tipping

paperposter

1 hour ago, paperposter said:

how much if you do tip the guy/ gal who  cleans your room daily at the end of the trip 7 day cruise extra thanks .ps just a regular room solo travler

If you are paying the Daily Service Charge (DSC) that is automatically charged by the cruise line, then you do not need to give any additional tip to your cabin steward.  They are included in the DSC program.  If you do wish to tip something additional because their work impressed you, then you might give them something additional.  Sometimes, I give them $10 or $20 for the week.  But that is my personal amount.  Others may differ.  Sometimes I give no additional tip if I feel the service was average.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

3 hours ago, paperposter said:

how much if you do tip the guy/ gal who  cleans your room daily at the end of the trip 7 day cruise extra thanks .ps just a regular room solo traveler

If someone asks, I always recommend $5-$10 per person in the room per days of cruise as something extra above the Daily Service Charge, for working from early morning to late at night servicing your room twice a day. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If someone asks, I always recommend $5-$10 per person in the room per days of cruise as something extra above the Daily Service Charge, for working from early morning to late at night servicing your room twice a day. 

I'm in the $5 pp / per day zone as well and often I leave it daily or every couple of days like I would in a land hotel.

I would say that if you left a $20 tip for your steward for a 7-day cruise ( about $3 per day) you will be an above average tipper. Remember, lots of people only tip the steward via the DSC. $5 per person per day would get you into the top 10% or so of cruisers and if you tipped $10 per day per person, you would probably be a 1%er. 

Please note that I have not conducted a scientific study on this topic on any of my cruises. I was just too busy having fun.

10 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

The DSC you pay covers your cabin attendant and the waitstaff for all meals.  No further tip is required or expected.

This. I’ve never felt the need to ‘grease’ anyone on a cruise ship and have been perfectly happy with the service I have received. If I ask for or receive extra services throughout the cruise I might leave a little extra. But certainly not $5 pp pd. The DSC covers what is expected, anything else is gravy.

12 hours ago, paperposter said:

how much if you do tip the guy/ gal who  cleans your room daily at the end of the trip 7 day cruise extra thanks .ps just a regular room solo travler

When I am solo in a cabin, I tip extra besides the standard per-person daily service charge, knowing that the steward will get half the usual amount with only one person in the cabin.   I figure it takes him or her about the same amount of time and effort to clean the bathroom or vacuum, for example, whether there are one or two passengers in the cabin.   So I add maybe about half the per-person amount to my own daily service charge.  Not necessary, I realize, and others may feel differently.  But it's what I do.  

We always tip our steward extra -- the amount depends on the service we received and asked of him. I think this year we tipped our steward $80 -- but we were in a suite, so he had two bathrooms/bedrooms to clean. He also did a great job of reading our notes and not throwing away any snacks we wanted saved!

We've tipped as little as $20 and as much as $100 -- it all depends on the service -- not just how they clean our cabin, but how friendly they are in the hallways. We've had several (including this year's) who would see us and then walk with us to our cabin and unlock our door for us. We think that is above and beyond and they should get something extra for it.

14 hours ago, paperposter said:

We tend to tip an additional $25 - $50 for the week depending how  friendly and if we ask them for a lot of little things.  We have never had a bad steward in 10 cruises. I know it is what the steward is suppose to do is your room twice a day, but we feel this is a very special treat to be picked up after for seven days.  They work very hard and very long hours.  

2 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

When I am solo in a cabin, I tip extra besides the standard per-person daily service charge, knowing that the steward will get half the usual amount with only one person in the cabin.   I figure it takes him or her about the same amount of time and effort to clean the bathroom or vacuum, for example, whether there are one or two passengers in the cabin.   So I add maybe about half the per-person amount to my own daily service charge.  Not necessary, I realize, and others may feel differently.  But it's what I do.  

Thank you for posting this.  I am on my first solo in May. 

I have several specific requests at the beginning of the cruise -- extra ice, bed making requests, empty refrigerator etc.  I tip $20 at that time.  During the cruise I will give him $10 2 or 3 times for good service.

For my upcoming 15 day cruise our service charges add up to 1.072.50.  That is room grats for our outside cabin and bar grats plus extra fees for the specialty restaurants for the grats.  I don't drink that much, so the average tip per drink for me comes out to about 5-10  bucks or so per drink.  (I only drink about 2-4 a day  on a shorter vacation, and some days I won't drink at all since it is a longer cruise).   I used to add more but after adding up how much my gratuities/service charges are, I will not be adding any more to my cruise.  We don't have any ongoing special requests of the steward  and our room is easy to clean as we are neat. Almost 1100.00 for service charges seems enough for me.  Comes out to   71.50 per day in tips for two of us times 15 days.  Oh, and grats are going up April 1st on NCL, so it will be more after that date.

• Like 1