Formal Night and Jeans on Valor?

fadeintoblue

We’re starting to figure out our packing for a departure next Saturday and I’m considering not packing a suit of any kind and going jeans and sport coat for Chef’s Table, 2 nights in the Steakhouse and formal night. I have been on other lines and cruises and wouldn’t consider this if not for the following.

• It’s a cruise from Galveston
  • It’s only 5 nights
  • It’s Carnival

Any feedback is much appreciated. 

• Like 1

You never need a suit or coat or tie. Slacks and a button down shirt are really all you need.

We don't pack jeans only because they are stiff and harder to pack than slacks.

No one will stop you from entering the MDR while wearing them.

DH would probably wear black jeans and not blue jeans if he wore any but no one will stop you if that's what you choose to wear!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

just because Carnival does not enforce rules, however there are rules and you should be respectful. 

Tell that to the hundreds of people who openly disregard Carnival’s rules on every cruise I have been on. I agree with your point about being respectful , but the reality is far different. 

I always dress appropriately for the venue, even at home. I wouldn't go to a fine dining in shorts and T at home or on a cruise. So for Steakhouse and Elegant I wear slacks and a button down shirt. I have not cruised with a jacket or tie in years. I have turned in a guest wearing a tank top and shorts on elegant night. I kind if forced the issue with the maitre'd and he admitted it was not appropriate and asked the slob to change. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, coevan said:

I always dress appropriately for the venue, even at home. I wouldn't go to a fine dining in shorts and T at home or on a cruise. So for Steakhouse and Elegant I wear slacks and a button down shirt. I have not cruised with a jacket or tie in years. I have turned in a guest wearing a tank top and shorts on elegant night. I kind if forced the issue with the maitre'd and he admitted it was not appropriate and asked the slob to change. 

I whole heatedly agree with you about dressing appropriately but I am constantly baffled by the assertion that the MDR is fine dining.

With the dancing waiters, the mediocre food and the declining service; to me it is not much better than a glorified Chuck-E-Cheese

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecarbine said:

I whole heatedly agree with you about dressing appropriately but I am constantly baffled by the assertion that the MDR is fine dining.

With the dancing waiters, the mediocre food and the declining service; to me it is not much better than a glorified Chuck-E-Cheese

Have you eaten at a Chuck-E-Cheese lately? 😁.  I have and I place the MDR a little higher quality. But I also still enjoy packing a suit, so I'm in the minority. 

But as for the original question, I would go one step above jeans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fadeintoblue said:

We’re starting to figure out our packing for a departure next Saturday and I’m considering not packing a suit of any kind and going jeans and sport coat for Chef’s Table, 2 nights in the Steakhouse and formal night. I have been on other lines and cruises and wouldn’t consider this if not for the following.

• It’s only 5 nights
  • It’s Carnival

You will be absolutely fine with what you are planning to wear and be way better dressed than many others.

Enjoy your cruise!  :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fadeintoblue said:

• It’s only 5 nights
  • It’s Carnival

you will be fine. As for your statement about not trying it on other cruise lines I wonder why? On Royal I have seen shorts tees and flip flops on formal nights and nobody says a word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Although anything goes on Carnival, jeans are barely enough to get you into the dining room on Smart Casual evenings.

I haven't seen this to be true at all. 🤔  Showing up in some type clothing (not beachwear, I hope) is the reality of today's MDR.  I may not like it, just call me old-fashioned if you want.

I just wear what fits the dress code that evening. Simply because that's MY comfort level. 🙂🙂

But, saying "jeans are barely enough" is misleading the OP. I'm sure it's been said ....  You really do see it all in the MDR  ... for better or worse! 

🌸🌸 Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

30 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Although anything goes on Carnival, jeans are barely enough to get you into the dining room on Smart Casual evenings.

3 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

I haven't seen this too be true at all.  Showing up in some type clothing (not beachwear)  is the reality.  I may not like it, others too. So, I just wear what fits the dress code that evening. Simply because that's MY comfort level. 🙂🙂

But, saying "jeans are barely enough" is misleading the OP. I'm sure it's been said ....  You really do see it all in the MDR  ... for better or worse! 

