliest and by that point we will be long past her. Those are important facts that you don't see on the warning cone maps, but they have a HUGE impact on wave height and expansion.

Also, as of 8 am her forward momentum has slowed further (7mph), so even if she picks up speed now (still not predicted) there is no way she would close the gap and intensify rapidly enough to change the wave forecast. Again, it most certainly could get a little dicy on Sat night on the way back into NY (predicted to be about 20ft as a result of Florence remnants), but I'll take those 2 evenings.

Hell our first cruise to Bermuda in September 2015 there was no hurricanes at all but the seas were still 25-30ft from some low pressure systems jostling around. This is all just a long way of saying NOAA thinks your wrong and I'm going to go with them. If you do end up cruising with us this weekend I really hope you can relax and I hope the weather cooperates and you have a nice vacation.

I do feel for those of you on escape. It’s very unlikely ncl will cancel as long as ports stay open. It is possible dependent on port availability and forecasts that they re route New England, although the current bahamas may have a day or so rough weather but it sounds safe to travel.

It is unlikely they will sail towards bermuda due to swells etc, that will be a bumpy ride on all sea days...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums