Pinnacle menu question

missdaisy

For anyone who has ordered King crab legs in the Pinnacle, please share your experience. Yah or nay?  (Tracey’s Crab Shack in Juneau set the bar high for me.) There are so many menu choices that are calling my name!

1 hour ago, missdaisy said:

For anyone who has ordered King crab legs in the Pinnacle, please share your experience. Yah or nay?  (Tracey’s Crab Shack in Juneau set the bar high for me.) There are so many menu choices that are calling my name!

Overall, pretty good.  I’ve had one serving that was not but the rest have been quite edible.

It’s a pretty simple presentation (as it should be).  But, remember, they aren’t fresh, they are frozen but still decent.

I had the king crab legs while on the K'dm earlier this month, while they were very good, I think I may have enjoyed one of the steak options more.  AND no more volcano cake on the menu, that was the biggest disappointment.

Edited by doone

Had the crab legs on Westerdam a couple years ago. Soooo disappointing. They appeared to be simmered in some kind of broth and were waterlogged and tasteless. IMO, stick with what the PG is known for - steak.

• Like 1

On the K-Dam this past July, the cream let's were terrible. Smaller than expected, dry, and difficult to get out of the shells perhaps because they were overcooked. This was in Norway, do I don't know if that matters for provisioning purposes. If I were to go again, I don't think I'd order them. 

I ordered crab legs on the Eurodam Nov. 29th 2018 Sea of Cortez sailing and they were terrible!  They were dry and had an unpleasant fishy taste/odor.  Never again!  The waiter offered to bring me another entree, but the whole Pinnacle  experience was bad, with very noisy diners around us who ruined the experience (it was one of our 5* perks) all we wanted to do was get out of the restaurant.  I had very good crab legs on the Crab Feast excursion in Ketchikan, Alaska.  As always, the Pinnacle Crab Cakes were outstanding!

Karen

6 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

The crab at Tracy's Crab Shack is also frozen.

All king crab gets frozen..... It wont keep.       Don't bad mouth frozen fish... fish frozen right after catch and bleed well tast as good as fresh.  for months .     Do not be put off.

11 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I ordered crab legs on the Eurodam Nov. 29th 2018 Sea of Cortez sailing and they were terrible!  They were dry and had an unpleasant fishy taste/odor.  Never again!  The waiter offered to bring me another entree, but the whole Pinnacle  experience was bad, with very noisy diners around us who ruined the experience (it was one of our 5* perks) all we wanted to do was get out of the restaurant.  I had very good crab legs on the Crab Feast excursion in Ketchikan, Alaska.  As always, the Pinnacle Crab Cakes were outstanding!

Karen

A lot of Russian  King crab is flooding the market today.... DA

3 hours ago, lstrong said:

The pinnacle filet was very good but the ribeye was thin and fatty and would never order that again. Any opinions on the salmon and/or halibut?

I have had the halibut twice in the Pinnacle and once in Sel de Mer.   It was great all three times.  In fact, I had it in the MDR and it was great there as well.  

I ordered the crab legs on NA and I agree with some of the others.   I've had way better crab legs.  They were dry/overcooked and not as big/thick as I had hoped.

I paid extra for the Maine Lobster and it was amazing.....Not New England amazing, but much better than the MDR or the small 5 oz versions.

If you like lamb, the chops were delicious and I highly recommend.

Pics:  Lobster, lamb chops, bite of lamb chop and scallops (new menu)

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_9207.JPG

IMG_9120.JPG

image1.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lstrong said:

The pinnacle filet was very good but the ribeye was thin and fatty and would never order that again. Any opinions on the salmon and/or halibut?

I just had the halibut in the Pinnacle Grill a few nights ago aboard the Eurodam, and it was excellent.  

The Pinnacle menu has changed since last summer with quite a few new and changed options, the halibut being one of them.  No more cedar-planked halibut with shrimp scampi; this was baked with a panko topping -- still excellent, just different.  Also no more Pinnacle Souffle -- they now have a chocolate souffle which is very good, but I miss the original.

Lana (currently en route to Nuku Hiva...)

I forget the exact name of the PG's seafood stew, but it is delicious.  The Pork Chops were surprisingly very good:  properly cooked, moist with excellent flavor.  I'm done ordering the steaks in the PG as long as the Double R Ranch is the beef supplier.  As the elderly lady on the old commercial for Wendy's would say, "Where's the beef?",  I'd add the word "flavor" to that question. 

50 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I just had the halibut in the Pinnacle Grill a few nights ago aboard the Eurodam, and it was excellent.  

The Pinnacle menu has changed since last summer with quite a few new and changed options, the halibut being one of them.  No more cedar-planked halibut with shrimp scampi; this was baked with a panko topping -- still excellent, just different.  Also no more Pinnacle Souffle -- they now have a chocolate souffle which is very good, but I miss the original.

Lana (currently en route to Nuku Hiva...)

Hi Lana,

You've had lovely weather on this cruise!  Have quite a few Pinnacle lunches been offered on this cruise?  We are on the 51 day Tales of the South Pacific later this year, and I am hoping for many lunches at the Pinnacle Grill.    Thank you!

Just now, FlorenceItaly said:

Hi Lana,

You've had lovely weather on this cruise!  Have quite a few Pinnacle lunches been offered on this cruise?  We are on the 51 day Tales of the South Pacific later this year, and I am hoping for many lunches at the Pinnacle Grill.    Thank you!

I believe Pinnacle lunch has been offered most sea days.  I know it’s on for today.  So if they continue that practice, you should have many opportunities for Pinnacle lunches.

Lana

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

All king crab gets frozen..... It wont keep.   

Not if you live in a crabbing community it doesn’t.

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Don't bad mouth frozen fish... fish frozen right after catch and bleed well tast as good as fresh.  for months .     Do not be put off.

I didn’t see the poster bad mouth frozen fish.  They simply stated a fact.

• Like 1