Non-Refunable deposits - BEWARE!!!!

5 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

Well Serious medical care can be required by anyone at any time.

So are you saying don't cruise because you're in the middle of the ocean and you might need medical care.

Major difference. Ship’s doctor does not have access to pediatric meds, instruments, etc.  At least by six months babies are hopefully stable, eating well, gaining weight, etc. 

An infant can “go down hill” very quickly.  Even a couple of months in age can make a difference. 

• Like 3

Sorry to the OP.

I'm not sure how clear this rule is to the average person. Friends of ours were planning a large family trip to Alaska and didn't know about this rule until I told them. They were able to reschedule for the next summer (they were just about to book) but I am guessing that a lot of people don't know about this rule.

Wish they could work with you.

38 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Sorry to the OP.

I'm not sure how clear this rule is to the average person. Friends of ours were planning a large family trip to Alaska and didn't know about this rule until I told them. They were able to reschedule for the next summer (they were just about to book) but I am guessing that a lot of people don't know about this rule.

Wish they could work with you.

It's been a while since we booked.  So I went online and picked a random ship on a random date in 2020.  As I'm going through the process (I noticed when I was asked to put names on the booking), on the side appears this:

image.png.ee63dec3ee814ebbae9dc12cba4b310f.png

Notice the Cancellation policy... if you Cancel After Today, the penalty is the Minimum Deposit.   People might not know about the policy, but that's not the fault of Royal.  You need to pay attention to what you're booking.  

Hotels are now giving a "prepaid" discount when you book.  But if you have to cancel, you don't get a refund.  Airlines are the same way (with two exceptions), as are some rental car deals.  

I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who agrees to a NRD and then gets upset that they lose the deposit when they have to make a change.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

It's been a while since we booked.  So I went online and picked a random ship on a random date in 2020.  As I'm going through the process (I noticed when I was asked to put names on the booking), on the side appears this:

Notice the Cancellation policy... if you Cancel After Today, the penalty is the Minimum Deposit.   People might not know about the policy, but that's not the fault of Royal.  You need to pay attention to what you're booking.  

Hotels are now giving a "prepaid" discount when you book.  But if you have to cancel, you don't get a refund.  Airlines are the same way (with two exceptions), as are some rental car deals.  

I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who agrees to a NRD and then gets upset that they lose the deposit when they have to make a change.  

I'm not talking about the NRD policy; that is pretty clear. I am talking about the policy of infants under a certain age not being able to sail on certain itineraries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't like the NRD rules, but they are pretty clear and upfront as to what you are or are not getting.  I won't book NRD rates because of this.  One of the TA's I use flat refuses to book ANY guest under an NRD for similar reasons to OP.  People don't read the terms and conditions closely enough as to what happens in the event of a change or cancellation.  I don't think NRD is consumer-friendly so I don't choose it, but if I did I wouldn't complain about being held to the T&C's either.  Think of OP's post as a reminder.  

So that TA will not book any full suites?

Really??

22 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I'm not talking about the NRD policy; that is pretty clear. I am talking about the policy of infants under a certain age not being able to sail on certain itineraries. 

It is not hard to find.

5 seconds to type and search brings up - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise and/or CruiseTour. HOWEVER: For transatlantic, transpacific, Hawaii, select South American and other selected cruises and/or CruiseTours, the infant must be at least 12 months old as of the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour. For the purposes of this policy, any cruise that has 3 or more days consecutive at sea will require infants to be 12 months old on the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

People don't read the terms and conditions closely enough as to what happens in the event of a change or cancellation.

Welcome to the UK T&C’s.

We very rarely cancel a cruise, as we always loose our deposit. We need to think very carefully before we book a cruise.

However, recently it has been possible to transfer a cruise ONCE at a cost of £75. This was to get us in line with USA, as there were so many complaints.

Congrats on the new grandbaby OP.

I am confused as to why all of you must lose your deposits?  I understand that the baby cannot cruise, due to safety reasons which other posters have already outlined, and fully understand if your daugher is not comfortable leaving the baby on shore with someone else (or doesn't have someone whom she could leave the baby with, or is nursing and can't leave the baby, etc)---but what is stopping you from cruising?  Was your DD  your cabinmate?  If so, you should be able to swap out her name for someome else at no added cost.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SRF said:

FTFY

Seems like she got pregnant right around the time they booked the cruise, so that was probably not the first thing on her mind. 

I am surprised Royal took such a hard line, especially with a TA involved. I've had some issues (nothing huge) over the years and Royal has been generous in their resolutions. If I had posted here first, I probably would have been ripped to shreds. I'm guessing that the all-caps 'BEWARE' in the thread title just riled some people up.

OP, maybe try writing a short and calm email explaining the problem yourself. It can't hurt. mbayley@rccl.com

I agree that she probably got pregnant about the same time. However, OP had the choice of what kind of deposit to book.  Also the choice to take out insurance.

I agree that RC can be helpful/kind/generous or whatever you choose to call it, but other people have to “follow the rules or accept the consequences.”  It gets old with all the people thinking rules don’t apply to them and asking for exceptions to be made.  

And all they want to do is charge a "change date" fee of $100 pp?  I would think that the "change date" fee would be less than losing your whole deposit!!  Just pay the $100 pp and change the dates and everyone will be happy and maybe grandbaby can go, too!!!  Rules are rules and I would sure not want to take an infant on a cruise with 5,000 people and the chance of getting a norovirus, etc.  And, I'm thinking that your daughters pediatrician would agree 100%.

And all they want to do is charge a "change date" fee of $100 pp?  I would think that the "change date" fee would be less than losing your whole deposit!!  Just pay the $100 pp and change the dates and everyone will be happy and maybe grandbaby can go, too!!!  Rules are rules and I would sure not want to take an infant on a cruise with 5,000 people and the chance of getting a norovirus, etc.  And, I'm thinking that your daughters pediatrician would agree 100%.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:13 PM, swoopy2110 said:

Rules are rules. Make an exception for you and they have to make an exception for everyone.

You knew the rules when booking the fare.

They make exceptions for various circumstances, just read these boards. They (OP) probably did know the rules when booking the fare. Maybe a pregnancy was not on their radar. Never hurts to ask for consideration in a pleasant way.  I never go into an exception request expecting it to be decided in my favor. Maybe that is why I have such good luck when I do make requests to companies.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:57 AM, marci22 said:

Seems like she got pregnant right around the time they booked the cruise, so that was probably not the first thing on her mind. 

I am surprised Royal took such a hard line, especially with a TA involved. I've had some issues (nothing huge) over the years and Royal has been generous in their resolutions. If I had posted here first, I probably would have been ripped to shreds. I'm guessing that the all-caps 'BEWARE' in the thread title just riled some people up.

OP, maybe try writing a short and calm email explaining the problem yourself. It can't hurt. mbayley@rccl.com

I think there are so many people trying to game the system these days they have to take a hard line on these kinds of policies. What you do for one, you will end up having to do for all.