What has happened to Cruise Critic?

AFuncruiser

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

The same thing happens with CC on Tapatalk. Every other forum for which I use Tapatalk works normally. CC is just "special." 🤯

(Sorry about that, folks. It would really be helpful if the “Submit”. Button became disabled once postback occurred.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

26 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So are you saying they implemented the newCC website with a Tapatalk option?

Yes. You can use Tapatalk with CC. It does log you out all the time though. 

Even more special is that Tapatalk only shows you the first 10 or so threads in a subscribed forum. It's like there's a room full of people sitting around saying, "How can we make the user experience worse?"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

For the last couple days I have to log in every time I want to post or read roll calls.  I never had to before, and we used to have an option to "stay logged in".  I can't find that now that I need it.  :classic_dry:

Me too--hate that.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Warning -- what follows is a bit of a rant.

What I see and hear is a lot of complaining about a free site that had not had a major technical update in years. I imagine that what the powers at CC did was probably highly necessary and overdue in order to ensure continued functioning and technical support.  Personally I don't find the look and feel of the site is very different. I have had to make small changes in how I navigate around the site, but I have just about adapted to those and now do most of them without thinking.  Old tricks and shortcuts are replaced by new ones; that's what the world online is like in 2019. I've been here since 2005 and I'm not planning on going elsewhere -- realistically, where else is there with this depth of info on cruising?  

I never used Tapatalk so I have no horse in that race, but for the average user who interfaces this site via computer, it really hasn't seemed like a big deal, other than the periodic outages while things are being fixed/tweaked. And I'm sure that there will be additional fixes and tweaks that will make things better that seem 'broken' now.  

I don't use Tapatalk and only post on my laptop.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

All the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth must also drive some potential new users away with a feeling that we are all just a bunch of insular grouches unwilling or unable to accept change (and new members) easily. 

Maybe I'm just unique, but what matters to me is not really how easily or not one can change a signature, mark items as read, "like" a post and/or follow it, skip forums, or post photos. What matters to me is the information shared and discussions that take place in THIS space, e.g., this little box in which we type our posts and publish them for others to read.

Yippee  !  🙂  and Congratulations.  Happy for You

Plese understand we do not  all feel the same about th changes. 

I agree about the 'free 'part' but that is just about all.

I am    tired of struggling  here and not sure it is worth it anymore.   Reading comments, made by others, I have the notion  I am not th e only one.

After many years here and a great number of posts. ,,,,          

image.png.303398b7dbd5a6ad484d225efbca93c6.png

sail. noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

Being  a traditional HAL small ship cruiser,  there are too many new larger ships now discussed that simply don't interest me plus a lot of threads pushing other cruise lines. What's with that?  It was the travel experience that made cruising so compelling for me; not discussions about the latest onboard tweaks and twists. 

So CC has become less interesting to me too, along with the annoyances of trying to stay logged in along the total weirdness of the Roll Call feature. Cruising now belongs to a new generation of both ships and passengers, long may they sail. HAL R and S class ships, you till have my heart, while we both fade off into the sunset on a few more final voyages. 

• Like 2

While much truth has been posted about the shortcomings of CC, I love the fact that if I post any cruise related question, I more often than not receive helpful responses. And God Bless CC for helping me find some wonderful pre-cruise hotels! And connecting me in Roll Calls with many who have become friends. 

• Like 3

Like others in this forum, my enthusiasm for CC in general has waned recently.  I wouldn't say that I personally dislike the new CC format, yet I frequently visit other online forums that I find much more attractive. 

Yes, there are irritants, but irritants are true for all online forums.  I do check back every once and a while to see if there is a thread that will peak my interest.  Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

As for the low Roll Call participation, I think it may be due to lower number of people visiting CC overall.  

Edited by cbr663

Here is what happened to the Roll Call for our next big cruise - which has a lot of members and got started before CC changed its fomatting - at least as if works for me on MacSafari.. I had to create two book marks - one for the older format and then one for the newer format - because they both  take me to two very different CC Roll Call formats - and neither is satisfactory on its own..  

There is no longer the feature to "read the newest post" on the old format bookmark. This means I have to go to the "last page" and then scroll through until I see a new post that I have not read - a total nuisance. Several clicks where one  worked in the past. 

And the new format on the second bookmark  takes me to the newest posts, but only lets you read the latest post but you can't respond to it. No reply feature. So if you want to reply, you have to go to the second book mark, hit the last page and then find the latest message in order to respond to it.  Cumbersome, and annoying. 

If others are running into the same problems, I can see why no one is starting or participating in Roll Calls.  I have not spent the time to see if I can work around these two major drawbacks. So I spend less time on it - maybe someone can help me find an easier solution -that does not require opening a new browser besides Safari.

Edited by OlsSalt

10 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

There is no longer the feature to "read the newest post" on the old format bookmark. This means I have to go to the "last page" and then scroll through until I see a new post that I have not read - a total nuisance. Several clicks where one  worked in the past. 

