Recommend some drinks to me!

Cyn874

This is probably an unusual request, but it might be kind of fun, so here goes. 🙂

As I've gotten older, I notice that I'm not as much into the fruity/sweet drinks like I used to be. I'll be cruising very soon, in just under a month, and this seems like a great time to explore some new drinks. I'm pretty adventurous, so I'm pretty much up for trying anything you all think is good. I do like Bloody Mary's, and so far that's the only non-sweet drink I've really tried. I don't even know the names of any other drinks to order, which is why I'm asking around here. 

What are some of your favorites? 🍸

Talisker. 10 year old Scotch. (Yes, I know it's not 12 year old.) Smoky, Peaty. My wife hates the smell. I love the stuff. I tend to drink either Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, or Irish straight up. Other than that I love the Chairman of the Board martini and the 24K Margarita - NOT frozen. I like the 24K Margarita served in a rocks glass. I hate those stupid Margarita glasses.

Chairman of the Board

3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained

I only drink this with a twist. I got served with olives once and actually tried it YUK! It's not a "regular" martini that works with olives. Olives absolutely ruin this drink. (In my opinion of course. YMMV)

I don't have the exact mix for the 24K Margarita but it has Cuervo 1800, Cointreau, Margarita Mix , and a float of Grand Marnier on top.  I think its about 1.5 ounces of Cuervo 1800, 3/4 ounce of Cointreau,  anybody's guess how much Margarita Mix, and about half an ounce of Grand Marnier. Those measurements are a total guess. Again, I like it blended - not frozen - and served in a rocks glass. I think that is my favorite drink. Of course it is also about the most expensive mixed drink they offer at $9.75. With the "old gratuity of 15%" it was $11.21. With the new 18% gratuity it will be $11.51. Poop. I freaking love this drink. (I don't particularly care for it when mixed as a frozen drink - only when simply blended, and again, only in a rocks glass. Yep, I'm picky about my drinks!)

1800 tequila, Cointreau

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyn874 said:

This is probably an unusual request, but it might be kind of fun, so here goes. 🙂

As I've gotten older, I notice that I'm not as much into the fruity/sweet drinks like I used to be. I'll be cruising very soon, in just under a month, and this seems like a great time to explore some new drinks. I'm pretty adventurous, so I'm pretty much up for trying anything you all think is good. I do like Bloody Mary's, and so far that's the only non-sweet drink I've really tried. I don't even know the names of any other drinks to order, which is why I'm asking around here. 

What are some of your favorites? 🍸

We are on the same upcoming cruise on the Ruby and I was looking for some drink ideas too so I'm glad you posted this question.  I really like cosmopolitans 🙂

I came across this one in December in Crooners on the Grand. It was called the Rossini (?sp).  They coated the inside of a champagne glass with raspberrry syrup, put some Chambord raspberry liquerur in the bottom and then filled the rest of the glass with champagne.  YUM! 

• Like 1

image.png.29631c490d381b8690508e46c083255f.png

While they don't have this listed on printed menus anymore (we still order it frequently by this name), it is favorite drink that is unique to Princess Cruises.  It's served with or without ice.  It's basically a shot or so of apple schnapps served with a can of Strongbow Cider that you mix together as you drink.  We love it. 

Edited by dweidensaul

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Talisker. 10 year old Scotch. (Yes, I know it's not 12 year old.) Smoky, Peaty. My wife hates the smell. I love the stuff.

Thrak - why not go straight to cough mixture - much less expensive 🙂

my wife likes the 'Dunes' martini in Crooners - made with Rum ...

30 mls Midori

20 mls Malibu

20 mls Banana Liquer

30 mls Lemon juice (also nice with lime juice)

30 mls Pineapple juice.

Crushed ice.

Shake well and enjoy

Edited by voljeep
added recipe

Just off the Coral 10 days ago and the first time with the beverage package, so we tasted a lot! Our favorite was the Beverly Hills Iced Tea, it was like a very boozy sparkling lemonade! It's made with I think 5 different liquors, fresh squeezed lemon juice and topped with champagne! Also, enjoyed the Chairman of the Board and the 24K Margarita, not frozen!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marden1970 said:

I came across this one in December in Crooners on the Grand. It was called the Rossini (?sp).  They coated the inside of a champagne glass with raspberrry syrup, put some Chambord raspberry liquerur in the bottom and then filled the rest of the glass with champagne.  YUM! 

OMG!!!  I hope they have this on the Grand!

Just off the Emerald and I found a new drink that I had a few times in Adagio. It's the Dark and Stormy. Made with dark rum and ginger beer, garnished with a lime. I am not a big rum drinker (I like my Grey Goose martinis), but this drink was very refreshing!

• Like 1

There are a lot of great suggestions here, and a lot of drinks I haven't heard of. I'm looking forward to trying a Dark and Stormy, and a Floradora, those two sound really good.  Thank you everyone! And keep the suggestions coming, this is a fun thread and a lot of these drinks might not necessarily be on any menus, so it's nice to refer to.

I actually find Margaritas too sweet for me. It helps a little if I get them on the rocks- frozen margaritas always seem unbearably sweet and I completely avoid them now. 

On 3/12/2019 at 4:57 PM, nukesubsailor said:

Vodka Gimlet   made with Grey Goose vodka and Rose's lime juice.

Fireball whiskey on the rocks.

I just realized that is two separate drinks ! Had me thinking for a while 🙂

I know this is a sweet drink, so you probably wouldn't be interested, but I couldn't get enough of them on my Caribbean Princess cruise in February: Sailing Through Orchards at Crooners. And, if anyone knows what's in it, I would very much appreciate hearing back! It's a pear liqueur, elder flower and vodka (I think) concoction that was wonderful. If anyone's got a picture of the menu page, I'd love to see it!

On 3/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, Thrak said:

My wife loves the Lemon Drop Martini. She says it's "slightly sweet" but also "lemony". I haven't tried one.

My favorite as well.  Thanks to our Travel Agent🍸 for the introduction to Lemon Drops.

Try the Blue Ocean cocktail...had it last year on sail-a-way and ordered it all 15 days on the cruise.

This beautiful blue vodka cocktail mixes up blue curacao, simple syrup, orange juice, and orange slices. 1. In a shaking glass with ice, combine 1 jigger vodka, 1 jigger blue curaçao, simple syrup, and orange juice. Shake well.