Constellation Hesitations

canadianont

We are looking at a Mediterranean cruise in the summer of 2019 and LOVE the itinerary for the Constellation.....but are concerned for the ship itself based on reviews and one cruise we did on it about 10 years ago.

We LOVE the solstice class ships and have been on all of them. We did not like Constellation when we were on it....but it has been refurbed since then so wondering how updated it is now??

Another option is the Edge which we know we'd love....but itinerary is not as good and it's way more expensive.

Any advice is appreciated

Our first experience with Celebrity was on the Connie. We booked an aqua cabin and we've been hooked ever since... and that was about 4 years ago (after the refurbishment, I'm pretty sure). Like you, I read reviews about the condition of the ship but once on board, I was swept up in the charm of the older ship and didn't notice signs of wear. I'm sure they were there, I just didn't notice. I would book again in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

Our first experience with Celebrity was on the Connie. We booked an aqua cabin and we've been hooked ever since... and that was about 4 years ago (after the refurbishment, I'm pretty sure). Like you, I read reviews about the condition of the ship but once on board, I was swept up in the charm of the older ship and didn't notice signs of wear. I'm sure they were there, I just didn't notice. I would book again in a heartbeat.

Thank you....this is super helpful.

Whatever turned you off about the Connie 10 years ago is probably the same 10 years later. A bit of rust? A worn carpet? I look in the mirror and I see a few more grey hairs, a few wrinkles. I could dye and moisturize, and I'd still look my age.

Or was it something more serious? Bad food? Bad service?

I'm just saying that miracles aren't going to happen, and if you didn't like it before it probably has not changed.

We are like Georgia Peaches - unless the food is awful and place is falling apart, I'm not going to notice minor imperfections.

• Like 3

We did a Med cruise on the Constellation a year ago shortly after she came out of dry dock. The itinerary is what sold us on the cruise. Leaving from Venice is a must. The rest of the ports were all great. The ship was nice, it was fine. The crew was beyond great and the food in the MDR and in the Tuscan Grill was all top notch. The only thing we did not like was having to get off the ship after 10 days. The M class ships are older, no doubt about it but I would book the Connie again without any hesitation.

• Like 3

The M class ships are not the S class and never will be; you either love them for what they are (smaller, more friendly, crew committed to make you happy because they are judged against the newer S class) or you dislike them because they are not big and shiney.

We like both the S class and M class but our most memorable cruises have all been on M class ships.

• Like 1

The constellation is older, but it is still a great ship and well maintained. The crew is outstanding and we love the smaller size that allows for more interesting itineraries. We love the S class ships too. We are sailing on Connie the end of this month. We cruised on her over this past summer and summer before. I think it would be hard to be disappointed. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Most of our X cruises have been on the M class ships. We love the Solstice class, but still find the M class ships great.

We have done two cruises on Connie, 2012 and 2014 and found the ship clean, tidy and not worn and rusty. We would do Connie again if the right cruise came around.

Edge looks wonderful, but the price is WAY, WAY too high for us.

• Like 1

We enjoyed our cruise last year on Connie out of Venice. We did not notice any obvious maintenance issues and it is in very good shape for an older gal. But if you are picky and want to find blemishes (on any ship) you will find them. Connie will not be refurbished via the Revolution until spring 2020.

We have just finished our second cruise on the Connie and in the process of booking a third for next year. We love the ship, especially the crew who are fantastic and the food which is delicious. We read some negative reports before we booked but also many, many positive ones which swayed us and turned out to match our experience. It probably depends on personal taste but we enjoy the smaller, more intimate size of this beautiful ship.

We did the Greek Isles Cruise in August on Constellation, Venice return. We LOVE the Constellation, second trip with her. The whole crew were awesome and super friendly. Food was excellent in MDR & OV Cafe. There seemed to be more areas where one could escape to and read quietly and the ship had a more classic feel to it, compared to the larger ships. We found our C2 room that we usually reserve, was brighter, felt more spacious, with more storage areas. A few little wear and tear areas in cabin but no biggy and it didn't affect our trip at all. We love the itinerary and hope we can sail on her again soon. In fact, she's my favourite ship so far. I haven't been on any other M class ships, but we have sailed on all the Celebrity S class ships. You'll love her!

• Like 1

We are looking at a Mediterranean cruise in the summer of 2019 and LOVE the itinerary for the Constellation.....but are concerned for the ship itself based on reviews and one cruise we did on it about 10 years ago.

We LOVE the solstice class ships and have been on all of them. We did not like Constellation when we were on it....but it has been refurbed since then so wondering how updated it is now??

Another option is the Edge which we know we'd love....but itinerary is not as good and it's way more expensive.

Any advice is appreciated

We too were beside the and love the Solstice class ships. But we were pleasantly surprised this last August for an Adriatic cruise on the Constellation. We did not think it looked worn yes it’s different than the Solstice ships but we would not hesitate to go on her again. The itineraries seem to be better, the only thing is to at least book Concierge class as the room is about the same size as veranda rooms on the solstice class ships.

Thanks for the input everyone. We have booked the Constellation July 18, 2019. Still a bit hesitant but your advice swayed us! T

I spent 21 days on the Connie in May (Mediterranean and Adriatic) and loved it. I think you will be happy. The crew is wonderful, and I thought the ship was in good shape. I ate several evening meals in the buffet and thought the food was very good. Have a great cruise.

Carolyn

Thanks for the input everyone. We have booked the Constellation July 18, 2019. Still a bit hesitant but your advice swayed us! T

I REALLY hope you enjoy your cruise because we're on the Connie leaving Venice on the same itinerary on August 5th 2019!

Happy cruising

• 1 month later...

We sailed on Constellation in April for 15 nights from Singapore to Abu Dhabi and had a great time.  As others have said, the crew are excellent and feeling of space from a "smaller" ship, which is something I was concerned about having only been on ships over 130,000 tons before, was amazing.  So much so we've booked ourselves back on for a Med cruise from Barcelona to Venice on 12 May next year 🙂

21 hours ago, paulhulatt said:

We sailed on Constellation in April for 15 nights from Singapore to Abu Dhabi and had a great time.  As others have said, the crew are excellent and feeling of space from a "smaller" ship, which is something I was concerned about having only been on ships over 130,000 tons before, was amazing.  So much so we've booked ourselves back on for a Med cruise from Barcelona to Venice on 12 May next year 🙂

We are doing the Constellation from Abu Dhabi to Singapore in January 2019. How was the sailing? Any rocking days/nights that would cause one to be sea sick? My DH gets sea sick so I just want to make sure he is comfortable.  We will be in concierge class and hoping the balcony will help calm the sea sickness. Any info will help calm my pre-cruise mind. Thanks

I was in the same situation. The perfect itinerary came out for my 50th but it was on Connie.  We adore the S Class ships so I was pretty disappointed but we took a chance and booked it anyway.  LOVED her!  my hesitation was completely unfounded. I would book her again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Just got off Connie a few weeks ago and thought the crew was outstanding and the food in the MDR almost on par with Azamara. I prefer the older, smaller ships with less people and classic decor althoughI have nothing against the S class, except for the size. I find more interesting itineraries on Connie, too, especially in the Med, Adriatic and Middle East..

my room steward on this recent cruise was one of the best I have ever had and the crew was the friendliest yet I have experienced on Celebrity.

• Like 1