MSC Divina vs Celebrity S-Class Ships

Hlitner

We recently returned from 21 days on MSC's Divina (in the Caribbean) where we had booked a small suite in their so-called "Yacht Club."  For many years we have always taken a Celebrity Caribbean cruise between Thanksgiving (USA) and Christmas.  But for the past 3-4 years we had noticed some major degradations in service/quality on Celebrity....so last year we decided to give MSC a try.  Our intent was to compare MSC's Yacht Club to Celebrity (and Aqua Class) and make a decision whether to book the Silhouette for Dec 2019 or go back on the Divina.  About 2 weeks into our 3 week Divina cruise, DW and I debated the future cruise decision.  The Silhouette has long been one of our favorite X ships and we could have easily booked the 12 day Caribbean cruise in any cabin class.  The Divina offered an 11 day cruise about the same time.  Although we have long been fans of X (we are Elite Plus) our decision was surprisingly easy, we booked the Divina, again in their Yacht Club and even kept the same cabin.  To be honest, it was not even a contest.  Within the Yacht Club (a dedicated section of the ship with its own gorgeous lounge, sun deck, and restaurant (with its own galley and chefs) the food, service and even atmosphere blew away anything we have experienced on Celebrity...especially during the past few years during the era of Celebrity cut-backs.   Once we left the confines of the Yacht Club to experience other facets of the Divina, the service and quality were somewhat below what we experience on Celebrity.  On the other hand, we could easily return to the sanctuary of our Yacht Club area, use our cards to enter the exclusive section of the ship, and immediately feel like we were truly on a private yacht.   And for those that enjoy suite benefits on X we would mention that on MSC, the dedicated restaurant is open for lunch every day.....even when in port.  And the menus in that restaurant are not just slight modifications to the regular MDR, but totally different with everything prepared to order (especially on the slow port days).

It actually caused DW and I some pain not to return to Celebrity.  There are many things about the S-Class ships that continue to make them our favorite vessels.  But those positive aspects cannot overcome all the cut-backs that seem to be the new philosophy at X.  Will we again cruise on Celebrity?  Most definitely.  But,  on the other hand, our next three booked cruises are on Seabourn, Princess and MSC.  5 years ago all those cruises would have been on X.  Just saying.   We hope some at Celebrity read this post, wake up, and restore more of the quality we used to find in the MDR, Aqua Class, etc.

The regular US cruise lines had best be prepared for the competition provided by MSC, not to mention the soon to come Virgin Cruises.  MSC is actually adding about 2 new builds every year for the next decade.  By 2026 they will likely have 29 vessels, nearly all of which are near new.  Besides larger vessels (3000-4000 passengers) they are building 4 smaller luxury vessels that will likely compete with lines such as Seabourn and Silverseas.   MSC will be adding their third Florida based ship (Mergaviglia) next fall.   While the line continues to attract many Europeans (they are familiar with the line and prefer the International flavor) more and more North Americans are discovering this company.  They are still tweaking their Florida-based products to make them more "Americanized" but we really hope they keep much of their Italian identity.  The pastas and risottos offered in Le Muse (the Yacht Club's private restaurant) are simply fantastic.

Hank

• Like 1

Hank, did you do the status match before your sailing?  While that's a nice perk I certainly understand loyal longtime MSC cruisers being annoyed.  We, too, think MSC Yacht Club blows any other lines suite class out of the water.  Certainly in regard to the S Class which does not have a separate pool for suites or any area as nice as the Top Sail Lounge or One Pool Deck.  It is true the "suite" cabins in Yacht Club are smaller than other suite cabins on other lines.  But the service and the value can't be beat.  I'm looking forward to trying Seaside as we've sailed Divina several times.  Glad you enjoyed it!

We sailed recently on The Silhouette, 12 day.  There was something strangely off; MDR food was definitely a disappointment, as well as entertainment and small things like very poor on demand tv.   My sisters, who sailed with us and have not cruised much really enjoyed the NCL Getaway that we did together last year much more than the Silhouette

and I have to say we did too.  Food was better on the Getaway and entertainment blew Celebrity out of the water.

This was the usual older crowd for a longer cruise, but most things seemed to be set to appeal to a much younger, I guess 'hipper' crowd.  Very few kids or even those under 50 on board.

