Late night snacks in the Windjammer on Mariner - any other ships offer this?

We were on the Mariner 5 night cruise last week and they offered late night snacks in the Windjammer every night from 10:30 to 12:30. We did not go as we are not usually late night eaters but others that went said they had burgers, deserts and stuff. It was in the front section of the WJ with the doors to the rear closed. 

I know now this has been a big complaint with RCI that their late night snacks are very limited. I’m wondering if this is a one-off trial or typical on short cruises? Or do they offer this on other ships now?

We usually do late seating, so there is no way we could eat again after 2 hours!  But, on a few ships, they had waiters in the bars with sweet or savory "munchies" after 11pm or so...definitely not burgers, but something, if you were so inclined.

I'm a late night snacker --- but we do early dining because of kids ---  It's no problem on the big ships because Sorrentos is always open for a late night slice.... and Cafe Promenade for a while too.

When we sailed on Serenade with no Promenade I was so annoyed by not having late night food.   They had solarium bistro but they served hot dogs every single night.

I'm hoping for better options when I bored Vision in a few weeks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

When we sailed on Serenade with no Promenade I was so annoyed by not having late night food.   They had solarium bistro but they served hot dogs every single night.

There's a Solarium Bistro on the Serenade? 

Edited by Yorkvillain

55 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I'm a late night snacker --- but we do early dining because of kids ---  It's no problem on the big ships because Sorrentos is always open for a late night slice.... and Cafe Promenade for a while too.

It would be nice to have this option of late night food in the WJ fleetwide. Would love it if they offered some breakfast type food too. Anything is better than only having the option of Sorrento's or Promenade Cafe (not a favorite).

Why is it that Mariner is the only ship offering this and has for awhile? Hasn't RCI figured out by now this is what most of us want!

Hope you'll come back and post of your experience with this on Vision as we'll be on her in May.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

On Serenade right now and have been to the cafe in solarium every night.  It is open to 12am.  They have served sandwiches, nachos, bakery items and pizza every night.  Have not seen hot dogs at all, so the menu has changed a little.  Plus the pizza is way better than years past.

I'm a late night snacker also.

Royal does really need to improve on this IMO.  Pizza and finger sandwiches get old fast as the ONLY options late at night other than room service (I don't want to sit around in my room at night waiting for room service, I want to be enjoying the ship!).  We've taken advantage of both Sorrentos and/or Cafe Promenade on previous cruises, but there just isn't much to choose from and it gets old fast.

I also hope that the Navigator start doing the late night Windjammer option.  Playmakers is an improvement for sure.  However, that closes at midnight.  We'll how close to midnight they will still serve up food.

Dan

21 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

We were on the Mariner 5 night cruise last week and they offered late night snacks in the Windjammer every night from 10:30 to 12:30. We did not go as we are not usually late night eaters but others that went said they had burgers, deserts and stuff. It was in the front section of the WJ with the doors to the rear closed. 

I know now this has been a big complaint with RCI that their late night snacks are very limited. I’m wondering if this is a one-off trial or typical on short cruises? Or do they offer this on other ships now?

Hopefully this is a trial that proves successful and is rolled out to other ships.  There have been times where we've snacked too much during the day....or have eaten a very late lunch...which results in not being hungry at dinner time.  Often, we'd go to WJ not hungry just to try to eat something, knowing that after 9:00 pm, options are severely limited.

Having the option to have something more than pizza and finger sandwiches at 10 or 11 pm would be a great solution.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Hopefully this is a trial that proves successful and is rolled out to other ships.  There have been times where we've snacked too much during the day....or have eaten a very late lunch...which results in not being hungry at dinner time.  Often, we'd go to WJ not hungry just to try to eat something, knowing that after 9:00 pm, options are severely limited.

Having the option to have something more than pizza and finger sandwiches at 10 or 11 pm would be a great solution.

As I said in my post #6...Mariner has been offering this late night WJ option for quite sometime.......It shouldn't take that long to realize it's what cruiser's want and put it into effect...Come on RCI get on this finally !!!!!

36 minutes ago, Ashland said:

....It shouldn't take that long to realize it's what cruiser's want and put it into effect...

Yeah, but at what cost? RCI is looking at the bottom line to keep the WJ open along with all the wasted food and it probably doesn't make sense. 

15 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Unfortunately with vision being a small vision class ship lol you are going to have the same problem. Only the Park Cafe in the Solarium is going to be open.. Thats something I hated about enchantment nowhere to get good late night pizza. 

Edited by agslc5

7 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I'm a late night snacker also.

