Drink package-how to get out

cnjoy26

Soooo I know the new policy is if you get a deluxe package, your husband is also automatically charged for one. I’ve heard you can get out of this if you call but someone in our party called and they told her that wasn’t possible.

what do you need to say to get out of it? If you’ve gotten out of it, tell me your stories! Is this even possible? We will pay for one if we have to but I don’t enjoy drinking so I’d rather not pay 350 for something I’m not going to use. 😳😳😳

Far as I know, you cannot get out of buying a package for everyone in the stateroom 21 and over.  However, if you call, they have been allowing others in the stateroom to get the Refreshment package instead of Deluxe.

Yea I agree with the above. If you don’t drink because of a medical condition or a personal preference and you don’t drink at all, you should be able to call and just get the refreshment package. Of course you are asking for an exception to the rules so you might have to call a couple of times to get someone that will do it but if is possible. If you do not drink at all due to a medical or personal preference or issue. Thanks. 

If you really don't drink and they won't let you out (I think there may be limited exceptions, eg medical issues/pregnancy) why not just both get refreshment package and your husband does pay as you go.  FYI I think at the moment they are doing a buy 1 get 1 half price on some sailings for black Friday.  That is probably a great option for you since if you look at it as a refreshment package for you you are not paying a huge premium.

I just purchased one deluxe package and one refreshment package. They asked me just for the record why I didn't want two deluxe packages and I just told them that I had a medical condition which I don't. I drink mostly soft drinks, water and coffee. so the refreshment package at $17 was the way to go. I'll just buy the occasional drink. I will also bring some wine. My son has a room and he and his friend will have the deluxe package so I can bring 4 bottles between the two rooms.

Edited by Iamcruzin

12 hours ago, cnjoy26 said:

Soooo I know the new policy is if you get a deluxe package, your husband is also automatically charged for one. I’ve heard you can get out of this if you call but someone in our party called and they told her that wasn’t possible.

what do you need to say to get out of it? If you’ve gotten out of it, tell me your stories! Is this even possible? We will pay for one if we have to but I don’t enjoy drinking so I’d rather not pay 350 for something I’m not going to use. 😳😳😳

you can purchase the non alcoholic package instead.. specialty coffees, virgin drinks, bottled water,  fresh OJ, etc.  

or to would probably cheaper for him to just pay per drink 

Unlike those who say they have a medical condition when they do not, in our case there is a true medical issue.  (If I sound annoyed, I am....it's like parking in a handicap spot, or bringing a "support" animal onboard.  There are real handicapped people who need those spots, and some truly need their service animal or emotional support dog.  However, breaking a rule only hampers those with true issues..)  When I explained (organ transplant, not allowed to have any alcohol), RCI said we could purchase a refreshment package instead.  We went with that.  Do I think the policy should be different to accommodate those who just choose not to drink?  I sure do, but that is not the case right now.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Has anyone else been able to cancel just one deluxe bev package from cruise planner after purchasing 2?  Because I was able to do just that last Friday.

Let me explain.  Last Thursday, I decided to purchase 1 Deluxe PKG and one Deluxe + Voom PKG.  I could not purchase these myself with cruise planner as we know the restriction about having to buy for 2.  So I phoned in my order and was able to easily purchase with the help of the agent 2 different packages for both of us. Deluxe for DW and Deluxe + Voom for myself. So up until now, all is as usual.  Then on Friday, I noticed a nice deal being offered for 2 device voom S&S PKG.  So I decided that I would cancel my Deluxe + Voom pkg, and repurchase just the regular Deluxe PKG and purchase a 2 Device Voom PKG.  I decided to try this myself in the Cruise Planner.  I went in Order History and was able to cancel just my Deluxe Bev + Voom package.  So at that time only my wife remained with a bev PKG.  Then I purchased another Deluxe bev package without the voom and the planner would only have the green check mark on my name and could only purchase one as it knew that my wife already had one.  Then I added the 2 device voom package.

So long story short, After the bev packages were added to our profiles, I was able to cancel just one and leave only one of us with a package... at least temporarily.   Might be worth a try, and it might work at least for a little while until they notice and fix their site to prevent this.

dp 

If you are ok with the provided included beverages (Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast), and the rate for the deluxe package is $350 pp...think if the one drinker would run up costs over $700.....if not, then you're better off paying a la carte.

If one of you would make use of the refreshment package, then that will satisfy the "everyone must buy a package" rule.  You don't have to do this in advance....you can do it on the ship...and you may find only the drinker needs to purchase the deluxe package.

I have been able to do just this for the last 3 cruises and the next one we have booked. At first I just said I did not drink alcohol ( and I actually do not)  and that was enough for us to have one deluxe and one refreshment. Now I have a medical condition that precludes me from  the use of alcohol. Usually the mention of anything "medical" usually does the trick. For me, it not a trick but real life. They have been very accommodating for all requests. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grest said:

Unlike those who say they have a medical condition when they do not, in our case there is a true medical issue.  (If I sound annoyed, I am....it's like parking in a handicap spot, or bringing a "support" animal onboard.  There are real handicapped people who need those spots, and some truly need their service animal or emotional support dog.  However, breaking a rule only hampers those with true issues..)  When I explained (organ transplant, not allowed to have any alcohol), RCI said we could purchase a refreshment package instead.  We went with that.  Do I think the policy should be different to accommodate those who just choose not to drink?  I sure do, but that is not the case right now.  Good luck.