I'm ready to try MSC, for sure.  We too almost always take a Caribbean cruise between Thanksgiving and Christmas--won't be anxious to try Celebrity again unless the price (we got a fantastic price with perks) or itinerary is stellar.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

28 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Hank, did you do the status match before your sailing?  While that's a nice perk I certainly understand loyal longtime MSC cruisers being annoyed.  We, too, think MSC Yacht Club blows any other lines suite class out of the water.  Certainly in regard to the S Class which does not have a separate pool for suites or any area as nice as the Top Sail Lounge or One Pool Deck.  It is true the "suite" cabins in Yacht Club are smaller than other suite cabins on other lines.  But the service and the value can't be beat.  I'm looking forward to trying Seaside as we've sailed Divina several times.  Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, we did the Status Match which got us a Black Card (MSC's highest level) and some decent benefits.  The issue of suite sizes is interesting and we might address it in a long review.  The YC1 Suites (the most common size cabin on the Divina) are not really suites, but rather a cabin we would categorize as a Deluxe Balcony Cabin.  They are just a little over 200 square feet (plus a small balcony) but do have a full size shower/tub and small walk-in closet.  Our cabin was one of the best decorated cabins we have ever had on any ship.  Unlike many lines (even in suites) our mini-bar was free and restocked to our specifications (multiple times a day if necessary).  We also appreciated that our black-out curtains worked perfectly and kept our cabin very dark during the day.  It was also great having a cabin thermostat that truly functioned and allowed us to easily set our cabin temp to anything from freezing to warm.  The one negative was that the cabin flat screen TV was quite small and the selection of channels very limited.  But we seldom spent waking time in our cabin as the Top Sail Lounge was right down the hall (this venue is staffed 21 hours a day).  We are among a group of cruisers who could care less about having a large suite, but really love all the high-end suite perks (lacking on some cruise lines).  

For those who have no clue about the YC let me explain our embarkation.  When we arrived at the port of Miami we had our taxi drop us adjacent to the small white tend used for YC members.  A staffer immediately added another luggage tag to our bags so that it would have priority in being delivered to our suite.  About 5 minutes later one of the YC staff showed up and guided us into the terminal, past the long lines, and directly to a security check-point where we immediately passed through the normal x-ray/metal dectector stuff.  He then led us to a large VIP Lounge (in the cruise terminal) where we relaxed as we sipped mimosas and tried some of the decent bakery cookies.  Embarkation was delayed nearly 2 hours by the US Authorities who were aboard doing a search of the crew quarters with drug dogs.  For those of us in the VIP lounge it was no big deal since we had drinks and snacks and got to meet some of our fellow cruisers.  Once the ship was finally cleared (around 1:30) one of the Yacht Club Butlers led us onto the ship (bypassing lines) and to waiting elevators that whisked us up to the Deck 15 Yacht Club entrance.  Upon entering the Top Sail Lounge ( a huge room with large windows providing a bow view) we met our cabin Butler, some other staff, and had access to the well staffed bar, buffet (21 hours a day), etc.  When we told our Butler that we wanted to go to the restaurant (Le Muse) for lunch (it closed at 2) he led us through the ship to Le Muse..which is located about 800 feet away near the stern.  We were introduced to the Maitre'd, immediately seated, the wine flowed, and lunch was great.  I should mention that the Yacht Club's dedicated restaurant is open for all meals....even on port days.  It is more like an elegant land-based restaurant then a typical cruise venue.  

Hank

Thanks for the review.  We've been thinking about trying another line and this is one to consider.  I did note you usually sail in Aqua Class on Celebrity but choose the YC on MSC.  Have you recently tried a suite on Celebrity and if so, how did service compare?

Is Le Muse a specialty restaurant or the restaurant for YC guests?

Looking forward to a longer review.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

MSC Seaside has YC interior cabins; Divina does not.  All the other YC cabins are described as “suites” but as Hank explained, in size they compare to a regular balcony cabin on an S Class ship.  It is the other cabin differences, along with the YC experience, that makes them “suites.”

1 hour ago, 39august said:

So, can you get "free" drinks at the Top Sail?  How about any included wifi time?

Drinks are free with the exception of a few high end drinks, all over the ship. Wi-Fi is not normally included, but was a perk when we booked our Seaside cruise months ago. I noticed that Wi-Fi is currently being offered for new bookings at least as of yesterday.

