A bit tacky?

eastender

When you've dug you're way up from the bottom of the pile to a place where you feel a modicum of success, you realize how fortunate you are. You then take a look back and tend to take care of those who are working hard to achieve their place in this world.

I remember how good I felt about myself the first time someone threw me a quarter showing me a little appreciation, just for doing my job. I'll never forget that man.

If me giving someone a dollar for doing their job with pride and allowing me to enjoy my life,,,, then I'll just have to live with myself somehow.

When you've dug you're way up from the bottom of the pile to a place where you feel a modicum of success, you realize how fortunate you are. You then take a look back and tend to take care of those who are working hard to achieve their place in this world.

I remember how good I felt about myself the first time someone threw me a quarter showing me a little appreciation, just for doing my job. I'll never forget that man.

If me giving someone a dollar for doing their job with pride and allowing me to enjoy my life,,,, then I'll just have to live with myself somehow.

Ditto

I have done a lot of things over the years and I have ended up, not rich, but reasonably comfortable. Some of those things were low paying service industry jobs. I know how hard people work to make sure you have enjoyable time. If I can repay a little of the kindness that I have received I want to do it. I know I don't have to, I want to and it brings me pleasure.

Now if I saw the Capt. with a tip jar as one poster suggested I would steadfastly ignore it LOL

Edited by Tree_skier

I assume they saw it as a good barter deal and it likely was. Work a few hours a day and get everything else free? It’s a deal a lot of people would take I think.

Friends of mine have taught bridge lessons on Holland and cruise free . Lessons and play are usually on sea days.

I'm a tipper (my husband is not lol) but a tip I didn't appreciate giving was a few years ago when I purchased a couple "glow glasses" from a table set up in the Royal Promenade before a parade.;)

It was a table like they usually have with T shirt sales, etc., and had all these twinkling glasses and other "light up" items (necklaces, beads, etc.) on it.

It was the kind of stuff kids would like (and kids were swarming the table), and I thought they would be cute for kids Xmas stockings, so I handed a couple to the guy to ring up and didn't notice until I got back to the room that I was charged an 18% tip!

It just seemed strange to have a tip charged for those - I mean, I could understand if they had some booze in them, but just an empty glass on a sale table?

I especially love when the piano player on Liberty is setting up for his show and pulls out his tip jar with money already in it- as if we needed reminding. The RC dancers / performers don’t have a tip bucket after they perform. Neither should the “contract” performers , I bet the RC employees work MUCH harder for less pay. I chose to ignore the tip jars - And mention this in survey. It’s done until next cruise *♀️

Hoping there is a new piano player in October on Liberty.

So what's next? Tip jar guy in the public restroom, to hand you a paper towel every time I go to take a whiz...?

You must be a young pup.

Back in the day, yes, there were gentlemen in the restroom offering you a towel to dry your hands. Also on the counter were various colognes, lotions, etc to freshen up and clean you up.

Yes, you were expected to show some appreciation.

I don't mind for the piano bar player; to sit and listen and be entertained is still free. If you'd like a little more input in the music selection, it's customary to drop a tip in a glass at the piano. But other tip jars out anywhere on the ship (except pooling behind a bar) is ludicrous and more than a bit tacky. You step on to a ship and are onboard a carefree resort. It's not supposed to mirror "real life". Service on a cruise ship always used to appear effortless to a guest.

I don't have any issue with fly in performers plugging their own cd, dvd, book, and having a table after their show. That's quite a bit different.

Ditto

I have done a lot of things over the years and I have ended up, not rich, but reasonably comfortable. Some of those things were low paying service industry jobs. I know how hard people work to make sure you have enjoyable time. If I can repay a little of the kindness that I have received I want to do it. I know I don't have to, I want to and it brings me pleasure.

Now if I saw the Capt. with a tip jar as one poster suggested I would steadfastly ignore it LOL

My sentiments too.

Another ditto here.