staff picked up towels on Liberty 😎

The issue seems to be not with people stealing them on the ship, but taking them off the ship in port and not carrying them back to the ship.

We have never had an issue with a "missing" towel charge.   Hmm. 🙂

4 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

That's why if you actually wanted to take one, it wouldn't be too hard but rarely am I looking to bring home additional items to pack - now if they suddenly have the most absorbent towels that are soft and dry quickly, heck I'll buy one 🙂

I think the loss of towels came primarily from guests who took them off the ship and left them at whatever beach they were visiting, not from people taking them home.

• Like 1

Does anybody bring their own towels from home?  I have thought about it.  Mostly because with two kids I am very worried that they are going to forget where they put their towels.  I don't mind losing a $5 towel when compared to a $25 USD towel.

5 minutes ago, fscool said:

Does anybody bring their own towels from home?  I have thought about it.  Mostly because with two kids I am very worried that they are going to forget where they put their towels.  I don't mind losing a $5 towel when compared to a $25 USD towel.

Too much trouble to clean and dry on the ship. 

33 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I think the loss of towels came primarily from guests who took them off the ship and left them at whatever beach they were visiting, not from people taking them home.

Yep.  Have been the last to leave many beaches and seen Royal towels lying around from time to time.  Can't imagine stealing them, they are not that nice where I'd want one at home.  

Edited by twangster

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yep.  Have been the last to leave many beaches and seen Royal towels lying around from time to time.  Can't imagine stealing them, they are not that nice where I'd want one at home.  

Royal should give us $10 of the $25 the passenger pays to drag them back to the ship.😎

Like a deposit bottle.

To be honest (or dishonest)....there are always unreturned towels laying around the pool deck at 5pm to bring to the station to cover your missing towel deposit.

Edited by Beachammo
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

To be honest (or dishonest)....there are always unreturned towels laying around the pool deck at 5pm to bring to the station to cover your missing towel deposit.

I think they would still be making towel charging "mistakes". 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, kag19 said:

I hear what you are saying for sure.  RCI is getting money for towels they already purchased.  Maybe they use the fees to buy more? :) I really liked the towel process on Celebrity.  Just get towels as you need them and put them in the dirty towel bin when done, no sea pass involved and no charges.  And honestly, no one wants to steal those crappy towels.

I like the same process on Princess. But Princess has crappy towels, whereas I think RCI has better ones. I'll refresh my memory in about 11 days. :)

1 hour ago, fscool said:

not really. We travel with a kid, but I am the responsible one counting all the towels and making sure we didn't forget anything anywhere...

37 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I think they would still be making towel charging "mistakes". 

Yup, a bit like the mini bar 'mistakes' which only ever seemed to occur on the last night 🙄

Not trying to hijack the thread but have a quick towel-related question...

We're booked for our first RCCI cruise and wondered if anyone uses those clips for holding towels on deck chairs? I've never had them, but have seen them and sometimes wished I had some.  Thanks!

I can see having a charge for towels not returned on cruises that visit islands where there are beaches to use them.  Will be taking a TA soon.  No chance to take towels off the ship.  No need for a charge as the towels will remain on the ship.

1 minute ago, hancock said:

I can see having a charge for towels not returned on cruises that visit islands where there are beaches to use them.  Will be taking a TA soon.  No chance to take towels off the ship.  No need for a charge as the towels will remain on the ship.

But then they wouldn't make any money off of erroneously charging people for towels! :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Beachammo said:

There are always a bunch around the pool

deck at 6AM as well, that’s when I get my replacements for the ones the kids lose. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This thread reads like a bunch of whining old ladies who have nothing better to do than sit around and complain about others....

How sad.

You might want to stop reading it then.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

We're booked for our first RCCI cruise and wondered if anyone uses those clips for holding towels on deck chairs? I've never had them, but have seen them and sometimes wished I had some.  Thanks!

We never have but our last cruise which was about a month ago on the Brilliance, we saw lots of people with them.  It got me to thinking that it was a really good idea and I may have to buy them before our next cruise.  Lots of times its windy by the pool and those clips would be a big help.

2 minutes ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

We never have but our last cruise which was about a month ago on the Brilliance, we saw lots of people with them.  It got me to thinking that it was a really good idea and I may have to buy them before our next cruise.  Lots of times its windy by the pool and those clips would be a big help.

Yea, same here. I found bunch on Amazon. I'll probably order some before our next cruise. Thanks for your reply.

I also think it's great that the cruise line is cracking down on chair hogs. But I'll have to agree with those who prefer the policies of cruise lines like Princess who lets people take/return towels at will with no passenger inventory. We're still looking forward to checking out RCCI and Harmony of the Seas.

Several years ago I came across some at the Dollar Tree.  Big plastic clothes pins.  Work very well. You get six in a pack for $1.

• Like 1

We brought them last week.  Used them at beach excursions as well as the pool. 

And great to use to hang wet suits on balcony chairs to dry faster. 

2 hours ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

They work great, especially on windy days.  We keep a bunch of them in our beach bag all the time.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, kag19 said:
On 3/20/2019 at 1:07 PM, ShillyShally said:

Yikes, there are signs at towel check out and this also isn't new but who all reads them or can read them as they aren't in every language?  My only hesitation on fully supporting this charge is RCCL still has the towels, the passenger doesn't (assuming) - then I have some issues with them charging the per towel fee but I'm not sure how else they could do it either!

I hear what you are saying for sure.  RCI is getting money for towels they already purchased.  Maybe they use the fees to buy more? 🙂

Don't think of it as a $25 fee to replace a towel that is not lost.

Think of it as a "service fee" to have a crew member pick up after you.  😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I left 3 towels on the Grand Cayman tender. It was the last tender back. I realized as soon as I pass thru security.  As I was checked in and the tender was about to go back, they did not let me go back on the tender. The officer in charge did a real quick walk thru but did not see it. It was dark and the tender was ready to push off.  He advised that I should go to GS and tell them my story.

Long story short,  GS said they would check with the tender company (?) and if not found, they would have to charge me $75.

I was never charged. I guess they were found on the tender when it returned to Grand Cayman.