Royal does really need to improve on this IMO.  Pizza and finger sandwiches get old fast as the ONLY options late at night other than room service (I don't want to sit around in my room at night waiting for room service, I want to be enjoying the ship!).  We've taken advantage of both Sorrentos and/or Cafe Promenade on previous cruises, but there just isn't much to choose from and it gets old fast.

I also hope that the Navigator start doing the late night Windjammer option.  Playmakers is an improvement for sure.  However, that closes at midnight.  We'll how close to midnight they will still serve up food.

Dan

Totally agree with this that Royal needs to improve on snacks after Windjammer closes. It was especially annoying on our last Anthem cruise when we would come out of a show, go to Cafe Promenade for a cup of coffee and a couple of cookies. They would have a crew member standing behind the counter with a SINGLE JAR of cookies and would give you one cookie. Then when that jar ran out, didn’t refill it. It was a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Yeah, but at what cost? RCI is looking at the bottom line to keep the WJ open along with all the wasted food and it probably doesn't make sense. 

Agree. That's why they did away with the Midnight Buffets that were held every night... In the 90's only choice after Dinner besides that was Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fries and Pizza in Solarium's though they were open until 3am

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Their doing it on Mariner (and have been for awhile). Our last cruise on X (owned by RCI) their Oceanview Cafe had late hours with a nice selection. RCI losing $'s on offering this, that's doubtful. RCI can "save" money if they really need to by eliminating all the wasted paper advertisements we get left in our cabin each night that's just thrown away. JMHO. I'm really tired of all the reasons RCI needs to save money....just so they can improve Coco Cay (but charging a high price for the amenities there) and the need to buy and develop additional other private islands. Sorry for the rant today....but after all......

45 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. That's why they did away with the Midnight Buffets that were held every night... In the 90's only choice after Dinner besides that was Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fries and Pizza in Solarium's though they were open until 3am

We're not asking for the extravaganza of a midnight buffet  :classic_rolleyes: Just some better late night options.

• Like 4

On 2/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, The Sunset Glow said:

We find enough snacks in the evening at Cafe Promenade without going all the way up to the Jammer.  We were on Mariner in November, and never even thought to go to the Jammer in the evening for snacks. On smaller ships it would be nice to have the Jammer open with late night dessert-type snacks that don't have a Cafe Promenade like setup.  

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

I would happily pay for decent late night food offerings.  It doesn't need to be a money loser.

Just standard pub food would be fine with me.  Nachos, wings, burgers...  That's why I'm excited about Playmakers, but they close at midnight.

Dan

1 hour ago, Dina7 said:

They would have a crew member standing behind the counter with a SINGLE JAR of cookies and would give you one cookie. Then when that jar ran out, didn’t refill it. It was a joke.

I would start a revolt, because 1) I don't like cookies and most other sweet snacks like that... cake, pie.  Yeah, I'm weird.  😉

and 2)  that's just ridiculous!

Dan

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

The Midnight Buffets were a disgraceful waste of food....IMO.  But having a place that offered late night snacks besides Cafe Promenade would be a nice offering...on the larger ships that have a Cafe Promenade, we have found enough choices there....although I would like fruit cups (just my 2cents) to be available a little more.    When we would sail on Majesty there was Cafe Latitudes, but it did not offer a big selection of late night snacks....so we would go to the Jammer, before it closed to get a fruit plate and some cookies....and take them to whatever evening activity we were going to...usually Karaoke.

4 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

The Midnight Buffets were a disgraceful waste of food....IMO.  But having a place that offered late night snacks besides Cafe Promenade would be a nice offering...on the larger ships that have a Cafe Promenade, we have found enough choices there....although I would like fruit cups (just my 2cents) to be available a little more.    When we would sail on Majesty there was Cafe Latitudes, but it did not offer a big selection of late night snacks....so we would go to the Jammer, before it closed to get a fruit plate and some cookies....and take them to whatever evening activity we were going to...usually Karaoke.

Yeah, myself always bring Ziplock baggies with me. During day like to stock up and have Desserts or just cookies and milk at nite... My Daughter and Grand Daughter like you loves them some fruit

Edited by ONECRUISER

40 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I would happily pay for decent late night food offerings.  It doesn't need to be a money loser.

Just standard pub food would be fine with me.  Nachos, wings, burgers...  That's why I'm excited about Playmakers, but they close at midnight.

Dan

If that is what you want and don't mind paying room service will provide it for you.

I don't think folks should have pay extra to get some reasonably decent food to snack on after 9 PM when the Windjammer closes. And the stuff in the Cafe Promenade, on ships that have one, is not reasonably decent.

• Like 3