Don't know if this will work on other browsers, but it works with Edge in Windows 10. This is what I do to go to the first unread post on my 2/13 Koningsdam roll call:

In addition to bookmarking my specific roll call, I bookmarked the Koningsdam Roll Call forum.  If there is a recent post, the thread will be on the first page. I can then click on the star for first unread post.

When I want to post something, I can either use the forum bookmark and proceed as above or use the bookmark for my specific roll call and go to the last page.

I have done this since the roll call was created back in May, so I know the new CC didn't change this part. I too was irritated by not seeing if there were new posts when I used the specific bookmark, so I created the one for the Koningsdam Roll Calls forum.

Hopes this helps.

21 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Like others in this forum, my enthusiasm for CC in general has waned recently.  I wouldn't say that I personally dislike the new CC format, yet I frequently visit other online forums that I find much more attractive. 

Yes, there are irritants, but irritants are true for all online forums.  I do check back every once and a while to see if there is a thread that will peak my interest.  Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

As for the low Roll Call participation, I think it may be due to lower number of people visiting CC overall.  

Possibly due to competition from Face📚

Is it that CC has changed or is it that HAL's cruisers are no longer coming on to CC? I am not new to CC, but I am new to the HAL boards. I still visit the NCL boards and I see a lot more participation in that area. I sure hope CC stays and that members keep coming on here and posting their experiences and knowledge because I know I have appreciated all the wonderful tips and ideas that I have received over the years. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2019 at 3:28 AM, mcrcruiser said:

We think that if CC does not get their act together they may loose many former posters  to FB  & other venues on the net 

I am 'pretty much gone  from  here now  but not to facebook  I  never much enjoyed it  there but  for  lots of years, I  really enjoyed CC.

I have stopped trying to figure out why  those who run/own CC   wrecked what used  to be a great   site.   Why could  they not leave a good thing alone?

What could anyone think is better here now  with this new format?

Denise, You certainly are among those I miss here.image.png.33c74cf9c3cede4ebb3b32bbcd3df1e5.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 1

Just an observation: When all the problems with the change over occurred, I became frustrated with the log in/log out flipping of the screen.

I started just logging out, and staying logged out unless I wished to post.

As a result, CC no longer has "cookie" information on which forums I am reviewing and my number of annoying spam email ads from various cruise lines have dropped. I also do not get the CC pages loaded with ads.

6 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I am 'pretty much gone  from  here now  but not to facebook  I  never much enjoyed it  there but  for  lots of years, I  really enjoyed CC.

I have stopped trying to figure out why  those who run/own CC   wrecked what used  to be a great   site.   Why could  they not leave a good thing alone?

What could anyone think is better here now  with this new format?

Denise, You certainly are among those I miss here.image.png.33c74cf9c3cede4ebb3b32bbcd3df1e5.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Oh Sails I so often think of you daily and miss you terribly! I’m on The Eurodam

doing Hawaii/Tahit and all I’ve complained abut is the awful WiFi!!!! Just got on and saw you just posted and went to last page to read from you!

Please come back. I value so much your expertise and look up to sooo many on CC. Kazu (Jacqui) she will be leaving on her last Swan Song Prinesdam for her 24 day Med cruise and will be doing a blog! KK is still here and our Ruth C!!

I think CC the old format was great and still do!! Now People are having problems with getting into roll call etc! Go figure!

I so want you coming back or at least browse on occasion and give us your view points! love them.

What Cruises are you planning in the future with your friends?

Take care Sails😊

Denise😊

I wish that there was a way to quantify how much traffic has changed on CC.

i would like to add that I started a roll call many month’s ago for my upcoming June cruise, and not one person has replied. This lack of response may have been unthinkable a year or so ago.

I also miss the old format. Why fix something that wasn’t broke.

I seem to be missing something.i love cc and we have a very busy rollcall for our up coming cruise.i enjoy all the feedback,except for the few negative people,but you will have those...thank you all who submit information and suggestions 

10 minutes ago, harryw said:

I wish that there was a way to quantify how much traffic has changed on CC.

i would like to add that I started a roll call many month’s ago for my upcoming June cruise, and not one person has replied. This lack of response may have been unthinkable a year or so ago.

I also miss the old format. Why fix something that wasn’t broke.

There is one started for the 21-day of which your 7-day is a part, I believe

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2528441-june-30-2019-july-21-2019-21-day-viking-sagas-amp-midnight-sun/

Isn't CC owned by TripAdvisor (or vice versa)? 

TripAdvisor has completely changed their format which used to be so easy to use.  They have monetized it.  When you look for things to do, you get ads for tours. It is now almost impossible to see "Traveler Ranked" things to do.

When you look for hotel recommendations, the first thing that comes up is "Recommended" or "Best Value" hotels.  It is necessary to use a drop-down box to request "Traveler Ranked".

I now use TripAdvisor much less than I used to.

I wonder what CC will do to monetize the CC Community Forums?

• Like 5

On 2/5/2019 at 11:26 PM, cbr663 said:

I think it because of this new format.  It is awful  IMO,  I would so welcome if someone would comment how it is an improvement over the CC format that drew and kept so  many 'users' for years.    Now many either left or visit less often.

• Like 2