After just returning from our Seaside just about 10 days ago, I agree that it is fantastic and the other cruise lines better start watching their backs. 

Edited by sptrout

We did not travel in the Yacht Club, but had a standard balcony stateroom on the MSC Divina.  We absolutely loved our 2014 Southern Caribbean 10-night cruise.  The Divina is a gorgeous ship.  We also enjoyed traveling with so many European folks...was not a problem for us at all.  The "differences" (Americans as minority, food prepared to European tastes, etc.) were fine for us.

I agree that MSC is giving everyone a run with their beefing up the Caribbean offerings. 

We also have enjoyed our 2 Celebrity cruises, and have 2 more booked.  But...would not discount any offerings from MSC.

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers but are seriously considering trying MSC and the Yacht Club.  With the rising prices of everything on Celebrity from specialty restaurants to drink packages and everything in between, I've been thinking about it for a while.  We're sailing Celebrity in 3 weeks for my 50th. I got the move up offer and at the time there were aqua, low level suites (which really have few benefits), and Royal Suites.  We're in a verandah, so I bid on all, and bid pretty good bids.  They weren't low level bids. I bid mid way (one was $2000 per person). I admit, I got excited because it was my birthday and got my hopes up just a little. I really wanted to try the suite life, and hey-it's my birthday. Why not splurge!  I even called captains club and told them I'm celebrating a "big" one and had bid.  Was there any way they could take a look at it.  Pretty much nothing they could do, so it is what it is. I can definitely tell you the captain club member doesn't hold much weight.  I let that whole bidding thing get me excited and now...ehhh. I know-first world problems. I would have just been happy to get offer accepted to Aqua class, but those went to other people, as all rooms disappeared.  I understand with Celebrity, the bottom line comes down to what's best for the company. That's business, but it also has me looking at other lines ,whereas before I only cruised Celebrity. That was also partly for the loyalty program,  which is losing benefits, and that plays into the decision too,  I have a strong feeling after our Jan 18th cruise in 3 weeks on the Reflection, our next cruise won't be with Celebrity. Ok-rant and cry babying over ha! 

For those familiar with MSC Yatch club what rooms would be equivalent to RS or PH on Celebrity S class? We would be traveling as three adult guests. We need two separate rooms, preferably 1 and a half bathrooms and a decent balcony if that comes into play...

I have just had a browse but the suite that came up didn’t have a balcony....Do they have different classes of ship like M ans S class? 

We are very happy with Celebrity but a good look at the competition is never a mistake.

36 minutes ago, chemmo said:

For those familiar with MSC Yatch club what rooms would be equivalent to RS or PH on Celebrity S class? We would be traveling as three adult guests. We need two separate rooms, preferably 1 and a half bathrooms and a decent balcony if that comes into play...

I have just had a browse but the suite that came up didn’t have a balcony....Do they have different classes of ship like M ans S class? 

We are very happy with Celebrity but a good look at the competition is never a mistake.

Good morning..you should really post this question on the MSC threads.  There are a couple of people (Skier 52) that are pro's when it comes to the Yacht Club cabins. 

Hi

We have done a few cruises incl 308 days with X only done Royal suites and Celebrity suite on M class ships but Sky suites on both M & S class. MSC gave us Black card to match our Elite Plus level.

We have booked 3 YC cruises for 2019 on 3 different ships Preziosa 2 weeks Caribbean , Splendida 4 weeks Dubai to Yokohama and 10 days on Meraviglia end of October these are picked to celebrate a birthday --the destination and cruising with friends (in that order) 

Celebrity is for us pricing itself out of our budget when we cruise maybe 8-10 weeks each year.

I will post honest feedback after the Caribbean

Liz

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

For those familiar with MSC Yatch club what rooms would be equivalent to RS or PH on Celebrity S class? 

38 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

Good morning..you should really post this question on the MSC threads.  There are a couple of people (Skier 52) that are pro's when it comes to the Yacht Club cabins. 

We are wondering the same thing.  I looked at their web site and it seems confusing.  Maybe I'm too use to Celebrity in more ways than one.

1 hour ago, champagne123 said:

Thanks, I think I was hoping that someone who had cruised in the PH and RS might have also tried a similar room on MSC....If we become more serious in our search we will go to the MSC threads....It is a line we had not considered but I do value the opinions of the OP, hence my browse and question...