Where would you cruise for most scenic on-ship views?

adelaidefc

I'm thinking about taking my elderly mother on one last overseas trip (from Australia). She has some mobility issues (mainly with steep inclines and lots of stairs), and I figure a cruise is a great way to see places without the hassle of excessive transit. 

Hopefully she'd be relatively healthy the whole time, but there are days when she just needs to rest, but could definitely still enjoy a nice balcony view and a beverage. 

So CruiseCritic, where and what sort of cruise would suit and offer great views from the ship, an element of luxury or plenty to do on the ship, and any suggestions for particular lines or itineraries would be most welcome!

My initial thoughts are that river cruises are best enjoyed by the relatively mobile as many of the excursions involve a bit of walking, and you may dock side-by-side so less to see from the ship at times. Caribbean is probably out - it's a reaaaally long way from Australia and harder to do sensibly timed stopovers on the way. 

So Nordic Fjords, Greek Island ocean cruises etc are where I'm thinking, but happy for new ideas and details. 

6 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I'm thinking about taking my elderly mother on one last overseas trip (from Australia). She has some mobility issues (mainly with steep inclines and lots of stairs), and I figure a cruise is a great way to see places without the hassle of excessive transit. 

Hopefully she'd be relatively healthy the whole time, but there are days when she just needs to rest, but could definitely still enjoy a nice balcony view and a beverage. 

So CruiseCritic, where and what sort of cruise would suit and offer great views from the ship, an element of luxury or plenty to do on the ship, and any suggestions for particular lines or itineraries would be most welcome!

My initial thoughts are that river cruises are best enjoyed by the relatively mobile as many of the excursions involve a bit of walking, and you may dock side-by-side so less to see from the ship at times. Caribbean is probably out - it's a reaaaally long way from Australia and harder to do sensibly timed stopovers on the way. 

So Nordic Fjords, Greek Island ocean cruises etc are where I'm thinking, but happy for new ideas and details. 

Well... it's a long distance,, but you mentioned Nordic Fjords.

We were on Hurtigruten's 12 night Round Trip Norwegian Coastal cruise just a year ago, March, 2018.

In terms of scenic views FROM the ship... the cruise almost never leaves sight of land (just for a short time), and is often right up close to GORGEOUS scenery, both natural plus little towns.

It was one of our favorite trips, which was a real surprise to us.  It's not at all a luxury line (not only no Butler, but no Room Service, for example), but that did not matter at all!  ALL of the crew were SO friendly (and all speak excellent English).

One ship leaves Bergen every day, and they pass each other as they head north and then back south.  (One can do a half trip, but we didn't want to get off even after the round trip.)

Look at the Hurtigruten section of CC, and search for posts (and videos) by members HALLASM and by SARNIA-LO.  

There aren't that many balconies, and they are on the suites, so that was quite expensive (everything is expensive in Norway), and in the winter, it's cold to just sit out there.  But on ships like Trollfjord and Midnatsol, the balconies are aft, and thus sheltered from the wind.

We went in the winter b/c our goal was to see Northern Lights.  We'd like to go back, in the summer.

But the wintery scenery was just gorgeous.  One nice thing:  The ports that the ship stops at during the day northbound are stops at night when southbound, and vice versa, so one can "see it all" anyway.  We chose March, so there would be lots of night sky, but also lots of daylight.  But summer might be better for your purposes.

These ships are FERRIES, which really worried us, and that part might be more active during the summer.  But if we didn't already know, we'd never have realized it.

It was very special :classic_smile:

GC

Europe is not a shorter trip than one to the Caribbean,  but I get your point.

Realistically,  a sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska, Glacier Bay, etc, is shorter than getting to Scandinavia. Fly to SYD, and SYD non-stop to Vancouver. 

Consider Alaska - the Inside Passage and visiting various glaciers offer spectacular views from the ship's decks.    Also cruising from Vancouver offers great views, though probably similar to cruising from Sydney.   If you stop in Victoria, plan on an excursion to the Butchart Gardens - it would probably be enjoyable and not strenuous walking.    The gardens are at their best from May through June.   

