Water depths and docking issues in Miami

Hi CC friends:

I just received this email about my March 2019 Symphony cruise:

logo_hero.png

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We have an itinerary update to share with you for our March 9, 2019, Symphony of the Seas cruise.

As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we’ve adjusted the time we will be in Nassau, Bahamas. We’ll now be there at 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM instead of 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled.

In the Bahamas, start your day off by exploring the streets and tunnels of the lost city of Atlantis while viewing stunning marine life exhibits. Once you’ve worked up an appetite with all there is to do there, head to Arawak Cay on West Bay Street in Nassau. This popular area is home to a variety of authentic Bahamian restaurants, featuring traditional dishes and ice-cold beverages with a local twist!

Additionally, any pre-paid shore excursions scheduled for Nassau will be rescheduled for you. Within the next 2 business days, you’ll receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of your updated shore excursion details. You’re also welcomed to book any additional excursion that interest you via our Cruise Planner at http://*******/RCCruisePlanner.

Thank you for understanding and we can’t wait to welcome you onboard for a thrill seeking, adventure packed vacation.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

frame.png

I just thought I'd share, but also wondered if anyone else has heard anything about what the docking issues are? Is the terminal not going to be ready, or is it simply anticipated water levels in March?

I didn't search to see if any else posted, but my cruise isn't for 200 days, I'm guessing everyone sailing an Oasis class out of Miami, at least Eastern itinerary might have got this message.

Dear Guest,

We have an itinerary update to share with you for our April 27, 2019, Symphony of the Seas cruise.

As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we’ve adjusted our departure time from Nassau, Bahamas. We’ll now depart Nassau at 4:00 PM instead of 6:00 PM, to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled.

We are truly sorry for the impact to your vacation, however, we know you’ll have a blast while in the Bahamas. Start your day off by exploring the streets and tunnels of the lost city of Atlantis while viewing stunning marine life exhibits. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, head to Arawak Cay on West Bay Street in Nassau. This popular area is home to a variety of authentic Bahamian restaurants, featuring traditional dishes and ice-cold beverages with a local twist!

This will bear watching when Symphony arrives in Miami in November I think it is. Allure was headed to Miami, but I have lost track if they changed that. Low water levels? I thought global warming was raising sea levels. Maybe changes after the 2017 hurricane season? I wonder what they are seeing with the existing ships that are there. They are allowing more time to get back to Miami, I wonder if they will leave earlier?

Edited by BillOh

This will bear watching when Symphony arrives in Miami in November I think it is. Allure was headed to Miami, but I have lost track if they changed that. Low water levels? I though global warming was raising sea levels. I wonder what they are seeing with the existing ships that are there. They are allowing more time to get back to Miami, I wonder if they will leave earlier?

Allure is still scheduled to move to Miami on November 5th. We're on the November 11th sailing out of Miami. We're doing a Western itinerary and didn't receive an email.

since a weather issue obviously can't be determined this far out

my guess would be something that IS predictable and that would be tides . . .

perchance an unusually low tide is predicted forcing an earlier than normal arrival

Receive this email a little bit ago. I think they might need to do some dredging around the new terminal.

logo_hero.png ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We have an itinerary update to share with you for our November 17, 2018, Symphony of the Seas cruise.

As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we’ve adjusted the time we will be in Nassau, Bahamas. We’ll now be there at 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM instead of 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled.

In the Bahamas, start your day off by exploring the streets and tunnels of the lost city of Atlantis while viewing stunning marine life exhibits. Once you’ve worked up an appetite with all there is to do there, head to Arawak Cay on West Bay Street in Nassau. This popular area is home to a variety of authentic Bahamian restaurants, featuring traditional dishes and ice-cold beverages with a local twist!

Additionally, any pre-paid shore excursions scheduled for Nassau will be rescheduled for you. Within the next 2 business days, you’ll receive an email from our Shore Excursions Department advising of your updated shore excursion details. You’re also welcomed to book any additional excursion that interest you via our Cruise Planner at http://*******/RCCruisePlanner.

Thank you for understanding and we can’t wait to welcome you onboard for a thrill seeking, adventure packed vacation.

Sincerely,

On the Nov. 17 sailing, returning to Miami On Nov. 24 there is a small minus tide at 2:21AM of -0.1 and then you have an incoming tide. The Fischer Island Turning Basin is 48' deep so there should not be an issue there. The USACE says the channel is 36' deep, perhaps the draft of the Symphony maybe technically outside of the limits in the portion of the channel she is going to use. Where I used to work, there had to 5' between the keel and the channel bottom. I really don't know what parameters the POM and Royal are working with, but maybe the height of the tide is just not quite enough and they want to be at the channel entrance with the tide high enough??? My best guess anyway.

I think there cutting it a bit close if they need to worry about the tide to get in or out. I worked sea rescue in the Tampa Bay area and the difference between high and low tide was only 3 or 4 ft. Not like Alaska where it's 30 ft.

I don't think this is a depth problem for Symphony of the Seas. I think it is a Port Miami operations problem. The post Panamax cargo ships are having trouble entering the channel, and need to schedule their arrivals months in advance. My guess is that the earlier arrival is needed to ensure Symphony can enter the channel on time given the other shipping traffic.

Receive this email a little bit ago. I think they might need to do some dredging around the new terminal.

logo_hero.png ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We have an itinerary update to share with you for our November 17, 2018, Symphony of the Seas cruise.

Sincerely,

Looks like my Symphony cruise Nov. 24, 2018 may be next. Haven't received any change info as yet.