They shouldn't even be asking why you want one deluxe package and one refreshment package which is how I placed my order. The only reason would be for a medical condition or admitting to being a recovering alcoholic.  So much for being anonymous if you tell them that. You didn't need to explain the detail of your medical condition. If they asked that's a violation of HIPPA. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 11/24/2018 at 11:39 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I just purchased one deluxe package and one refreshment package. They asked me just for the record why I didn't want two deluxe packages and I just told them that I had a medical condition which I don't. I drink mostly soft drinks, water and coffee. so the refreshment package at $17 was the way to go. I'll just buy the occasional drink. I will also bring some wine. My son has a room and he and his friend will have the deluxe package so I can bring 4 bottles between the two rooms.

Yeap, another entitled person who flaunts that rules.  Just like the emotional support poseurs.

Nice of you to admit it on a public forum.

If RCI had a decent IT department, they would catch you buying a drink and retroactively charge you the full on board price for the drink package.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:09 PM, Iamcruzin said:

If they asked that's a violation of HIPPA. 

Incorrect. Royal Caribbean is not a healthcare provider and therefore not subject to HIPAA rules. Also, the rules are on what the provider can share with other parties not on what it could ask. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SRF said:

Yeap, another entitled person who flaunts that rules.  Just like the emotional support poseurs.

Nice of you to admit it on a public forum.

If RCI had a decent IT department, they would catch you buying a drink and retroactively charge you the full on board price for the drink package.

Judge much?  Sorry but every other cruise line that I've sailed on do not require both people in the room to purchase the drink package. Maybe you should be judging the dead beats who were sharing a package that probably pushed RC to enforce that policy. Now that I think about it, technically I do have medical reasons. Hypertension, elevated A1C. General heath issues that come with age. The Dr has never told me not to drink but that's probably because I only drink rarely on occasion but certainly not enough to to spend $50 a day.

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Judge much?  Sorry but every other cruise line that I've sailed on do not require both people in the room to purchase the drink package. Maybe you should be judging the dead beats who were sharing a package that probably pushed RC to enforce that policy. Now that I think about it, technically I do have medical reasons. Hypertension, elevated A1C. General heath issues that come with age. The Dr has never told me not to drink but that's probably because I only drink rarely on occasion but certainly not enough to to spend $50 a day.

Then don’t pay for the package. It’s not that complicated in my personal opinion but to each their own. If you don’t drink enough to make sense to pay for the package, but your spouse or other occupate does and they want the package, then simply get the refreshment package and buy alcoholic drinks a la carte. But trying to cheat the rules of the cruise line isn’t correct and hurts everyone that follows the rules and pays for it. If someone is going to advertise that the are going to violate the system and it’s rules, then others are perfectly suited to judge them for it, especially if they say so online. Personally I would never do anything like that because I follow rules and who knows that the line would do if they found out someone lied to get around the system. Not a cool move in my opinion but if that’s what they want to do then they will do it. 

If you don't like the rules, there are other cruise lines with other rules.

Yes, this happened because of other entitled people flaunting the rules.  But that is how most rules (and regulations and laws) come about.  To stop a particular behavior.

But lying about it, does not make you above the ones that caused this issue.  

If you drink very little, buy your spouse drinks more, you have to balance the cost of two Deluxe packages versus not buying a package and paying for your spouse ala carte.

Oh, and don't be shocked when RCI puts in logic to charge you the on board price for a package if you claim you don't drink, then buy drinks ala carte on your Sea Pass.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:09 PM, Iamcruzin said:

They shouldn't even be asking why you want one deluxe package and one refreshment package which is how I placed my order. The only reason would be for a medical condition or admitting to being a recovering alcoholic.  So much for being anonymous if you tell them that. You didn't need to explain the detail of your medical condition. If they asked that's a violation of HIPPA. 

I assume you mean HIPAA?   There are many reasons why someone might not drink and not all of them are medical related.  Religion may not be covered by HIPAA.  Simple personal preference.  Sometimes I don't drink for a month or two just because.  

On 11/25/2018 at 9:15 AM, dpostman said:

Has anyone else been able to cancel just one deluxe bev package from cruise planner after purchasing 2?  Because I was able to do just that last Friday.

dp 

What's the first rule of Fight Club?  Thanks for posting so that they can close this loophole.  

On 11/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, smplybcause said:

Incorrect. Royal Caribbean is not a healthcare provider and therefore not subject to HIPAA rules. Also, the rules are on what the provider can share with other parties not on what it could ask. 

Exactly.

9 hours ago, SRF said:

If you don't like the rules, there are other cruise lines with other rules.

Yes, this happened because of other entitled people flaunting the rules.  But that is how most rules (and regulations and laws) come about.  To stop a particular behavior.

But lying about it, does not make you above the ones that caused this issue.  

If you drink very little, buy your spouse drinks more, you have to balance the cost of two Deluxe packages versus not buying a package and paying for your spouse ala carte.

Oh, and don't be shocked when RCI puts in logic to charge you the on board price for a package if you claim you don't drink, then buy drinks ala carte on your Sea Pass.

Rules.... you want to talk about rules. The op asked how to get out of buying two drink packages. My post was a direct answer. Any opinion on how I went about it is off topic and against CC rules. Now maybe you should get back on the high horse you road in here on. I know won’t be losing sleep over something that Royal Caribbean should be offering without jumping through hoops.