Current Pinnacle Grille menu?

BTwurddle

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I know you get charged extra, if you order two entrees in the PG, does that apply to extra appetizers like the Shrimp Cocktail? If not I would order two and get 6 shrimp. I know in the MDR you can order more than 1 of anything at no extra charge.

Good idea.

2 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

In the PG or Rudi's we were told by our waiter we could order as many appetizers as we wanted.  I remember 4 shrimp on our Panama cruise last year.  

That solves the number of Shrimp problem posted earlier. We will have my 10 year old grandson with us on the Noordam in July and he will eat 4 or 5 of the shrimp cocktails,:classic_cool: he loves his shrimp. Last summer we were at the beach with him and we ordered a dozen raw oysters and when were not watching he downed 8 of them, he loves oysters too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

That solves the number of Shrimp problem posted earlier. We will have my 10 year old grandson with us on the Noordam in July and he will eat 4 or 5 of the shrimp cocktails,:classic_cool: he loves his shrimp. Last summer we were at the beach with him and we ordered a dozen raw oysters and when were not watching he downed 8 of them, he loves oysters too.

That's super!! I love kids who are adventurous eaters.

We start ours eating "different" stuff early and have always had the 2 bites rule. 2 bites and if you still don't like it, we will just try it again in a couple years. Ds eats almost anything... though raw oysters would probably still be a challenge. They still are for me too. :classic_blink:

22 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Actually  the beef  is well above CHOICE...it is PRIME which is way above.!!!!.    I dont think  Double R /Snake river sell choice   Only prime, Kobe/ select 

I trained professionally in culinary school.and Double R Ranch is part of Snake River Ranch,    This is the supplier  to Thomas Kellers, Per Se and French Laundry,  Wolfgang Puck's .., and His others.   Cat Cora,   ...   

While food is somewhat subjective,  the shear number of some of the top Chefs in the world, both just USA  who all use Double R/Snake River Ranch ( look them up)   is rather impressive,    It is the GOLD standard of  US meat and what the most demanding Chefs in the  world choose...  They also supply the Kubota Pork too..      

Your right its not what premier steak places serve....it is by far Superior.        Its what Michelin *** serve !    I know of only 3 or 4 places   in the USA and Europe  that serve   this quality...mainly the dry aged  30 to 60 day which some love but others find the taste funny   

His is as good as you can get...short of Select KOBE    at $150 a lb   

You should read the Double R website before posting... 🙄

Double R produces USDA Choice, USDA Top 1/3 Choice, and USDA Prime.  While some of those Named chefs/restaurants (you have them so mixed up I don't know which is a chef and which is a restaurant (out side of Per Se and French Laundry) may use their PRIME graded products, it's not to say that HAL does...

My hotel's restaurant uses some Snake River products (Waygu sliders), since is is kind of local.  It was a cool boutique operation a decade ago and lots of local chefs used their product.  As is the case with popular things, it grew and commercialized and was absorbed into a conglomerate that has several brands.  Our restaurant also uses a lot of Niman Ranch product.   Some restaurants are moving away from "Kurobuta" pork and going towards "Heritage" pork.   

I don't eat red meat, so I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I'm not sure I'd want meat from a company called "Agribeef"...  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

You should read the Double R website before posting... 🙄

Double R produces USDA Choice, USDA Top 1/3 Choice, and USDA Prime.  While some of those Named chefs/restaurants (you have them so mixed up I don't know which is a chef and which is a restaurant (out side of Per Se and French Laundry) may use their PRIME graded products, it's not to say that HAL does...

My hotel's restaurant uses some Snake River products (Waygu sliders), since is is kind of local.  It was a cool boutique operation a decade ago and lots of local chefs used their product.  As is the case with popular things, it grew and commercialized and was absorbed into a conglomerate that has several brands.  Our restaurant also uses a lot of Niman Ranch product.   Some restaurants are moving away from "Kurobuta" pork and going towards "Heritage" pork.   

I don't eat red meat, so I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I'm not sure I'd want meat from a company called "Agribeef"...  

well   that applies to you....read the menu...it says  CHOICE or BETTER.....   Some of the cuts are going to be higher in grade due to their type...like filet. vs Sirloin.  Plus Double R  has their Black and GOLD  grades. 

From my experience, over the years, I find what they label Choice  id what the other guys call Prime.   Yes its a USDA thing.  but the products I receive are much higher than the grade  might indicate. 

