staff picked up towels on Liberty 😎

14 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I did. I only read the first few posts.  And it sounded like a bunch of miserable old ladies.  I challenge you to read it again and tell me I'm wrong....

Are you a closet chair hog?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Are you a closet chair hog?

**** No!  But I'm not also obsessed with the potential misbehavior of others!  I have been on probably thirty cruises and NEVER had an issue with "chair hogs".  I go out on deck and we find chairs.  In the rare instance we can't, we ask one of the crew members and they immediately secure chairs for us.

It's small minded people who obsess over the perceived misbehavior of others.

58 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

It's small minded people who feel the need to chastise others in a public forum intended for discussion like this.  Don't like, don't read it.  Simple.

And yes...I did just chastise you. 😏

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 7

Usually, it’s just me and my DH cruising.  And, while I struggle to get good chairs with a view, in the Solarium, I usually can find 2.

On our next trip on Oasis, there might be 4 of us.  My question is... has anyone asked the guys in the Solarium to clear 4 spots that are taken up by chair hogs, and had them refuse?  I’d be embarrassed if I did this and was declined...

It sounds like chair hogging at all inclusives is the norm 😞. My friend has only done all inclusives, and when we were talking about our group cruise next year, she commented- whoever wakes up first will have to go put our towels on the good chairs to hold them.  And I was like “No! No!  You are not supposed to do that on the cruise!  There are signs that say don’t do it, and I HATE the people that do!”

Edited by vacationlover_mn

15 hours ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but have a quick towel-related question...

We're booked for our first RCCI cruise and wondered if anyone uses those clips for holding towels on deck chairs? I've never had them, but have seen them and sometimes wished I had some.  Thanks!

Yes, and they work well in keeping the towel from moving and flopping/flapping around.

11 hours ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Those are cool. I saw some parrot clips and some Nemo clips. I liked the Nemo ones but they're ridiculously overpriced to show off my child-who-refuses-to-grow-up side. Now if I found some Minion ones, I'd probably buy those, LOL.

We ended up two sets of Nemo/Clown fish ones. Would be willing to trade. 😄

7 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

**** No!  But I'm not also obsessed with the potential misbehavior of others!  I have been on probably thirty cruises and NEVER had an issue with "chair hogs".  I go out on deck and we find chairs.  In the rare instance we can't, we ask one of the crew members and they immediately secure chairs for us.

I do agree, I've rarely been a victim of chair hogs myself.  But that's because I'm not picky where I sit. In fact, I prefer to be away from the usual congested areas (pool/bar/hot tub) so I hardly have an issue with not finding a chair. And being a late riser actually works to my advantage as the early birds are usually vacating their chairs about the time I stroll around...at most I might need to make a lap or two around the deck overlooking the pool before finding something. And if a better spot opens up later, I'm not shy about relocating.

However, I'm not sure I'd use the word "small-minded" to those that do get shutout of their preferred spot due to chair hogs. We all have our petty grievances, whether it is what/how/when others tip, how people dress on formal nights, etc....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HBE4 said:

However, I'm not sure I'd use the word "small-minded" to those that do get shutout of their preferred spot due to chair hogs. We all have our petty grievances, whether it is what/how/when others tip, how people dress on formal nights, etc....

To me the "small minded" part is the need to watch and comment about it here, when it didn't affect the person at all.  It's always "we were in our chairs at the pool, and we saw someone reserve six chairs poolside and leave for two hours".  And I'm like, Who Cares?  You were in your chair at the pool!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

To me the "small minded" part is the need to watch and comment about it here, when it didn't affect the person at all.  It's always "we were in our chairs at the pool, and we saw someone reserve six chairs poolside and leave for two hours".  And I'm like, Who Cares?  You were in your chair at the pool!

I'm sorry, but for me, you perfectly demonstrated what "What Small Minded" means to me.  Someone who thinks of themselves only.  As long as they are comfortable "Who cares" what happens to others.  Being on vacation is not an excuse to not be considerate and compassionate.  I do care when I see the selfish actions of some inconsiderate people affect the well being of others.  Sorry I guess I'm just small minded like that.  Perhaps that is not what you intended to say in your post but that is how I read it.

dp

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Perhaps posting about it here will make a potential chair hog reconsider. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Leisure, 

I’m the OP.  Like you, we wander around and find open loungers, and don’t demand them next to each other.  Most times we split up in different areas. In this case we had 2 loungers (for 6 people. we double up or more, and take turns while others in the group are in pool).   

