Edge Marketing to Millennials

Stateroom_Sailor

This demographic was not on my cruise.  We had a dog wearing baby clothes in a stroller with a handmade sign saying "service dog".  Plus, we had  residents from the Villages in Florida.  I did not see them in the video....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, keesar said:

This demographic was not on my cruise.  We had a dog wearing baby clothes in a stroller with a handmade sign saying "service dog".  Plus, we had  residents from the Villages in Florida.  I did not see them in the video....

I would question whether this kind of advertising is premature, before the product has proven to actually draw the targeted crowd.  Affluent and socially animated 28 year olds, may be disappointed if they take this ad at face value, finding few onboard in their peer group.  

X probably hopes for a dynamic "Power of Suggestion" maneuver.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1

The ad missed the mark, unless all Millennial are under 5'9 tall.   The shot of the couple sitting in the IV cabin is way off.  Those models are tiny.  There is no way my wife and I would fit in the alcove (as I call it),as the portrayal shows.  I'm 6'3".

But then, this is marketing.

• Like 2

The only market they will be attracting are those that have the money that like to foolishly spend on a overpriced product.   I think most baby boomers are too smart and a little tighter on their hard earned bank account unless they are trying  to not leave any behind.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

I didn't see a single model over maybe 40 in the entire ad.....and there is a lack of focus (to be kind) on multiple races, color and sexuality (hoping to be politically correct here).     To be honest, I'd probably feel very out of place if the entire ship had the passengers shown in the ad ... and I certainly would never wear a bathing suit in public.  The folks that are enticed based on this ad are going to be very surprised when they actually board a celebrity ship.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

The only market they will be attracting are those that have the money that like to foolishly spend on a overpriced product.   I think most baby boomers are too smart and a little tighter on their hard earned bank account unless they are trying  to not leave any behind.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It might be that the marketing team is just trying to get power of suggestion out there for the next few years as 'we' transition to another life cycle and leave them as mere mortals. As they age they will be thinking there has to be a better way to spend money in Las Vegas, Atlantic City or wherever there is almost no chance to not lose as much money as you have in all your bank accounts. In the meanwhile 'we' will continue to fill the ships and support the cruise lines while the beautiful younger people do whatever it is to their liking.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

The ad missed the mark, unless all Millennial are under 5'9 tall.   The shot of the couple sitting in the IV cabin is way off.  Those models are tiny.  There is no way my wife and I would fit in the alcove (as I call it),as the portrayal shows.  I'm 6'3".

But then, this is marketing.

Funny we fit, 6’2” and 5’9”.

• Like 1

Hope we will not be expected to sit wearing  spa robes on those swing seats!

Most wear swim wear in PG rooms

Maybe we will all magically  become younger, thinner and better looking upon boarding, that would be a perk worth paying for,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm booked on the Edge for Dec. 2020, pending cancellation. Good to know that when I board, at age 73yrs., I'll once again have a 30" waistline, no gray hair or facial wrinkles, and do nothing but smile and gracefully walk around the ship showing off my physique!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

I didn't see a single model over maybe 40 in the entire ad.....and there is a lack of focus (to be kind) on multiple races, color and sexuality (hoping to be politically correct here).     To be honest, I'd probably feel very out of place if the entire ship had the passengers shown in the ad ... and I certainly would never wear a bathing suit in public.  The folks that are enticed based on this ad are going to be very surprised when they actually board a celebrity ship.....

You weren't looking very hard if you missed the people of color and what Could be construed as a same sex couple (Tuscan dining room at the table with 2 other couples;last shot on the Magic Carpet). The point of advertising is to project a certain viewpoint of your product. I thought it was a tastefully done and projects the image and target market they are going for. I most certainly did see exactly those types of passengers on my Dec. 16th sailing. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

I'm booked on the Edge for Dec. 2020, pending cancellation. Good to know that when I board, at age 73yrs., I'll once again have a 30" waistline, no gray hair or facial wrinkles, and do nothing but smile and gracefully walk around the ship showing off my physique!

It's all smoke and mirrors, Pro. All of the people in the video are at least 70 years of age and most of them are wrinkled and overweight. This is, of course, an attribute of the Revolution. Not previously revealed.

By the way, no elders were hurt in the production of the video. All canes, walkers, and scooters were stored closely in case of emergency.

😎

• Haha 2

I'm 43 and my wife 39 ........ We both laughed at the above video. They sure are trying hard to target younger cruisers. Like said, let's see how many 20-30 somethings drop $5K to $7K for only a week on the edge ..... I'll bet very few even if they aren't experienced cruisers. Celebrity is dreaming this scenario with those prices and in the meantime Celebrity is having their loyal demographic of cruisers walk the plank (or roll) right off the Edge. This idea is a double bust ....... 

• Like 1

No different from any other ad, and any cruise ad i’ve seen. So no sure what the issue is. Young, well dressed, and when a bit of gray does show: very fit, trim and look like someone whose 40 with premature gray hair. 

I keep looking for the 5’6’’ balding guy whose a bit ‘round’ and more than a few wrinkles.....but expect for my wife, who wants to cruise with that geezer!?!? 

Even ads for geezer meds, reverse mortgages (give me a break!), scooters,etc all of them look fit and the only indication of being older is a gray wig on a model and a guy who just played 6 sets on the tennis court, and not out of breathe. 

Personally I hope they are successful bringing on a younger crowd. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

Just now, Wiltonian said:

Even traditional cruise video adverts show cruises in which stunningly attractive women smile lovingly at impeccably handsome men. Yet to go on one of those.

I hope no one goes on a cruise to see attractive women smiling at handsome men.  This type of advertisement is meant to indicates that you can have a romantic experience with your partner, and it does not require the whole ship to participate.  For instance:

9 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

No different from any other ad, and any cruise ad i’ve seen. So no sure what the issue is. Young, well dressed, and when a bit of gray does show: very fit, trim and look like someone whose 40 with premature gray hair. 

I keep looking for the 5’6’’ balding guy whose a bit ‘round’ and more than a few wrinkles.....but expect for my wife, who wants to cruise with that geezer!?!? 

Even ads for geezer meds, reverse mortgages (give me a break!), scooters,etc all of them look fit and the only indication of being older is a gray wig on a model and a guy who just played 6 sets on the tennis court, and not out of breathe. 

9 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Personally I hope they are successful bringing on a younger crowd. 

Den

X retro advertising has average looking older men, linked below.  

As far as being successful bringing on the younger crowd, I hope it works too, they're too far in.  It's likely going to be seen as a successful risk of marketing genius, worthy of admiration, or a train wreck.  Either way X is marking their spot in history.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

2 hours ago, Wiltonian said:

Even traditional cruise video adverts show cruises in which stunningly attractive women smile lovingly at impeccably handsome men. Yet to go on one of those.

That's me and my dh....stunningly attractive and impeccably handsome....all in our heads but it works!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2019 at 9:17 PM, keesar said:

This made me laugh......   the truth is funny sometimes...