RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

36 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Just got Royal Up offers for the 12/5 sailing of Oasis.  RCI is raising it's prices on the Royal Ups, so bookings must be looking up. 🙂  We might bid because we could drop our internet plan, plus would downgrade from the UDP to a couple of nights in specialty dining.  But, will have to think about it a while first.

We are currently in a JS, on deck 8, mid-hump.  The range of prices:

1Bdr GS, from $300 pp

2 Bdr GS, from $450 pp

OS, from $600 pp

CLS, from $600 pp

Aquatheater 1 Bdr, from $900 pp

Ultimate Panoramic Ste, from $1200 pp (star)

Aquatheater 2 Bdr, from $1300 pp (star)

Star Loft, from $1700 pp (star)

Grand Panoramic, from $2800 pp (star)

Owners Panoramic, from $5000 pp (star)

Royal Loft, from $5000 pp (star)

Not much to think about as they aren't showing any availability above a JS as of now for that sailing.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Not much to think about as they aren't showing any availability above a JS as of now for that sailing.

Yeah, but they yanked them all at once, one day this week.  I know because I was watching daily.  There was availability in GS, OS, CLS, then they all disappeared on the same day.  The minimums for the Royal Ups are within about $500 of the price they had for each of those categories.   Makes me wonder if they are just offering them thru Royal Up, hoping to maximize the selling price of each with high bids (rather than lowering the prices any further).

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Just got Royal Up offers for the 12/5 sailing of Oasis.  RCI is raising it's prices on the Royal Ups, so bookings must be looking up. 🙂  We might bid because we could drop our internet plan, plus would downgrade from the UDP to a couple of nights in specialty dining.  But, will have to think about it a while first.

1Bdr GS, from $300 pp

2 Bdr GS, from $450 pp

OS, from $600 pp

CLS, from $600 pp

5 hours ago, bajathree said:

5 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Yeah, but they yanked them all at once, one day this week.  I know because I was watching daily.  There was availability in GS, OS, CLS, then they all disappeared on the same day.  The minimums for the Royal Ups are within about $500 of the price they had for each of those categories.   Makes me wonder if they are just offering them thru Royal Up, hoping to maximize the selling price of each with high bids (rather than lowering the prices any further).

Good intel - thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ready2SailAway said:

Good intel - thanks!

It really pays to know what the price already is. I keep those in my Notes app, just for this reason. I won’t bid selling price, or even too close to it, for them to pick my cabin. That said, I will lowball a few suites. 🙂

Edited by barbeyg

16 hours ago, barbeyg said:

1Bdr GS, from $300 pp

2 Bdr GS, from $450 pp

OS, from $600 pp

CLS, from $600 pp

I think the one bedroom GS is a true bargain as is the 2 Bedroom (two bathrooms] GS.  You get access to suite lounge and dining room for all meals.  You get all the true suite perks also.  A no brainer.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I think the one bedroom GS is a true bargain as is the 2 Bedroom (two bathrooms] GS.  You get access to suite lounge and dining room for all meals.  You get all the true suite perks also.  A no brainer.

Yes, those two I'm going to bid on for sure, after thinking about it.  If we win, I can cancel the internet and the UDP.  If not, we still have a location we are happy with and UDP. 

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.  🙂

3 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Yes, those two I'm going to bid on for sure, after thinking about it.  If we win, I can cancel the internet and the UDP.  If not, we still have a location we are happy with and UDP. 

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.  🙂

Actually if we have ability to move up in January, we will consider a star category suite.  We have a Crown loft, which we love, but I could get a refund for the unlimited delux drink package and dining package, so maybe a break even. Would be a nice experience.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, barbeyg said:

I am in a very similar situation to you. Im on Allure 6 night in a hump JS and just got my Royal Up with very similar pricing as you. Pricing on this round of Royal Up doesn't seem very attractive to me. I just won a JS Royal Up last month for an 8 night Odyssey sailing bidding the highest bid which was only $220/pp to go from a balcony to the JS. That one was a no brain'r. This one I don't see the worth....already in a JS and already will have access to dinner in Coastal....also have 5 drinks per day now as well as prime so already have built in drink package. I don't honestly see any value in bothering to bid at those prices. Even at the lowest bid..would cost me like $600 (or a $100/day) to go from a JS to a GS for what?!?!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Actually if we have ability to move up in January, we will consider a star category suite.  We have a Crown loft, which we love, but I could get a refund for the unlimited delux drink package and dining package, so maybe a break even. Would be a nice experience.

I hope you get to bid...and win.  We haven't been able to convince ourselves to try for Star.  Yet.

4 minutes ago, Tigerman4LSU said:

On a whim, I called my travel agent to see how much a straight upgrade would cost compared to a Royal Up bid.  The straight upgrade price was a $100 cheaper than the minimum Royal Up bid.

interesting!  better to upgrade now if you can!

20 hours ago, barbeyg said:

I don't think so.... our Oasis sailing on 10/24/21 still shows suites available and that is only weeks away.  10/10 and 10/17 show even more.  Two months out seems a bit early to remove them from inventory in the hopes that the Royal Up bids will be enough.

Then again, trying to apply logic and consistency to the Royal Up program is probably a fool's errand on my part.

56 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Then again, trying to apply logic and consistency to the Royal Up program is probably a fool's errand on my part.