Edited by Kartgv

Unfortunately most coastal cruising these days are so far off-shore that you get limited views of the shoreline, so best to focus on cruises in fjords and narrow channels. The following might be of interest

- Cape Horn, S/America - many luxury/premium ships have voyage around Cape Horn. Also check out Australis, which operate entirely in that location

- Alaska, Vancouver based cruises complete more of the Inside Passage for better scenery. Check out Viking Ocean which advertises they are using the entire Inside Passage rather than open ocean/Hecate Strait.

- Norwegian Fjords, agree with previous response to use Hurtigruten

- St Lawrence Seaway 

Patagonia- around Cape Horn and through the Chilean Fjords. Lima to Buenos Aires (or opposite direction) during February +\-.

IMG_6386.thumb.JPG.f63924b66a4c9ede587f34da7e69ece7.JPGAny Oceania "R" (<700 passengers) or "O" (<1100 passengers) ship (with included airfare and additional perks beyond the "finest cuisine at sea."™

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I agree that the Nordic fjords are fantastic.  Actually I think the one in New Zealand was beautiful (I can't remember the name).  

I think for your objectives you should also take a real hard look at a river cruise (Europe).  You kind of have nonstop views from the boat and if you want you could always take a taxi ride around a stop rather than walk it.  

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree that the Nordic fjords are fantastic.  Actually I think the one in New Zealand was beautiful (I can't remember the name).  

I think for your objectives you should also take a real hard look at a river cruise (Europe).  You kind of have nonstop views from the boat and if you want you could always take a taxi ride around a stop rather than walk it.  

We would venture a wild guess that you are thinking about Milford Sound.  

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Europe is not a shorter trip than one to the Caribbean,  but I get your point.

Realistically,  a sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska, Glacier Bay, etc, is shorter than getting to Scandinavia. Fly to SYD, and SYD non-stop to Vancouver. 

Actually I hadn't really considered the Alaskan cruises for some reason. I picked Europe as you can do a daytime 8hr trip to Asia, then stopover and a daytime 10-12 trip onto Europe rather than 14-15hrs overnight, but I have the points for business class so I'm sure we could manage. The tip to look at Viking for some closer to shore cruising there is a great one. 

What incredible suggestions thankyou all so much already.

Hurtigruten was on my list as I'd heard a lot about the great local food onboard too. I probably shouldn't rule out the New Zealand cruises either of course! No long flights at all!

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We would venture a wild guess that you are thinking about Milford Sound.  

Hank

You are probably correct as that would be in the right area.   I honestly cannot remember.  It was a Princess cruise out of Auckland with several ports around NZ, to Tasmania, Melbourne, and eventually to Sydney.  

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Or Doubtful Sound, which is another popular NZ fjord

Oh boy, I just took a look and think that maybe is the one.   Anyway, very beautiful.  

We've done Alaska - spectacular.  We've done the Norwegian fjords - spectacular. And we've done New Zealand - spectacular.

Obviously you know your mum better than any of us, so you need to consider how well she would cope with long flights to either Europe or America whereas doing New Zealand is 'just round the corner'.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a great time.  Please let us know your decision - some of us are very nosy!!!!!

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Or Doubtful Sound, which is another popular NZ fjord

Or Dusky.

NZ out of Oz makes a great deal of sense if OP's mom hasn't sailed that way,.

And those fiords (NZ spelling :classic_wink:) are stunning.

Even big cruise ships can sail right up close to the sheer sides because those sheer sides carry on down below the waterline for hundreds of feet.

There are a number of sailings from Sydney. Or consider flying, and seeing the gorgeous scenery of South Island on a combined cruise and land tour.

JB :classic_smile:

The flights to Europe sound like murder. I think that an overnight stay in Asia makes the journey worse. Collecting luggage, transferring to a hotel, trying to sleep only to transfer back to the airport to continue on is a nightmare. Suffer through one long day of flying instead.