Chefs Puck'...CUT and SPAGO restraunt   Cat Cora... don't where she is working...   check the coma between  

Sorry you dont eat meat...you know meat  is really a vegetable by product..... a animal eats plants and creates meat;...bingo     I will eat for you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

People seem to consistently enjoy the filets.  I made two attempts at ordering the rib-eye, and both times they were nothing but gristle and fat.  I will avoid those in future.  YMMV

Personally, I'm ready for a new PG menu.  Seems like it's time.

Ribeye is a very fatty cut by virtue of its source.    If it were not fatty it would have not much flavor and be tough.  like Round steak, eye of round,  etc...its sliced from the prime rib.  Fat is flavor   more fat  more flavor and salt.    Its hard to  find such a large cut as Ribeye  because its so large     ....  Porterhouse  easier   ( Filet and Loin)     my favorite  are Lamb Loin and Pork Loin which are tough to find.     Try a Lamb Loin covered in a thyme puree and roasted in a croute du sel......Ala Robuschon  !    Beef is nice  bit lake the flavor of Lamb and pork which is delicate. and light.

14 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

well   that applies to you....read the menu...it says  CHOICE or BETTER.....   Some of the cuts are going to be higher in grade due to their type...like filet. vs Sirloin.  Plus Double R  has their Black and GOLD  grades. 

From my experience, over the years, I find what they label Choice  id what the other guys call Prime.   Yes its a USDA thing.  but the products I receive are much higher than the grade  might indicate. 

Chefs Puck'...CUT and SPAGO restraunt   Cat Cora... don't where she is working...   check the coma between  

Sorry you dont eat meat...you know meat  is really a vegetable by product..... a animal eats plants and creates meat;...bingo     I will eat for you.

CHOICE or BETTER - does not mean only Prime.  It could be that intermediate 1/3 Choice...  It also means that they sell all 3 USDA grades of beef.  Unless someone is a true food snob - if it is prepared properly and tastes good, I don't think a typical HAL cruiser would know or care.

If someone is saying they serve "prime" when it is graded "choice" are misleading, just like when chefs were serving shark and calling it swordfish.   

As for the Black and Gold grades, that is actually for the Snake River Waygu beef products, not Double R.  They are Silver, Black, Gold.   

I didn't say I was vegetarian or vegan - I said I don't eat red meat...  And, yes, since I was raised in a farm town, I am fully aware that cows eat vegetables and grains...  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Ribeye is a very fatty cut by virtue of its source.    If it were not fatty it would have not much flavor and be tough.  like Round steak, eye of round,  etc...its sliced from the prime rib.  Fat is flavor   more fat  more flavor and salt.    Its hard to  find such a large cut as Ribeye  because its so large     ....  Porterhouse  easier   ( Filet and Loin)     my favorite  are Lamb Loin and Pork Loin which are tough to find.     Try a Lamb Loin covered in a thyme puree and roasted in a croute du sel......Ala Robuschon  !    Beef is nice  bit lake the flavor of Lamb and pork which is delicate. and light.

I made a lamb loin not long ago. It was a delightful piece of meat to cook. Open it up and smear herbs, salt, and garlic inside. Retie and salt and sear then finish in the oven. Easy and the flavor was excellent. The whole family was thrilled. I am used to chops, racks, legs, and shanks but this was my first lamb loin. I will always be on the look out for it in future. 

I am actually making a rib roast tonight. We like tasty animals. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Was it as good as it looks? The last time we were in Florence Italy, 4 of us ordered "Steak Florentine"  which is a Porterhouse steak about that size, and it looked a lot like your rib eye. It was better than any US Premium steak house I have every visited. 

How has your experience been with the PG crab legs?

The President's Cut was not quite as tender as a filet mignon but much more flavorful.  My photographs were of platters, not plates, and thus the steak does not appear as huge as it truly was.