🌸🌸 Bobbi

Sorry, thought I ended that post with my traditional “on other cruise lines” but it looks like I didn’t. Too late to edit but thanks for pointing it out to remind me of the importance of proofreading 🙂

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Thanks 1

Just now, xDisconnections said:

Sorry, thought I ended that post with my traditional “on other cruise lines” but it looks like I didn’t. Too late to edit but thanks for pointing it out 🙂

Just now, xDisconnections said:

Sorry, thought I ended that post with my traditional “on other cruise lines” but it looks like I didn’t. Too late to edit but thanks for pointing it out 🙂

I

Gotcha!  Boy, we were on the Oasis in late August. Same darn thing, I really am out of the groove ???  It seems absolutely appriopriate to me to dress well, appriopriatly!  I tell myself NOT to judge, it's hard with the "outfits". NOT different styles, I get that, ahh it's all been said before. 🙄🙄

5 hours ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

Simply put the rules say no jeans. Why do most people think that they don't need to obey the rules?  

Because Carnival doesn’t enforce their own rules.  John Heald recently commented on his site about people stealing the table numbers in the MDR.  To me, that is 100% Carnival’s fault.  By consistently failing to enforce your own rules (MDR dress code, no smoking on balconies, no marijuana, 40 minutes to reserve a chair, etc.), Carnival has created an environment where most passengers know they can basically do what they want on the ship without worrying about any consequences. So people taking table numbers from the MDR should came as no surprise to Carnival. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why it is so hard to just wear a nice paid of Khakis and a button  down shirt.  I totally understand the no suit and tie deal as I don't want to wear that either, but jeans is just lazy.  I hate going to the super nice restaurants here locally and see people in jeans in and t-shirts.  It doesn't ruin my meal or anything but people these days just have zero common sense.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, che-vos said:

Have you eaten at a Chuck-E-Cheese lately? 😁.  I have and I place the MDR a little higher quality. But I also still enjoy packing a suit, so I'm in the minority. 

But as for the original question, I would go one step above jeans. 

Haha, I haven't been at Chuck-E-Cheese for a very long time, of course I was taking it to the ridiculous extreme with that comparison.

I was just trying to make the point that Carnival gave up on making it an upscale dining experience long ago.

I hope people understand that some people pay more for their jeans that others pay for a whole outfit.  Jeans don't need to be bought at Wal-mart or Target only.  IMO, A $200 pair of jeans a a coat is every bit as nice as a polo and black pants (that is what I wear by the way).  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

I hope people understand that some people pay more for their jeans that others pay for a whole outfit.  Jeans don't need to be bought at Wal-mart or Target only.  IMO, A $200 pair of jeans a a coat is every bit as nice as a polo and black pants (that is what I wear by the way).  

I am working in Texas right now and I dare someone to tell a Texas cowboy dressed in his pressed jeans, polished cowboy boots and best plaid shirt that he is not properly dressed to eat in the main dining room.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. To add a little clarification to my statement about not wearing jeans on other cruise lines and why: 

I have only been on 4 cruises, 1 Princess 7 day, 2 HAL 7 day, and a 4 day on Triumph from Galveston. The difference in demographics and dress code between three other 2 and Carnival was roughly the difference in a trip to the theatre vs a trip to a movie theatre. 

I also thought it would be nice to avoid the khakis and button up shirt because that is what I wear to work every day. I feel much more dressed up in nice jeans and a sport coat with button up shirt than I do in kahakis and button up alone.Again, thank you all for your responses. I think I’ll pack a pair of slacks and jeans so that I can make a game time decision.

• Like 1

I feel like part of the decline in people dressing up is our (yes - us on Cruise Critic) fault. New cruisers come here & ask if this or that is ok and we answer to wear whatever you want because Carnival doesn't enforce it.

No Carnival doesn't enforce their dress codes, but we just told them to wear whatever they want. 

If we'd state the specifics of the dress codes with examples, then that's probably what people would wear. If we keep saying to "Dress down, it doesn't matter" then that's exactly what everyone is going to do.

• Like 1

Two wrongs don't make it right! Just because Carnival does not enforce it, does not make it right. Don't be the person who stomps their feet and says " But others are doing it"! However they are called guidelines, so use your best judgement. Dress appropriately and enjoy your cruise! It's only 1-2 week(s)!