Are jackets really required for men?

Mimi34711

Haven't been on a cruise in several years. Things had been getting more casual. Question: are jackets truly required for men on more formal nights? I think my men are kind of over that. I know we can do to alternate venues but it is fun to eat in the dining rooms on these special nights. 6 weeks.  yay

Did this change since May 5/18?

I saw 2 men turned away from the dining room on the Sapphire Princess on the May 5/18 cruise out of Southampton. They were both told they must have a suit jacket on formal night.

Can you direct me to the change in dress code?

Edited by dog

28 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Since this is the Princess venue, I'd guess they're on Princess. Maybe not, though.

Tom

aaahhh haaa haa I'm soooo silly sometimes.   wear a coat    & if ur the only one take it off..  & too it over board    :classic_laugh:

I'm a Tom too.  

P S I love the new icons.

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Hey, senior moments can happen to anybody...even us Tom's!! You probably just did that to see if anybody would catch it. Right?

Tom

I can't get anything  past you...  you the man  🍸 cheers.

1 hour ago, dog said:

I saw 2 men turned away from the dining room on the Sapphire Princess on the May 5/18 cruise out of Southampton. They were both told they must have a suit jacket on formal night.

No, you are correct. No change to dress code. However I don’t think my husband always wears his tux jacket to dinner in the MDR, but I could be forgetful 

91212ECC-84F4-4FDF-AD96-DC0CAEB608F9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

It's not really anything new at all. Jackets haven't been required for many years now, unless you enjoy wearing one.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop. 
In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes 
(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring 
an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse.

3 hours ago, Mimi34711 said:

Haven't been on a cruise in several years. Things had been getting more casual. Question: are jackets truly required for men on more formal nights? I think my men are kind of over that. I know we can do to alternate venues but it is fun to eat in the dining rooms on these special nights. 6 weeks.  yay

Think about this - if everyone dresses casually on formal nights they will no longer be special. What makes them special is that many people make the effort to dress elegantly. If people don't make the effort then the cruise lines will use that as another excuse to cut back on the luxury menu items like lobster, pheasant, beef wellington.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Think about this - if everyone dresses casually on formal nights they will no longer be special. What makes them special is that many people make the effort to dress elegantly. If people don't make the effort then the cruise lines will use that as another excuse to cut back on the luxury menu items like lobster, pheasant, beef wellington.

So conversely, if we all dressed up in tuxes & gowns the food would improve tremendously? :classic_rolleyes: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't worn a sport coat to formal dinner in years and have so far not had a problem.  Quite a number of us on here have been wearing a short sleeve guayabera shirt and dockers on formal night over the last few years without any problem.   I have never worn a tie on any cruise.  

Edited by satxdiver

We are on the Regal right now and my husband, who refuses to even think about wearing a suit jacket, had no problem getting in with a tie and nice shirt.  In fact, the man in front of us in line on the first formal night was wearing a red fleece and jeans and also got in without comment from the staff.  As much as my husband likes to disregard the rules, even he was a little shocked to see that! 

Just so you know, I just got off the Diamond Princess in Japan and full formal jackets are making a huge and massive comeback. People are starting to wear them again and people are starting to enjoy the dressing up aspect of cruising once more. I am not sure what it is like in the tropics or close to America on shorter cruises, but in the Asian market and in Japan in particular the full formal is a very big thing and I think it is so much so that people are feeling uncomfortable not getting dressed up as they are now in the minority and make themselves scarce.

Interesting comment about the Asian market and Japan in particular.  Japanese are certainly more formal than those of us in North America.  I can see the Japanese dressing well for dinner.  

In the NA market the trend is moving toward more informal.  One thing I have noted is the increasing number of men in suits/blazers and sans tie.  I have also noticed that men and women in ATD are less formal than TD but TD appeals more to older cruisers.  My other observation is that the number of men in tux and women in full length gowns is definitely a rare observation on NA cruises.  

In short the world is changing and moving to a more informal workplace.

11 hours ago, Mimi34711 said:

I know we can do to alternate venues but it is fun to eat in the dining rooms on these special nights. 6 weeks.  

So what makes it a "special night?" Just the lobster tail?

Or maybe the fact that most people dress up nicely for it? If that's some of its specialness to you, why not contribute to that instead of enjoying other people's outfits while dressing down yourselves?