I have eaten almost everything on the PG menu and my first meal in the PG every cruise is the crab legs.  As with most seafood, there is a narrow line between properly cooked and overcooked.  So far, I have only experienced the properly cooked crab legs.  Each leg is portioned and cut open by the chef so only a minimum effort is required to remove the contents.  Add the braised brussel sprouts and asparagus for a healthy meal leaving the dessert to give the big calorie boost.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

I have eaten almost everything on the PG menu and my first meal in the PG every cruise is the crab legs.  As with most seafood, there is a narrow line between properly cooked and overcooked.  So far, I have only experienced the properly cooked crab legs.  Each leg is portioned and cut open by the chef so only a minimum effort is required to remove the contents.  Add the braised brussel sprouts and asparagus for a healthy meal leaving the dessert to give the big calorie boost

Thank you for the information, you just sold me on what to have on our Alaska Cruise in the PG, can't wait to try them. I have a meat market e that sells 24 day dry aged prime Strip and Rib Eyes that I grill to perfection, so we very rarely eat steak at any restaurants which lets us try a lot of different non steak options.

My Grandson will probable have them too with 3 or 4 of the shrimp cocktails, he loves crab, lobster and shrimp, I don't dare offer him any caviar at $75 a serving.

9 minutes ago, GRACECRUISE said:

Now that they are changing the menu (and not bringing back the clam chowder) do you think the price will increase?

My guess is that either the price will increase or we will see more up-charge items. I did notice the Delmonico Steak on the Nieuw Statendam that is an up-charge.  It appeared the President's Cut steak was gone- likely didn't sell well.

7 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

I made a lamb loin not long ago. It was a delightful piece of meat to cook. Open it up and smear herbs, salt, and garlic inside. Retie and salt and sear then finish in the oven. Easy and the flavor was excellent. The whole family was thrilled. I am used to chops, racks, legs, and shanks but this was my first lamb loin. I will always be on the look out for it in future. 

I am actually making a rib roast tonight. We like tasty animals. 

Try the thyme in a salt crust..  You can find the recipe from Joel Robuschon  one of the premier chefs in the world...

22 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

You underestimate my love of fat!  LOL  I'm willing to take in quite a bit of it for a good steak flavor, and I love me a ribeye, but these weren't like that.  They were just bad steaks -- 75% gristle.  (Although I always hesitate to give bad reports like this, because luck can have a lot to do with it.)

But speaking of lamb, we've found that throughout the dining venues HAL is offering much more of it these days.  I really enjoy their lamb.  A standout was a lamb chop dish with three sauces in MDR.  Delicious.

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

You underestimate my love of fat!  LOL  I'm willing to take in quite a bit of it for a good steak flavor, and I love me a ribeye, but these weren't like that.  They were just bad steaks -- 75% gristle.  (Although I always hesitate to give bad reports like this, because luck can have a lot to do with it.)

But speaking of lamb, we've found that throughout the dining venues HAL is offering much more of it these days.  I really enjoy their lamb.  A standout was a lamb chop dish with three sauces in MDR.  Delicious.

As to why Lamb......just check out the currency of the N.Z. dollar to the USD...thats why  Rib Eye's its a difficult cut to consistently  get great.   Many times the kitchen  just slices off from a prime rib roast and make a steak...  Sadly cattle are not computer controlled .    ( However in Calif they are proposing laws to require cows to emit less gas, like cars by 2022)

• Haha 2

On 2/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, taxmantoo said:

Currently on the Volendam and was advised by the Executive Chef that all ships are converting to the new PG menu introduced on the Nieuw Statendam on March 1.  The new bread baskets have already made their appearance...

That’s good to know!  Thanks 😄

Looks like we may have the new menu on our cruise then.  Time will tell 😉 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 5:24 AM, ottahand7 said:

When we dined in the Pinnacle a couple of nights ago on the Rotterdam our waiter Jerry informed us new menu for the Pinnacle is coming in March.  I had read that it was happening mid-February but no change yet.   No matter what someone's ox will probably be gored.  The halibut?  the steak tartare?   Kurobota pork chops?  Lobster bisque?  Cioppino?  It is always difficult to change a menu where everyone is familiar with.   I am hoping that they add some veal again.  I am sure it will be posted on CC as soon as it breaks.   Our dinner pics.  I must note our second dinner the house peeled carrots was the "baby carrots" nuggets like we get at the grocery.   

pork chop 21219.jpg

shrimp cocktail 21919.jpg

steak 21219.jpg

Those meals look terrible. And very old fashioned, like a 70,s menu. 

• Like 1

I think the food looks and sounds lovely.  Looking at the drinks at the bottom of the menu, though, the list seems a bit limited.  Can you not get a glass of champagne as an aperitif or do you have to get that from another bar and bring it in, or maybe a waiter would get it for you?