Does Daily Medicine Need To Be In Prescription Bottles?

12 minutes ago, Great 2 B at Sea said:

Can you take your medicines on board in weekly pill organizers (for a B2B2B), or does it have to be in prescription bottles? It would be so much easier in an organizer. 

The cruise line does not care.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

The cruise line does not care.

Now I am wondering...would TSA care?  Would they question any pills not within their original containers?  Would hate to pack all those bottles though in a carryon and don't want to check them in the luggage.

I just flew with exactly that last week and boarded the Serenade. All my pills just in an organizer for 12 days. I took pictures of the scripts in the bottle on my phone in case anyone asked, but no one even gave it a second glance. 

We have always used weekly organizers for our meds... 67 cruises and not a problem with any cruise line, ship, port, TSA, airline or any other mode of transportation..

I have taken an iphone photo of all my prescription bottles if anyone every asks..

Dennis & Sue

15 minutes ago, kag19 said:

Now I am wondering...would TSA care?  Would they question any pills not within their original containers?  Would hate to pack all those bottles though in a carryon and don't want to check them in the luggage.

Better to ask that on the Cruise Air forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

2 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I just flew with exactly that last week and boarded the Serenade. All my pills just in an organizer for 12 days. I took pictures of the scripts in the bottle on my phone in case anyone asked, but no one even gave it a second glance. 

1 minute ago, SC_Floaters said:

We have always used weekly organizers for our meds... 67 cruises and not a problem with any cruise line, ship, port, TSA, airline or any other mode of transportation..

I have taken an iphone photo of all my prescription bottles if anyone every asks..

Dennis & Sue

Thank you both!!  Taking pictures of the bottles is an excellent idea.  I will have to do that on our upcoming trip.  It would be good too if you ever need of list of all your medications in case of an emergency.

1 minute ago, kag19 said:

Thank you both!!  Taking pictures of the bottles is an excellent idea.  I will have to do that on our upcoming trip.  It would be good too if you ever need of list of all your medications in case of an emergency.

Actually I have a Note with all my scripts, Names, Dosage, etc...

• Like 1

TSA doesn't care, because the pills aren't a threat to the airplane's security.

The only thing I'd do is if there are any controlled substances in your meds (narcotics, etc.), take the actual bottle for those pills only.  

Other than that, I have always traveled with the pill organizer along with several additional days in case of a delay of some sort.  Nobody bats an eye.

Cruise lines probably won’t care. But if you’re flying to Europe it is probably necessary for going through customs. If you’re going to different countries you might want to check the scripts for being legal in each country. 

A few years ago I met a doctor onboard a Celebrity ship and he had his wife onboard with prescription marijuana. They were both elderly and he said he had documents to cover any problems onboard. He also mentioned it never came off the ship. Wife needed it for chronic pain.

Used an organizer for 20  years with never a question or a problem by TSA or a SHIP.

If however I needed to bring any prescription medications with me when I got off in foreign ports I would most probably keep them in the prescription bottles.  

I use the organizer below. Because I only take pills twice a day, it holds two weeks worth. I keep my list in that side pocket. I also have the Walgreens app on my phone so I can pull up any prescription anytime. I do, however, keep any controlled medications in their original bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCZKFWK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All  of the above are terrific suggestions.  Please take special note of the post regarding extra meds.  One cruise last year was extended 3 days.  I am  on serious meds and always carry an extra week.  Folks on board were using the  cruise community message board ( the one that used to be at guest services)   to try to get or trade  meds with other passengers.  Not sure if the health facility was dispensing  any  in special cases.  Folks were splitting meds in half and getting some  meds during an extra stop in Mexico.  Captain even announced to get meds in Mexico as he was unsure of the condition of Florida areas and drug stores when we were to return.

I take a few controlled  meds on a rare  occasion and have those simply in my general travel meds ( mostly OTC)  case and have never been questioned.  It is 3 pills of each one in a small med  envelope  and  is co mingled with lots of OTC meds.  I have it marked so I know the pill and dose. I am not trying to hide it, it is co-mingled because it is not a daily thing, I want to   have it in case I need it.   I guess the small quantity never raised any flags. We traveled by air  to the Middle East  and had no issues with the  general travel meds bag and the daily pill organizer.

I have a photo of all my Rx in case there is an emergency and I ( or partner) have to report what I am taking. 

OP - the pill organizer works great, especially since the days on a cruise seem to blend together  and you never know what day it is!  I take one pill every other day, and could never keep it straight if not for the daily am/pm organizer.

enjoy the trip and stay healthy.

M

About 30 years traveling internationally.  Last 18, 40% of the year, on the road for work.

6 continents, 145 countries.

I always carry my meds in a pill organizer.  NEVER had any issues or even any questions.

Now, I do not take any serious controlled items (Ambien is as far as I carry).  If I were taking something like that, I WOULD carry them in the original bottle and have a letter from my doctor.  And only carry enough for my trip and a reasonable contingency (maybe a week max).