Carnival Cruise Line Tests New Food Menu at Alchemy Bar

LauraS

I for one would much prefer that type of food. The majority of the buffet on board is very meh, but they have to cater to all sorts. I am also of the opinion that if you want to eat, go to the restaurant, if you want to watch TV somewhere else. A bar/pub is for drinking and chatting, nothing else. Probably the Brit in me coming out! Don't get me started on 'Sports Bars'.

The idea is that Alchemy offers something different from the other bars. And if you didn't know, they offer what I would call traditional martini snacks from about 5-6 pm (swiss cheese, almonds and olives).

I love getting those snacks. I hope they don't take them away!

Seems to me Carnival is trying to lure ,err excuse me " appeal " to the higher clout individuals to their line. Creating Havana cabins on the newer ships with a more separate inclusive area for the Rich and Famous . Perhaps their just getting tired of the rat race and seeking some of the Royal crowd :halo:. Maybe just getting tired of all the fights in the burger line. ;p

I always love the “Bo” view to bring sunshine into the discussion....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

Considering the limited seating area, I have a hard time seeing this working, or being profitable.

I could envision the possibility incorporating nearby seating as part of the bar, but that would seem to take away from the intimate area that this venue is trying to make part of it's appeal.

The main idea of selling new products is to sell a lot and make more money. This venue just isn't a pub. Maybe a complete redesign, with closed doors (my opinion). Then the concept would be to sell more alcohol rather than food. After all this venue isn't typically where people are waiting for the five minutes so they can order another drink on their cheers package.

It might seem nice, but that's why they do "tests". Somehow I feel they will just stick to nuts.

I would bet the Alchemy bar (where the average drink price is the most expensive on the ship) is one of the more profitable areas of the ship. Adding things to keep the Alchemy Crowd spending their dough there seems totally logical to me.

I agree, except for sushi, I can find a reason to pay for that :')

But, for the most part, the included food keeps me fat and happy :D

...so it works for the food you like, the food you do not care for there is no point in having....did I capture the essence?

...so it works for the food you like, the food you do not care for there is no point in having....did I capture the essence?

Nope, because I didn't say that, I agreed I didn't have a need to pay extra for what is essentially Tapas, in fact in a earlier post I said the following:

I was just about to say something like this, the food menu fits with the vibe of the Alchemy bar.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad it will be an option for those whose it is.

I wouldn’t either. I’d be happy if they’d just let you order little cups of Chex mix, goldfish, pretzels or something similar at all the bars.

On our last cruise we were served plantain chips and seasoned fried pigeon peas in Red Frog Pub - a nice snack while listening to the band. I don't know if other bars have something similar - the rum and tequila bars probably don't with being so close to the buffet and other food offerings.

Hi

Considering the limited seating area, I have a hard time seeing this working, or being profitable.

I could envision the possibility incorporating nearby seating as part of the bar, but that would seem to take away from the intimate area that this venue is trying to make part of it's appeal.

The main idea of selling new products is to sell a lot and make more money. This venue just isn't a pub. Maybe a complete redesign, with closed doors (my opinion). Then the concept would be to sell more alcohol rather than food. After all this venue isn't typically where people are waiting for the five minutes so they can order another drink on their cheers package.

It might seem nice, but that's why they do "tests". Somehow I feel they will just stick to nuts.

The point of these options is not to be a profit center. At $4, they will not be huge profit, no matter how much they sell. Although I'm sure they will not be sold at a loss either.

There is one reason why this is happening. To make people spend more time at Alchemy. It is proven that when a bar offers food, people stay longer, and order more drinks. The goal is to sell more Alchemy drinks. I think this is a smart move that will keep and attract new customers.

The Taste Bar is gone, but I think if it wasn't and these items were being offered there for free, the comments here would be a lot more positive. I don't drink booze, but I'd be willing to try the poke (pronounced poh key) or oysters at Alchemy for the small fee.

We make our own poke at home with ingredients from Vital Seafood. Loved it in Hawaii at a food truck like Loke Poke where we had our 1st taste years ago. Heart healthy too!

I'd be interested in trying these, but I hope that the Alchemists are not the ones getting these ready. In my limited experience at the Alchemy bar, they are usually pretty busy, and it takes time to make great drinks. I want them to be able to concentrate on that and not food prep also.

Cruising yearly since 1980 opened my eyes to all kinds of new adventures.

I actually had my first taste of things like caviar; escargot; sushi; pheasant etc on cruises.

I have always called cruising "adventures in dining".

If you go into a local restaurant and say order an appetizer of "Escargot" and then say I don't like it, their not going to take it off your bill. To this day I always order 2 "Escargot" apps at dinner on my cruises.

As with cruises you can try it and just pass it around the table to someone who might enjoy.

I think this could be a good idea if Carnival can find away to help the poor bartenders. They work hard during peak times when the bar is 3 deep. Adding this extra layer service will just complicate the process.

Interesting idea, I do like the idea of some small snacks, light items, though not crazy about an additional item to pay for. I missed which ships would be trying it out. We have the Pride upcoming in January and then the Horizon in October next year.