Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

5 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Yea there is a Costa ship in the area for sure - but if I remember right she was a bit south. I also noticed that Koningsdam was showing up in the satellite coverage area so my guess is that Holland America pays for this to be shown. I found a few others out in the middle of nowhere showing up as well - so either it was a lucky hit or someone paying someone OR they have an AIS receiver on board and are reporting their own (and whomever is nearby) position). Which makes more sense...

Every ship that has an AIS transmitter has an AIS receiver.  The main purpose of AIS is to provide ship information to other ships to display on radars, much like the "tags" that air traffic controllers use to identify aircraft using their transponder codes.  This saves a watch officer from calling "ship 1 mile on my port bow", and that ship having to realize they are the ship being called, and being called by the ship on their own port bow.  Now, the watch officer can call "SS Minnow, this is M/V Lucky Dog" and everyone knows who is calling whom and where they are.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Every ship that has an AIS transmitter has an AIS receiver.  The main purpose of AIS is to provide ship information to other ships to display on radars, much like the "tags" that air traffic controllers use to identify aircraft using their transponder codes.  This saves a watch officer from calling "ship 1 mile on my port bow", and that ship having to realize they are the ship being called, and being called by the ship on their own port bow.  Now, the watch officer can call "SS Minnow, this is M/V Lucky Dog" and everyone knows who is calling whom and where they are.

SS Minnow is marooned on Gilligan's Island! lol. I'm getting happier with every day that Oasis gets closer to Cadiz, and from all the other posts/pictures it seems that a lot is getting accomplished on the transit.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I actually live on a ship with AIS...my point was how it was reporting the data of other ships in the area. You can receive AIS of course - I can here too - the question is do I share that data? It seems that Koningsdam broadcasts the data she receives, but Oasis does not. 

Just now, DerekB said:

I actually live on a ship with AIS...my point was how it was reporting the data of other ships in the area. You can receive AIS of course - I can here too - the question is do I share that data? It seems that Koningsdam broadcasts the data she receives, but Oasis does not. 

Maybe Koningsdam is also broadcasting over the Internet?

12 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Ship's name is Royal Clipper. It's headed to Portugal. Found it on cruisemapper

Awesome thank you! That looks like an amazing ship to cross the Atlantic on! 

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

Maybe Koningsdam is also broadcasting over the Internet?

That's exactly what I am thinking. The AIS data I receive here is only known to me. I have offered to share it with Marinetraffic, however they have enough people in my area sharing data so they don't need it.

15 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Ship's name is Royal Clipper. It's headed to Portugal. Found it on cruisemapper

I wonder if she's crossing with passengers.  Does being on cruisemapper mean that it is.

Roy

9 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Beautiful! Reminds of the Windjammer cruise line. 😊

Here are the reviews and info

https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=141

Royal Clipper Overview

Royal Clipper is an ideal ship for people who aren't big on cruising, but adore sailing. Billed as the world's largest full-rigged sailing ship (it's got a Guinness World Records certificate to prove it), this five-masted beauty is a throwback to another era. Built in 2000, it's modeled on the Preussen, the largest and fastest deepwater sailing ship of its day. The freight-carrier set sail in 1902, but suffered an early demise eight years later, after a collision with a steamship left it broken on the cliffs of Dover.

24 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Here are the reviews and info

https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=141

Royal Clipper Overview

Royal Clipper is an ideal ship for people who aren't big on cruising, but adore sailing. Billed as the world's largest full-rigged sailing ship (it's got a Guinness World Records certificate to protve it), this five-masted beauty is a throwback to another era. Built in 2000, it's modeled on the Preussen, the largest and fastest deepwater sailing ship of its day. The freight-carrier set sail in 1902, but suffered an early demise eight years later, after a collision with a steamship left it broken on the cliffs of Dover.

Cruised on the Polynesia in the late 1980's; it was a fantastic trip. The ship was beautiful. Wish the cruiseline still existed.

Sorry for the OT post but it is fun to reminisce. 😊

1 minute ago, Cruisercl said:

Cruised on the Polynesia in the late 1980's; it was a fantastic trip. The ship was beautiful. Wish the cruiseline still existed.

Sorry for the OT post but it is fun to reminisce. 😊

I was on Moorea in 80 or 81 and a large sailing yahct came into Cooks Bay while I was up on the hill riding a moped around the island. Its still one of my "to-dos"

I just received the below for our upcoming Allure cruise Sunday .  Wonder how they will fix it, if they need the yard.

“As a precautionary measure to ensure your safety and comfort, we’ll reduce our speed, as a result of an unforeseen technical matter with one of our three ship’s propulsion pods.”

18 minutes ago, itsmeagain said:

Wonder how they will fix it, if they need the yard.

"Hello, US Navy?  Yeah, we REALLLY want to borrow one of your dry-docks.  Why?  They're the only ones our ship will fit in"

If Dock 2 is damaged bad enough and the only other option is a couple TA's with a week-long drydock in the middle, I wonder if Norfolk even an option...

8 hours ago, hallux said:

"Hello, US Navy?  Yeah, we REALLLY want to borrow one of your dry-docks.  Why?  They're the only ones our ship will fit in"

If Dock 2 is damaged bad enough and the only other option is a couple TA's with a week-long drydock in the middle, I wonder if Norfolk even an option...

Currently, the USS Kennedy is in the drydock under construction.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fsjosh said:

I have no idea what the cost would be, but Royal has to be considering what it would cost to build a true dry dock on this side of the atlantic. 

Well, to build a floating dock, you would have to go to one of the larger graving docks, not sure which in Europe would be capable, since the dock has to be larger than the largest ship to fit into it, but there are a couple in China, and then tow it across to wherever you intend to use it.  I'm not aware of a graving dock being built outside of Asia in the last 30-40 years, and while they do provide more flexibility (controlling depth of harbor is less, since the dock does not have to sink lower than the ship), but it also comes with environmental impacts that some countries don't want to deal with.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

I thought I had a "lol" in my post, oops.  Guess that's not an option though...

Knew it was tongue in cheek, just wanted to see if the dock was currently filled.  NNS also has contracts for two more Ford class carriers, so that dock won't be available in the near future.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

I just received the below for our upcoming Allure cruise Sunday .  Wonder how they will fix it, if they need the yard.

“As a precautionary measure to ensure your safety and comfort, we’ll reduce our speed, as a result of an unforeseen technical matter with one of our three ship’s propulsion pods.”

Maybe just doing this as a preventative measure to make sure there isn't an issue before Allure goes back across the pond for her next scheduled dry dock.