OCEAN MEDALLION

JoRoy218

At no time on the last CB sailing (11/25-12/9) did the Princess security guy/gal at the entrance to the gangway ask to see anything beyond the OM device. 

I did notice that they actually looked closely at the device rather than just glancing at it. I asked and learned that they are instructed to veyify the  cruise date printed on each medallion. 

Given that they all look alike, it’s possible someone using an old OM device could slip past them. But the photo verification once stepping into the boat would be the end of that charade. 

On 11/30/2018 at 5:32 AM, Ep010835 said:

I see many of the tinfoil hat crowd on board the ship now. These are the octogenarians who in lieu of going to the pantry for aluminum foil, simply attach their cruise card and holder at the end of the lanyard and leave their “thing” in the cabin safe. However, there will come a point I’m certain where the cruise cards will be phased out completely in favor of the “thing”.

Embrace it now, embrace it later. The choice is yours. 

I can hardly wait for the time to come when people understand that the OM is here to stay and we can get back to more important discussions on CC such as, "Did they change the cheese on the pizzas?"  🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 6:44 AM, floridalover5623 said:

Thankfully the new cruise cards don't have the same problems with being demagnetized like the old ones.

We were on Island Princess 2/28-3/10/19.  My sister had to have two re-issues of her original card, and I had to have one re-issue, because they demagnetized.

The Medallion program sounds pretty good.  I can see a huge advantage in the "Shipmates" function.  I've read a lot on Medallion and see no method for communicating via text as Princess@Sea was supposed to do (but failed miserably).

OK, we got 'ocean ready' last night - woo hoo ... no real problems, no calls to Princess - set up one passport entering the info, the other by taking a picture ... got the GREEN check marks by both our names ... took around an hour, max, no problem linking our booking number - beyond final payment and paid in full

Couldn't find, ok, didn't look too hard as it was late, a couple glasses of wine ...

But where and how do you set up the avatars? - we've got a couple of pics we've already taken we want to add

• Like 1

Greetings!  Anyone know how much are the things like wrist bands and such for the OMs?  We are on Royal's first run with OM in a few weeks but they only note an option of a lanyard although I know there are other ways to carry the devices.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

OK, we got 'ocean ready' last night - woo hoo ... no real problems, no calls to Princess - set up one passport entering the info, the other by taking a picture ... got the GREEN check marks by both our names ... took around an hour, max, no problem linking our booking number - beyond final payment and paid in full

Couldn't find, ok, didn't look too hard as it was late, a couple glasses of wine ...

But where and how do you set up the avatars? - we've got a couple of pics we've already taken we want to add

It is the second picture - the Profile Picture- you add, and the one you see in the upper right hand corner under Menu.

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tmcgin7103 said:

Greetings!  Anyone know how much are the things like wrist bands and such for the OMs?  We are on Royal's first run with OM in a few weeks but they only note an option of a lanyard although I know there are other ways to carry the devices.  Cheers!

You can always resort to using your pocket.

I'm sailing on the Caribbean Princess on 6 April. I've downloaded the Ocean Ready app and created my profile but i've been unable to add my reservation. I've called Princess 6 different times. They don't know why I'm having this problem and so far, have been unable to correct it.

47 minutes ago, toc1085 said:

I'm sailing on the Caribbean Princess on 6 April. I've downloaded the Ocean Ready app and created my profile but i've been unable to add my reservation. I've called Princess 6 different times. They don't know why I'm having this problem and so far, have been unable to correct it.

Is your sign-in information for the Ocean Ready app the same as your sign-in information for the Princess Personalizer? Others have posted they need to be the same in order to link to the reservation.

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

Is your sign-in information for the Ocean Ready app the same as your sign-in information for the Princess Personalizer? Others have posted they need to be the same in order to link to the reservation.

that's what we did last night and had no problems linking our booking

On 11/24/2018 at 11:25 AM, XBGuy said:

So, you are saying that there is a "Go Home" capability on the kiosks and directions are provided without positive identification of the requester and without the requester entering the cabin number.

