A bit tacky?

eastender

On a recent tour of the bridge.

The Captain had a tip jar out on console next to where he was sitting.

It was very tacky but most on the tour felt obligated to put a few dollars in.

You would think they pay him more these days..

Forgot to ask, what ship?

Was this the D+ tour, or the all access?

Haven't seen a captain on the tour in ages

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On the Oasis a week ago, I've certainly seen a tips jar before on the schooner bar piano when the singer's there but it seems to be spreading all over the ship. The pub singer, classical music with different musicians in central park, even in Jazz on 4 lounge there was a tips jar at the front of stage for the musicians/singer. More surprising was when they have that afternoon with activities for kids on boardwalk, there were tip jars there for face painting, balloons etc. I appreciate all the entertainment but on some occasions those tip jars didn't seem appropriate on a cruise ship.

Really, tip plates in your bathrooms are ok but jars are tacky:rolleyes:

I agree, it’s tacky. I generally cruise NCL, and there are no tip jars. (The exception is Howl at the Moon, which works the same as the ones on land).

The musician that I referred to in my previous post was in the Howl at the Moon .He has a 30 piece band in NYC that plays in concerts ,weddings ,corporate affairs ,etc .

On Anthem in July spent some time with the couple who taught ballroom dancing. Was surprised to learn that not only are they not paid, they don't even cruise for free. Just get a discounted rate.

Many guest speakers are on similar deals, discount cruise in exchange for a number of lectures.

On Anthem in July spent some time with the couple who taught ballroom dancing. Was surprised to learn that not only are they not paid, they don't even cruise for free. Just get a discounted rate.

I assume they saw it as a good barter deal and it likely was. Work a few hours a day and get everything else free? It’s a deal a lot of people would take I think.

On a recent tour of the bridge.

The Captain had a tip jar out on console next to where he was sitting.

It was very tacky but most on the tour felt obligated to put a few dollars in.

You would think they pay him more these days..

Really? Now that is tacky.

I would certainly have called him out on it.

We can disagree, that is fine. I was agreeing with a few others before me that found it distasteful and the reason why. It was my opinion, worth no more and no less to any other. I don’t see this as comparable to a wedding with the neighborhood band, it’s a cruise. And while the cruise lines are certainly adding on consistently to the things for which we must pay, the broad idea is that it is all inclusive and tips are paid in one paymen and offered as complete payment (with very few exceptions, like the concierge ). While it’s fine for people to give extra tips for exceptional service, I believe that putting a jar out to suggest it’s necessary is a far different thing .

A serious conversation about incomes on ship would be a long one, but as the daughter of dedicated educators who were paid a great deal less than most people with less education and leagues less than people who throw a ball around for a living, I would say that topic is more complicated that it is sometimes presented here (e.g., the view occasionally put forth that I so often that the workers are comparable to indentured servants who should be pitied). I do not say that to bring on a different conversation, only to say that the accurate answers to questions like the one of salaries are often more complicated than can be explored on an online onboard. :) Have a good one!

Lynn

Well stated and I couldn't agree more.

Who's carrying currency or change to put in a "tip" jar during a cruise? Do you run back to the safe in your cabin to find a few bucks or do you just ignore the ridiculousness of it all?
I always carry a bundle of dollars for the DL/CL waiters every night.

Definitely staying in Nyhaven again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We have stayed at the Admiral hotel a few times which is 200 metres from Nyhavn.

Best to get a room at the back overlooking the water but like most Copenhagen hotels it does not have AC.

We have stayed at the Admiral hotel a few times which is 200 metres from Nyhavn.

Best to get a room at the back overlooking the water but like most Copenhagen hotels it does not have AC.

Years ago I sold Anthon Berg chocolate of Copenhagen in the UK and 3 times Pauline and I with a few colleagues and their wines were guests of Anthon Berg and they gave us first class treatment and took us to all the major sites and then took us out on the oldest Schooner in the World.

If there's a tip jar, I pointedly ignore it. I don't see how a tip is earned for doing the basic work one was hired to do.

I am glad you are bold enough to say that. I also agree with that observation. Maybe i should have placed a tip jar while serving my customers at Publix Deli. lol

It is something i ignore also.

I do tip my waitstaff in the lounge for the free cocktail party though. Even though i really don't feel obligated too. Sometimes i tip bar staff extra. But like you said tip jars i ignore.

On the Oasis a week ago, I've certainly seen a tips jar before on the schooner bar piano when the singer's there but it seems to be spreading all over the ship. The pub singer, classical music with different musicians in central park, even in Jazz on 4 lounge there was a tips jar at the front of stage for the musicians/singer. More surprising was when they have that afternoon with activities for kids on boardwalk, there were tip jars there for face painting, balloons etc. I appreciate all the entertainment but on some occasions those tip jars didn't seem appropriate on a cruise ship.

You're right