Water depths and docking issues in Miami

I didn't search to see if any else posted, but my cruise isn't for 200 days, I'm guessing everyone sailing an Oasis class out of Miami, at least Eastern itinerary might have got this message.

Dear Guest,

We have an itinerary update to share with you for our April 27, 2019, Symphony of the Seas cruise.

As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we’ve adjusted our departure time from Nassau, Bahamas. We’ll now depart Nassau at 4:00 PM instead of 6:00 PM, to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled.

We are truly sorry for the impact to your vacation, however, we know you’ll have a blast while in the Bahamas. Start your day off by exploring the streets and tunnels of the lost city of Atlantis while viewing stunning marine life exhibits. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, head to Arawak Cay on West Bay Street in Nassau. This popular area is home to a variety of authentic Bahamian restaurants, featuring traditional dishes and ice-cold beverages with a local twist!

We are on the same sailing as Bill and got the same email today as he did. While our email has us leaving at 4 PM instead of 6 PM, it does not say anything about arriving in Nassau any earlier as some of the others here have reported.

I don't claim to know what the problem is, but it certainly seems to me like somebody didn't make sure all their "I's" were dotted and their "T's" were crossed when they planned to bring their fancy new ship, the Symphony, to Miami and sail her from the fancy new terminal they decided to build for her there. :confused:

The issue deals with SY needing to be one of first ships in Miami to do turnaround in main basin by Fisher Island and to not hold up incoming vessels.

So she has to be at Fisher Island early at about 4–5 am to be turned before other ships arrive in the channel? This makes sense, but the reason provided by Royal (water depth) is not true...

Gesendet von iPad mit Forums

I don't think this is a depth problem for Symphony of the Seas. I think it is a Port Miami operations problem. The post Panamax cargo ships are having trouble entering the channel, and need to schedule their arrivals months in advance. My guess is that the earlier arrival is needed to ensure Symphony can enter the channel on time given the other shipping traffic.

It looks like it's only Symphony and not Allure cruises. I'm guessing because Symphony stops in Nassau on day 7 and has less time to get to Miami. Whereas Allure goes to Nassau first and has a sea day on day 7.

The issue is both of these.

I’m following this closely as we are on the April 13th sailing. I booked thru a travel agent so probably won’t have the note forwarded to me anytime soon.

I just checked royals website and it still shows 6pm departure for my date as well as some of the others that are showing up in this thread so no help there...

Probably won’t impact me too much - the rest of our group is going to Atlantis that day and we don’t plan to do much of anything..wonder if it will impact their day or if they will still keep that excursion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have B2B on Symphony for Feb 23 and Mar 2. Got the email about the change for the first cruise but not the second, maybe because of the eastern itinerary for the second. It did say that we would dock in Nassau at 7 am and leave at 4 pm.

I received a notice this morning regarding our 2/16 cruise. We were scheduled to be in Nassau on 2/22 from 10-6. My letter doesn't say we'll be there at 7 like others. Just that we are now leaving at 4.

"As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we’ve adjusted our departure time from Nassau, Bahamas. We’ll now depart Nassau at 4:00 PM instead of 6:00 PM, to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled."

The issue deals with SY needing to be one of first ships in Miami to do turnaround in main basin by Fisher Island and to not hold up incoming vessels.

You say that with some certainty. Anyway, this is the first time I have seen anyone mentioning the Oasis class using the turn around basin. I wasn't sure if that was possible, but if they do, I will definitely be up to see the first arrival in the port of this class ship. I vividly remember my first cruise, which was out of MIA and watching Voyager do the turn around. Two years later seeing Freedom do the same thing was an impressive site.

You say that with some certainty. Anyway, this is the first time I have seen anyone mentioning the Oasis class using the turn around basin. I wasn't sure if that was possible, but if they do, I will definitely be up to see the first arrival in the port of this class ship. I vividly remember my first cruise, which was out of MIA and watching Voyager do the turn around. Two years later seeing Freedom do the same thing was an impressive site.

It is the turning basin between Fisher Island and the docks and not the one downtown.

• 1 month later...

I’m a bit late to the party on this one. I got a similar email a while back for our December 22 Symphony cruise (from our TA).   I didn’t stress about it too much because I figured if you get there at seven we will still have time to make Atlantis worth it.   The email said we will arrive Nassau at 7 but the website and planner says we arrive 10am.   

I am guessing a 10am arrival.   Would you agree?

a lot of bad info in this thread

ALLURE made the first visit to the new terminal this weekend past.  They went straight in at tied up port side to.  Then they proceeded down to the west/downtown turning basin and turned around and came back and tied up starboard side to (a test of both mooring positions)

for the record, I've navigated this area in command MANY times.  The downtown / west turning basin is 100 feet larger (diameter) then the Fisher Island basin. Check the POM map on their website that lists the terminal numbers etc.  The turning basin sizes are noted on it ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

1 hour ago, cindivan said:

I’m a bit late to the party on this one. I got a similar email a while back for our December 22 Symphony cruise (from our TA).   I didn’t stress about it too much because I figured if you get there at seven we will still have time to make Atlantis worth it.   The email said we will arrive Nassau at 7 but the website and planner says we arrive 10am.   

I believe it arrives in Nassau at 7am

But only the email I got a couple months ago says 7am.  The RC website and my cruise planner say 10am.    

Is tomorrow the first day Symphony arrives in Miami?  Maybe we will know more after a few cruises with Nassau as it's last stop?

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

a lot of bad info in this thread

ALLURE made the first visit to the new terminal this weekend past.  They went straight in at tied up port side to.  Then they proceeded down to the west/downtown turning basin and turned around and came back and tied up starboard side to (a test of both mooring positions)

for the record, I've navigated this area in command MANY times.  The downtown / west turning basin is 100 feet larger (diameter) then the Fisher Island basin. Check the POM map on their website that lists the terminal numbers etc.  The turning basin sizes are noted on it ....

I think it has to do with operational issues at the port, regarding other traffic. Allure had to pull aside to let other ships through.

3 hours ago, cindivan said:

No, I think it is 7 and they just haven't updated the planner.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:47 AM, Cel_cruise said:

I’m following this closely as we are on the April 13th sailing. I booked thru a travel agent so probably won’t have the note forwarded to me anytime soon.

I just checked royals website and it still shows 6pm departure for my date as well as some of the others that are showing up in this thread so no help there...

Probably won’t impact me too much - the rest of our group is going to Atlantis that day and we don’t plan to do much of anything..wonder if it will impact their day or if they will still keep that excursion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m on your cruise and I got the email weeks ago and it stated the new times... 7-4.  I’m not happy about it either.  I was trying to save money and purchased tkts for the Atlantis water park ( not thru RC) and it doesn’t even open until 10!  Short time for the $ 😡

Edited by Zendeck

Kiwi and Robo - I would love it if you are right.  Just wondering if anyone has an idea of if and when we will find out for sure.  There are 3 other big ships in port that day and if we get in at 10 Atlantis won't be worth the $$ with the long lines.  But if we get in at 7, we can get there when it opens at 9, camp out, and be ready to go in line when the rides open at 10.

On 10/3/2018 at 7:26 AM, BillOh said:

I remeber those days , amazing sight