Thank you for the clarification.  I will yield to your experience.

I agree that his is a breech of security,  I might quibble, a bit, with your previous comment that resolution of this breech is a major software change.  My experience is that removing a capability is not that difficult.  The "elegance" of such a change might be questionable.  However, in a case like this, where Princess might, very possibly, be liable for abetting the commission of a crime, expeditiousness supersedes elegance.

Also, however, I would like to speculate on the mind set of an evil-doer who finds a medallion on a ship.  He has to think to himself, "Hmmm.  That medallion is broadcasting its presence to thousands of sensors on this ship.  If the person who lost it has not reported the loss, then there is nothing suspicious about it's movements, and I'm free to try to profit.  If, however, it's loss is reported at any time that I am carrying it, I might as well be carrying a sign that says 'Crime in Process.'  So, do I feel lucky?"

MissP22, again, I am going to speak from speculation rather than actual knowledge, but I would assume that activity from any medallion that has been reported as lost would be reported, with alarms, to the ship's security department.

I personally, have lost many hotel card keys.  "Lost" may not be a good choice of words.  Without exception I have left my hotel room without pocketing the key card.  If I ever cruise on a medallion-enabled ship, I am not going to be concerned about it falling out of my pocket.

My cavalier attitude, notwithstanding, your last sentence is, of course, prudent.

They should put a pin option on the boards so w\o the pin, there would not be a security breech.

Pamela

8 hours ago, toc1085 said:

You can fill out the all forms and downloaded passport at Ocean.com. Then pick up the medallion at the port.

A single friend who was cruising solo decided to not use her Medallion so she put it in her safe.

She didn't like how her cabin door opened up 4 cabins away from her and she is a very slow walker. She felt it wasn't safe if there are lots of people walking in the hallway and some one sneaks into her cabin for some reason. I plan to do the same because I don't want to be followed like Big Brother is watching me. The book "1984". I have cruised 150 times on 7 different cruise lines and I have never had any problems. I am hoping this is my last cruise in April 13th because I am tired of cruising. I am going because I am already paid up. I am now an old senior who prefers to travel on land only in USA and Canada. 

16 hours ago, toc1085 said:

Nope.the sign in info is the same now and I get the same result.

So sorry you have this issue of not being able to get your ocean medallion to set up.  Have your tried  downloading the app to your spouses phone and set it up on theirs?

Edited by AF-1

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

So sorry you have this issue of not being able to get your ocean medallion to set up.  Have your tried  downloading the app to your spouses phone and set it up on theirs?

I've tried both phones, to no avail.

On 3/16/2019 at 4:31 AM, floridalover5623 said:

True, if they even fix the major flaw of letting anyone who finds your lost Medallion have access to your cabin.

Some day I suppose. 

Unless the medallions have the cabin number printed out on them or available some other way, I'm not worried about this. I doubt somebody would try every door on the ship until they found the one that the medallion opens. I never worried about losing my cruise card either, since I doubt anybody would try every door until they found one that the lost card would open. Do the medallions have the cabin number accessible in any way, such as scanning it at a kiosk?

4 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Unless the medallions have the cabin number printed out on them or available some other way, I'm not worried about this. I doubt somebody would try every door on the ship until they found the one that the medallion opens. I never worried about losing my cruise card either, since I doubt anybody would try every door until they found one that the lost card would open. Do the medallions have the cabin number accessible in any way, such as scanning it at a kiosk?

On Royal now and my OM has my name on it - and the screen by my cabin door has my name on it.

So just walk the corridors until you see my name and bingo my door will unlock.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

As posted earlier, you can take a found Medallion to one of the public access screens and ask it to give you the best route to the cabin associated with the Medallion. The screen does not ask for any sort of password before doing this, so anyone with anyone else's Medallion can find which cabin it is associated with.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:47 AM, JimAOk1945 said:

Is the OM used for going ashore and getting back on the ship the way the card is used?

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January. We used our OM going ashore and getting back on the ship.

Tony

DF58E141-54C5-4D2B-98EE-318982B4762E.jpeg