Yep, I agree.  🤣

I was thinking that our cruise might be a test, since it's close to the holidays.  But, who knows?  🙂  The only thing certain is that Royal Up is all over the place.

54 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Just got my upgrade email! Sailing on Oasis 10/10. Went from a GS to a Crown Loft for 405pp (810 total). I think min bid was 300 or 350pp. 

The current cost difference between a GS to a CLS on my Dec Allure sailing is $508/pp ...so really not that different from what you bid.

1 hour ago, tomservo said:

Just got my upgrade email! Sailing on Oasis 10/10. Went from a GS to a Crown Loft for 405pp (810 total). I think min bid was 300 or 350pp. 

Congrats! Have a great time. 🙂  

And thanks for coming here to let us know. 👍🏼

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bajathree said:

The current cost difference between a GS to a CLS on my Dec Allure sailing is $508/pp ...so really not that different from what you bid.

I think the original booking price difference between the 2 rooms was decently more. I don't remember the exact difference at the time I booked the GS, however if it was only 800 more I probably would have booked it. The other difference is this is out of NYC, and for whatever reason suite prices are crazy expensive on Oasis sailings out of NYC. The same room and the same week in 2022 is nearly 3k more than what I paid.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, compman9 said:

Just got a double Royal Up

Booked an Inside

Got an Up to a Spacious Ocean View

Then got an Up to a Balcony

After a price drop, I have saved ten bucks on the Balcony

🤣🤣🤣

I did this by myself, no bidding required, due to price drop. 

Went from an inside to a balcony GTY and saved an additional $129 in the process!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tomservo said:

I think the original booking price difference between the 2 rooms was decently more. I don't remember the exact difference at the time I booked the GS, however if it was only 800 more I probably would have booked it. The other difference is this is out of NYC, and for whatever reason suite prices are crazy expensive on Oasis sailings out of NYC. The same room and the same week in 2022 is nearly 3k more than what I paid.

Oct 17 sailing on Oasis out of NY.....while there aren't any GS's available the current price difference between a JS and CLS is $1000/pp. Would have to think that the GS would have had to be at least $500/pp over a JS....so again that put the price difference between a GS and CLS around $500/pp

32 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Oct 17 sailing on Oasis out of NY.....while there aren't any GS's available the current price difference between a JS and CLS is $1000/pp. Would have to think that the GS would have had to be at least $500/pp over a JS....so again that put the price difference between a GS and CLS around $500/pp

Yeah maybe that's the difference normally, I'll keep an eye on it. At least I didn't overpay lol

Prices are so much right now, even the JS you mentioned above is several thousand more than I paid for the GS plus the upgrade cost.

22 hours ago, bajathree said:

This one I don't see the worth....already in a JS and already will have access to dinner in Coastal....also have 5 drinks per day now as well as prime so already have built in drink package. I don't honestly see any value in bothering to bid at those prices. Even at the lowest bid..would cost me like $600 (or a $100/day) to go from a JS to a GS for what?!?!

You do get more things from being in Sky Class over Sea Class, but I agree, I have myself wondering if it really is worth it. I've only been in Sea Class on RCI, we usually do the Haven on NCL. I think if I were in your shoes and had higher status I would probably be more inclined to book balconies and JS.

For the record here are the additional benefits to Sky over Sea Class:

Bigger rooms (even GS is about 400sqft vs 300 for JS)

Concierge (which has been useful in booking restaurants and shows in advance, which is very useful right now)

CK for breakfast and lunch (haven't tried before)

CK for dinner without requiring reservations (pre-Covid)

Internet for each Pax

Priority Boarding/Departure (not really happening right now)

Priority Dinner Reservations/Seating area (not sure if this is happening right now either)

Suite Lounge Access (one of the benefits for us since we're not Diamond)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tomservo said:

I just saw on the FB group someone won an upgrade from an OS to an A2, which is a huge jump. I'm happy for them but annoyed for me 😆

They said they bid 10% over min, I'm not sure what their min was but I bid 950pp on a 700 min, so about 30% over min for me. I would like to try Star Class but I'm not willing to pay more than what I would pay in the Haven, so upgrading is my only path.

We love the CLS.  However is it necessary?  Depends upon your budget.  If you can afford it- go for it- a wonderful experience.  

If this will really hit your budget in a negative way- enjoy any cabin on the ship  We have had wonderful times in a CPV cabin on deck nine-which is a great cost effective cabin to travel in on the Oasis ships.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We love the CLS.  However is it necessary?  Depends upon your budget.  If you can afford it- go for it- a wonderful experience.  

If this will really hit your budget in a negative way- enjoy any cabin on the ship  We have had wonderful times in a CPV cabin on deck nine-which is a great cost effective cabin to travel in on the Oasis ships.

Enjoy.

Thanks! For me it’s not about affording it, but I’m still evaluating value for the money for the suite product. If I sail once or twice a year, I’m probably only getting a suite once a year or every other year, so I want to make sure I’m getting my money’s worth for my suite dollars. It’s especially hard to evaluate because the Oasis is such a different ship, and in my mind  I’ll be comparing it to our last cruise in the Haven on the Bliss (that was a fantastic cruise, we had an Aft suite that was incredible). I have the feeling that I will probably end up saving my suite dollars for NCL and stick to balconies and JS for Royal. What we paid for this cruise plus the upgrade is about what we paid in 2020 on the Bliss. I think the other consideration is suites will be less of a priority once I gain meaningful status on either line.