Is drink package worth it if.....

metsgiants

I drink about 5 martinis a day but my wife does not drink any alcohol. She just drinks the free water from the buffet area and dining room . I would have to buy the drink package because we usually do the kids sail free promo. Would it be cheaper to pay for the martinis each day or get the package for both of us even if she don’t drink . Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you alone drink $400 or more in alcohol for the length of the cruise, drink package is worth it. I think yours would work out around $455 depending on the type of alcohol. It's hard to say about kids sail free promo. What does it save you? If it's more than the $400 than do that one.

26 minutes ago, metsgiants said:

I drink about 5 martinis a day but my wife does not drink any alcohol. She just drinks the free water from the buffet area and dining room . I would have to buy the drink package because we usually do the kids sail free promo. Would it be cheaper to pay for the martinis each day or get the package for both of us even if she don’t drink . Thanks in advance

You could just have added this info to your other drink package thread ......... Just pay as you go if your wife doesn't drink.

Edited by tallnthensome

The OP seems to be referring to purchasing the UBP, not getting it as a promo.

If that is the case then it isn’t even close to being worth it.

If you will have to drop another promo in order to get the UBP then you will need to add the savings from that promo to the gratuity paid on the package to decide how much the UBP would effectively cost as a promo. My guess is that 5 drinks a

day wouldn’t be worth it, and you may as well pay for the drinks as you go.

• Like 1

The OP seems to be referring to purchasing the UBP, not getting it as a promo.

If that is the case then it isn’t even close to being worth it.

If you will have to drop another promo in order to get the UBP then you will need to add the savings from that promo to the gratuity paid on the package to decide how much the UBP would effectively cost as a promo. My guess is that 5 drinks a
day wouldn’t be worth it, and you may as well pay for the drinks as you go.

Yea that’s what I meant. I would have to purchase the package . We always use the kids sail free promotion.

If you do not select UBP as promo, you'll have to buy UBP for yourself AND your wife and possibly the soda package for your kids. I don't think you'll be allowed to buy just one UBP. All ppl in cabin need to purchase some sort of drink packages.

I would select the UBP and kids sail free as the two promos. The dining packages (SDP) are inexpensive to buy and you can do so for all ppl in cabin.

Plus, the martinis are expensive now … 5 x $15 plus 20% x 7 days = $630 - for one person. The grats for the free UBP promo = $277.20 for BOTH you and your wife.

The UBP to buy = $99 x 7 plus 20% = $831.60 per person - you'll need to buy 2.

Edited by bluesea777

16 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

The drink package is NEVER worth it at retail.

It’s only there to make you think you got a good deal on the “free” UBP.

If you drink $100 per day, you should be paying for a detox program instead of a cruise!

LOL...judge much?  Pretty easy to hit $100 on NCL....

That said, I've yet to hear from anyone who actually paid the full retail...I'm sure it happens..but it has to be rare.  I could see a 3rd in a cabin, who couldn't get the perk, splitting it with the other 2 to even out the drink costs.  

On 3/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, metsgiants said:

If you are paying full price for the drink package it is not worth it since you have to buy it for two. The math simply does not work out. (5 drinks per day at $15 per drink x & days = $520) The drink package will cost almost double that.

11 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Nice, but you would have to adjust the prices per drink to NCL prices because some of them are too low.

Yuuup..... I guess users can just update the prices to their drink of choice... Or there might be a NCL spreadsheet out there...

i was on a cruise in 2016 first sea day captain told us at meet and greet that 75% of the ship had the UBP.  First two days the bars were packed , by the third day they were quiet for the rest of the cruise point being its tough for the average person to drink 7 straight days in a row responsible enough not to get hammered and sick but to make it worth it. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, metsgiants said:

5 martinis a day?  You are my kind of people!!!  I can do 5 martinis before lunch!!!! (although I would have to take an afternoon nap and might possibly sleep through dinner!)  I've never cruised on NCL before, but the UBP on other lines were always worth it.  Bon Voyage!!!!!

Elvis

14 hours ago, shout19661966 said:

i was on a cruise in 2016 first sea day captain told us at meet and greet that 75% of the ship had the UBP.  First two days the bars were packed , by the third day they were quiet for the rest of the cruise point being its tough for the average person to drink 7 straight days in a row responsible enough not to get hammered and sick but to make it worth it. 

There are many "average people " out there. Just as alcohol affects all of us differently. With the UBP you only need to drink 4-5 drinks a day to get your monies worth.

Being most pax spend 10 hours or more ON the ship , averaging 1 drink every 2 hours isn't over-indulging/getting hammered.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:08 AM, ClevelandCruisin said:

Just figure 5 martinis times lets say $12 =60 right there ($420 for a seven day cruise)

The drink package would cost more. Plus you have to buy for 2 people. 

Where did I say that those 5 martinis are going to be the only drink I have? 

Elvis

8 minutes ago, Elvis1209 said:

Where did I say that those 5 martinis are going to be the only drink I have? 

Elvis

This had nothing to do with your comment. 

Hence it was to the OP...

I drink about 5 martinis a day but my wife doesnot drink any alcohol. She just drinks the freewater from the buffet area and dining room . Iwould have to buy the drink package becausewe usually do the kids sail free promo. 

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

If you BUY the drink package for both of you and only one drinks then look at drinking 16 drinks a day to cut even.  Then allow $5000 for the detox!!

Ok if he drinks 5 Martini's to break even and had to drink his DW's 5 for the package to pay for itself, that's 10. 

33% + Less than 16.  Alcohol affects EVERYONE different. "Then allow $5000 for the detox" , seriously? You are doing this while on vacation. Many , many pax drinking habits are different than everyday life.

If a guy walks onto a cruise ship and drinks 5 martinis a day at a cost of $X per martini on a YDay Cruise, but his wife doesn't drink anything, and a UBP costs $Z, should he buy 2 UBPs?

Come on people - basic SAT stuff here.  Or are we all caught up in the SAT scandal?  :)

Edited by Stealthdog

1 hour ago, Stealthdog said:

If a guy walks onto a cruise ship and drinks 5 martinis a day at a cost of $X per martini on a YDay Cruise, but his wife doesn't drink anything, and a UBP costs $Z, should he buy 2 UBPs?

Come on people - basic SAT stuff here.  Or are we all caught up in the SAT scandal?  🙂

Can I pay you to solve this for me??! 😉😎🤓