Captain of Azura - sorry

Presto2

Sorry, it is a boring question and I know that some of you will question why I am bothering to ask but ...

Any idea who the Captain of the Azura is at the moment and who is likely to be there at Easter?

Have looked at the P&O magazine and there is no sign on there of who is there on the 20th April

Would appreciate it if anyone has any info

Many thanks

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

It has been reported that P&O don't publish anymore who the captains will be for future cruises, apparently for security reasons

this needs confirmation

I seem to recall having heard this a year or two ago, only to subsequently receive issues of Moments that - as before - gave that information. So we'll see in due course whether this time it's true or just another rumour.

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

It has been reported that P&O don't publish anymore who the captains will be for future cruises, apparently for security reasons

this needs confirmation

Having said that P&O have just confirmed that Wesley Dunlop will be the Captain on board Iona during her summer season in the Norwegian Fjords.

4 hours ago, P-L-B said:

Having said that P&O have just confirmed that Wesley Dunlop will be the Captain on board Iona during her summer season in the Norwegian Fjords.

That's what I was just going to post :-)

Not sure what to make of this one - never heard of him and am surprised the Captain who was Britannia's has not got it.

4 hours ago, Clodia said:

My last copy of moments had this information but didn't go as far as April; anyone know when the next issue is due out?

Same here - it didn't go that far so I was trying to work out the ones who were going on leave and when they may return !

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's what I was just going to post 🙂

Not sure what to make of this one - never heard of him and am surprised the Captain who was Britannia's has not got it.

According to moments Wesley Dunlop was the Captain on board Britannia 30th Sept - 18th Jan.

I think he has been the captain on board one of our previous cruises but cant remember which one.

Q. What is your experience with P&O Cruises and what are you doing now?

A. Following my appointment within the company I was assigned command of Aurora, a beautiful ship and firm favourite within the fleet. For two years I sailed Norway, the Mediterranean, the Canary Islands, the Baltic, America and Canada. I was also captain for her 2017 World Cruise, which was one of my career highlights. At the end of 2017 I was delighted to discover I had been chosen to command Britannia, and what an absolute honour it has been.

Edited by P-L-B
added information
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's what I was just going to post :-)

Wes Dunlop is/was the captain of Britannia? Or at least he was last May. He is fantastic. Really personable but takes his duties very seriously.

He was previously on Aurora and I think he joined P&O from Saga.

I think it is a great appointment.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Paul Brown was captain on Britannia when we sailed on her last March but Wesley Dunlop was onboard for a few days prior to us disembarking because he was taking over from Captain Brown for a couple of months.Whilst onboard Paul Brown told us he wouldn t want to be captain of Iona. I think he says he wants to retire in the next few years though I think he is only early 50'ss

Met Paul Brown on a 'Behind the Scenes Tour' of Britannia when she was new. He seemed a good guy and very personable.

He will be a loss when he retires ...

Re our original question … looks like we will have to wait and see --- unless anyone on here going on Azura in the next few months can keep us updated

:-)

We will be on Azura at the end of March, and will try to establish who will be Captain for the Easter cruise. Will post our findings on our return.

We were on Britannia in Caribbean in December, and were very impressed by Wesley Dunlap. Sure that he will an excellent choice to Captain Iona.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Wesley Dunlop. He was the captain on our last cruise on Aurora (2017) and was very personable. Always had a word if you saw him around the ship (and we're not "must talk to the captain" people)  and often seen eating in the buffet. Been on two cruises with Paul Brown as captain (1 x Azura, 1 x Britannia) and don't particularly rate him, in that I never saw him around the ship or interacting with passengers. 

Wesley Dunlop, was captain on our TA trip in November 18 on the Britannia.We attended an "an audience event with the captain" in the theatre and he came across as a very likeable down to earth guy. Some really good speeches on the captains evening.

We did spot him round the ship a few times, chatting with passengers, and he'd had a few early morning medical emergencies on that cruise to deal with, which were handled very well.

Going back to the OP's original question, I'd  be interested to know who's due to be captain of the Azura as we're sailing on her in May.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:26 AM, amfc_lenny said:

Wesley Dunlop, was captain on our TA trip in November 18 on the Britannia.We attended an "an audience event with the captain" in the theatre and he came across as a very likeable down to earth guy. Some really good speeches on the captains evening.

We did spot him round the ship a few times, chatting with passengers, and he'd had a few early morning medical emergencies on that cruise to deal with, which were handled very well.

Going back to the OP's original question, I'd  be interested to know who's due to be captain of the Azura as we're sailing on her in May.

I am also booked on Azura from 4th to 11th May, so I would be interested to find out who it will be too?

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, davemorton said:

Cant remember which of the 2 named above was the Captain on one of my cruises (sure it was one of them), but the captain used to always give a 'quote of the day'.  Was most entertaining. Anyone any idea who it was? 

Sounds like Rob Camby who is now on Oceana

4 hours ago, docco said:

On Azura now and it's Captain Howarth. You hear him over the tannoy occasionally but I've not seen him. 

That doesn't sound good --- was hoping for someone like the lovely Andy Willard who we think is a brilliant Captain and has an excellent relationship with the passengers and crew.

We had a boring and almost invisible captain on the Ventura in May last year. Can't remember what his name was, so that just shows the amount of impact he had on us. I was really hoping that this May on Azura, it would be a more interesting captain. Maybe someone like Camby or Willard. They seem to be the main ones that crop up often with rave reviews and happy cruisers.

• Like 1