Can you bring a Keurig on board?

Cobra427SC

3 minutes ago, Cobra427SC said:

I know that they didn't like regular coffee makers, but how 'bout the Keurigs? thanx. s

I don't know about the Keurigs but when we were on the Sapphire Princess in August the ship equipped our cabin with an electric kettle and a supply of coffee and tea.

19 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

ANYTHING that creates heat is prohibited.

That's not how I read the safety information document: "The use of extension cords with surge protection devices is prohibited in staterooms, as is the use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters as well as irons. Please do not bring this type of equipment with you." - Bold added by me.

You can read the whole document here: https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

1 hour ago, triple7tahoe said:

For what it is worth, we average 4 or 5 cruises a year and take a thermostatically controlled water pot so my wife can have her VIA (Starbucks) each morning on every cruise. It sits out on the desk and we have not had a problem.

That's the only Starbucks coffee we like.  I bring 4 boxes with us on longer cruises and we just order hot water from room service.  Sometimes I keep the carafes and go up to Lido and get the hot water and not have to wait on room service.  I like taking the stairs and some exercise before enjoying our coffee on the balcony.  I also bring D'Vita Cappuccino with us to put in our coffee.

As for the Keruig, I think it would be confiscated from your luggage going through Xray.  Your room steward may or may not say anything about it, but I'm going to say no.

FWIW, we got called down to the naughty room once to open up our locked luggage.  I was snooping into the large bins and saw all kinds of appliances in the bin.  A waffle maker, an electric frying griddle, electric water pot heaters, and irons.  A waffle iron????  Also some very expensive booze in another bin like Maker's Mark, Grey Goose, and a few others I don't recall.

Edited by elliair
add info
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iluvcruzin said:

Why not get a drip cone and take that with you?  It's easy to make a cup of coffee that way.  You won't have to mess with something electric and bulky.  And you can bring your favorite coffee with you.

Agreed!  A drip cone with do the trick, along with your favorite coffee.  So much easier to carry, and you avoid the possibility of having an electric appliance being confiscated. -- EBC

I have brought my single cup keurig several times and now I bring a one cup brewer that brews into a thermal travel mug.  As long as it shuts off immediately and is unplugged, I have never had a problem.  Mine has sat out on the desk on 7 cruises with no comments at all.   Leaving today and bringing it with me; hopefully it still flies.  I absolutely hate having to get dressed and schlep across the ship for coffee  (and I always buy the coffee card; it's not about the money).   When my eyes open I want a cup right then before showering, dressing, etc.  Room service flavored water doesn't cut it and I've had to wait over an hour for a pot.  The black and decker one cup auto off brewers are only about $20; that's what I bring now. 

7 hours ago, iluvcruzin said:

Why not get a drip cone and take that with you?  It's easy to make a cup of coffee that way.  You won't have to mess with something electric and bulky.  And you can bring your favorite coffee with you.

how do you get water hot enough to brew correctly?  No microwave.  water from room service lukewarm?  

8 hours ago, jlp20 said:

ANYTHING that creates heat is prohibited.

hair dryers are ok

curling irons are ok

thermostatically controlled tea kettles are ok. 

auto shut off single serve coffee makers; should be ok.  

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Debatable.

What?  That it looks like a thermostatically controlled kettle is ok,or that boiling water is essential for proper tea?

Edited by kenexx

I'm really surprised that Princess has specified that "non-thermostatic" controlled devices are banned, since the thermostatic and/or time auto-off feature of these devices is the most common failure component.  When I was with NCL, we provided coffee makers in the cabins, and these had to be rotated out of service for inspection and testing on a regular basis.  We had one of our coffee makers go up in flames during testing in the electricians' shop, despite frequent testing.

Thinking that a cabin steward, who rely on the DSC for their wages, would do something to upset on of their cabin occupants, and therefore use of a coffee maker is okay, is false logic.  I used to find all kinds of prohibited items that the stewards were aware of and that they had ignored.

Further, Keurig pods present a problem for cruise ship waste management, as this is a combination of food waste (the grounds) and recyclable plastic.  These are sorted onboard to different waste streams.