You are mistaken about “the need to watch”, when it happens directly at the seats in front of you.  It just happened out of the blue,.   My first thought was , Wow, I’ve never experienced this before.  My 2nd thought was, Wow, some people are going to have unknown towel charges.  

i respect your right to post and comment. Can’t you respectfully allow the same to me?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but have a quick towel-related question...

We're booked for our first RCCI cruise and wondered if anyone uses those clips for holding towels on deck chairs? I've never had them, but have seen them and sometimes wished I had some.  Thanks!

I purchased some after struggling with flopping towels on all of our cruises.  They were $7 a pair and well worth every penny, not only do they hold the towel in place, they also make it easy to spot your chairs when you walk away for a few minutes.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:54 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

I did. I only read the first few posts.  And it sounded like a bunch of miserable old ladies.  I challenge you to read it again and tell me I'm wrong....

And yet.......

On 3/23/2019 at 6:59 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

Leisuretraveler223

I do kinda get what you are saying and semi-agree with you. I think we all can agree that chair-hogs are rude and selfish. And while I haven't seen it on this thread, on other chair hog threads I've seen some people anoint themselves the Chair-Hog-Police (ChiP's) who will identify a chair as belonging to a hog based on a neatly folded towel and unopened book and remove the items to take the chair for themselves.

What I wonder, do these ChiP's stand in front of the chair ,staring at it for 30 minutes to confirm no one is using it, before removing the items and taking it for themselves? B/C that can fall into the small-minded category. Who's got time for that?? Whether the really do that in real life or maybe they are just flexing their CC Internet muscles??

Plus, sometimes I will put my neatly folder towel & book on a chair, go to the bathroom, then get a drink at the pool bar before heading back, a route that sometimes can take a good 20 minutes. I'd hope  that no one will take my chair...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HBE4 said:

What I wonder, do these ChiP's stand in front of the chair ,staring at it for 30 minutes to confirm no one is using it, before removing the items and taking it for themselves? B/C that can fall into the small-minded category. Who's got time for that?? Whether the really do that in real life or maybe they are just flexing their CC Internet muscles??

So, I am a stereotypical Minnesotan, which means: 1) I crave sun and an ocean view in the winter and 2) I am MN nice and hate confrontation.

I love the ocean view, in the sun, especially in the Solarium.  If I see great seats with just towels, I do one of 2 things.  If people are next to the chairs, I ask- has anyone sat here in an hour?  Or, I pick another seat and relax while seeing if anyone comes back in an hour.  If not, I place the towel under the chair and sit there. NEVER has anyone came back and said “hey, you are in my chair”, and I usually sit there for an hour or two...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

So, I am a stereotypical Minnesotan, which means: 1) I crave sun and an ocean view in the winter and 2) I am MN nice and hate confrontation.

I love the ocean view, in the sun, especially in the Solarium.  If I see great seats with just towels, I do one of 2 things.  If people are next to the chairs, I ask- has anyone sat here in an hour?  Or, I pick another seat and relax while seeing if anyone comes back in an hour.  If not, I place the towel under the chair and sit there. NEVER has anyone came back and said “hey, you are in my chair”, and I usually sit there for an hour or two...

Sounds like you found the perfect way to handle the situation. Kudo's to you. 👍

If there were no other personal items around, I wonder if the people just left the towels behind vs reserving the chair.  Which makes me wonder if they will get charged for the towel at all since Royal still has it.

But either way, I like your style and perhaps I will do the same on future cruises.

Edited by HBE4

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Sounds like you found the perfect way to handle the situation. Kudo's to you. 👍

If there were no other personal items around, I wonder if the people just left the towels behind vs reserving the chair.  Which makes me wonder if they will get charged for the towel at all since Royal still has it.

But either way, I like your style and perhaps I will do the same on future cruises.

Lol- I wish I wasn’t so “passive aggressive “ but that is how I am 😉