Consider this cruise on Celebrity Solstice:

Sunday, October 27     Sydney, Australia         5:00pm
Monday, October 28     At Sea         
Tuesday, October 29     Hobart, Tasmania, Australia     8:00am     6:00pm
Wednesday, October 30     At Sea         
Thursday, October 31     At Sea         
Friday, November 1     Milford Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)         
Friday, November 1     Doubtful Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)         
Friday, November 1     Dusky Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)         
Saturday, November 2     Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand     9:00am     7:00pm
Sunday, November 3     Akaroa, New Zealand     8:00am     7:00pm
Monday, November 4     Picton, New Zealand     8:00am     6:00pm
Tuesday, November 5     At Sea         
Wednesday, November 6     Tauranga, New Zealand     8:00am     6:00pm
Thursday, November 7     Bay of Islands, New Zealand     8:00am     7:00pm
Friday, November 8     Auckland, New Zealand     6:30am   

11 hours ago, adelaidefc said:

what sort of cruise would suit and offer great views from the ship, an element of luxury or plenty to do on the ship

Have you considered a river cruise. I think that would hit just about all the things you may be looking for.

astrild_beyla_ext-640x462.jpg

1 hour ago, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Have you considered a river cruise. I think that would hit just about all the things you may be looking for.

astrild_beyla_ext-640x462.jpg

If you read the OPs original post, she has already mostly ruled out river cruises.  And I would agree, but for different reasons.  Most of the cruising is done at night, ans I would be missing the wonderful scenery passing by in the darkness.  No, I have never done a river cruise, but I have lived in Europe and have driven along the Rhine, Main, and Elbe rivers.  EM

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If you read the OPs original post, she has already mostly ruled out river cruises.  And I would agree, but for different reasons.  Most of the cruising is done at night, ans I would be missing the wonderful scenery passing by in the darkness.  No, I have never done a river cruise, but I have lived in Europe and have driven along the Rhine, Main, and Elbe rivers.  EM

The scenery is breathtaking but OP is right to rule a river cruise out. 

Sad to miss it in the dark. 

Plus, with so many river boats now, they “raft up” when several dock at once, and passengers from the last to arrive have to clamber over the others to get to shore. How disappointing for the mobility challenged. 

10 hours ago, whogo said:

The flights to Europe sound like murder. I think that an overnight stay in Asia makes the journey worse. Collecting luggage, transferring to a hotel, trying to sleep only to transfer back to the airport to continue on is a nightmare. Suffer through one long day of flying instead.

This is absolutely not true at all. If flying via Singapore to Europe - as the OP seems to indicate judging from the timings mentioned - there is no need whatsoever to leave the airport. The Ambassador Hotel  http://www.harilelahospitality.com is within the airport terminal. You do not go through Immigration as you are not entering the country. Baggage is NOT collected as you are still airside. We use this every time we fly from NZ to Europe, which we do on a regular basis. And we choose daytime flights.

This is not what "I think" about an overnight stay in Asia, it's what I know about an overnight stay in Asia. And it isn't a nightmare, it's restful and relaxing. 

4 minutes ago, Korimako said:

This is absolutely not true at all. If flying via Singapore to Europe - as the OP seems to indicate judging from the timings mentioned - there is no need whatsoever to leave the airport. The Ambassador Hotel  http://www.harilelahospitality.com is within the airport terminal. You do not go through Immigration as you are not entering the country. Baggage is NOT collected as you are still airside. We use this every time we fly from NZ to Europe, which we do on a regular basis. And we choose daytime flights.

This is not what "I think" about an overnight stay in Asia, it's what I know about an overnight stay in Asia. And it isn't a nightmare, it's restful and relaxing. 

What other airports have a hotel that is truly air-side, meaning NOT going through Security/Customs/Immigration.. really not different from a restaurant that is right there in the gate area, but... a bit bigger... 🙂

GC