Celebrity Terrible Customer Service

ak1004

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I expect them not to lie about the cabin size, and then to honor what they promised. Yes, she should be able to sort it, but each time she calls them, she spends 30+ minutes on line.

I think your TA should have checked the Guest Booking & made sure you still had all your perks before they forwarded it to you.  They drop off on whim with their website.  We had a sililar thing but I periodically check the prices on our May cruise to Ireland/Iceland  & have had 3 prices reductions in the last year 1/2, did you check before final payment?  Our cruise after final payment has gone down again a fair bit.  We called Celebrity to see what they could do for us & were also upgraded to a C1 with a couple of perks added in. That’s why I deal directly with Celebrity.

Edited by If only

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Re Princess....I would be blazing if I had received a phone call wanting me to change my cruise date! I book early to ensure I have the room I want and that it will tie in with pre booked flights, hotels etc...

If not enough guests had been willing to accept Princess’s offer then guests were at risk of being ‘bumped’ of the cruise....How can that be good customer service? It just happened to suit you at the time. All cruise lines run on business margins, of course they will offer you the sun and moon if it suits them to do so!

I am quite sure that Celebrity, Princess and all other cruise lines have similar policies after final payment.

Sincere best wishes that you can put this behind you and enjoy your cruise.

We are not a fan of the overbooking, but it is very rare that anyone gets involuntarily bumped.  They just keep trying until they find a volunteer and the offers can be very generous.  Compare this to some other lines that will decide to charter a ship or book a large group and simply cancel lots of folks.

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fleckle said:

Of course no one person can be familiar with all cabin sizes and nuances of all cruise lines.  But different TAs who do high volume business with different cruise lines  can offer their passengers better deals on different cruises. 

That's why it pays to compare offers and not just automatically use the same TA every time for every cruise.

It also pays to check out the cruises and offers yourself and not rely exclusively on the word of any TA. 

Someone posted about being stuck with their original high cruise fare when prices dropped dramatically after the Caribbean hurricanes.  But those of us who bothered to check received some extremely nice upgrades on those cruises at no additional cost.

I do check the prices on a constant basis, along with my TA.

I'm in Canada. Maybe things are different in US? More competition? I had at least 3 agents in the last 15 years, I don't remember anyone offering me a different price than the official price on the cruise line website, or any extra perks. My current TA is working in a fairly large company.

10 minutes ago, If only said:

I think your TA should have checked the Guest Booking & made sure you still had all your perks before they forwarded it to you.  They drop off on whim with their website.  We had a sililar thing but I periodically check the prices on our May cruise to Ireland/Iceland  & have had 3 prices reductions in the last year 1/2, did you check before final payment?  Our cruise after final payment has gone down again a fair bit.  We called Celebrity to see what they could do for us & were also upgraded to a C1 with a couple of perks added in. That’s why I deal directly with Celebrity.

Yes, we checked prices before the final payment. They started to drop just few days after the final payment (as I mentioned several times).

The new booking with the new cabin was NOT sent to us or the TA as promised after the booking was changed (as I mentioned several times), so there was nothing to check, just to rely on Celebrity word.

I think it doesn't really matter if the agent calls or you call. It depends who is on the other end of call. Maybe on a day. Not sure. But I always let my agent deal with it. She is a professional and knows whom she should talk to.

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, we checked prices before the final payment. They started to drop just few days after the final payment (as I mentioned several times).

The new booking with the new cabin was NOT sent to us or the TA as promised after the booking was changed (as I mentioned several times), so there was nothing to check, just to rely on Celebrity word.

I think it doesn't really matter if the agent calls or you call. It depends who is on the other end of call. Maybe on a day. Not sure. But I always let my agent deal with it. She is a professional and knows whom she should talk to.

She should call back & get the perks reinstated, I would not leave it that way.

All their calls are recorded.    It’s their IT that is really bad & when changes are made perks seem to fall off if someone sneezes lol.  I just think your TA should have phoned back & gotten a copy before she gave you bad news that may be wrong.  We always used to use a TA but it got to the point it was just easier doing it ourselves & being pro active about each cruise.

Edited by If only
  • Like 1

It seems you TA is not really good. We got confirmation email for each price adjustment and upgrade from our TA even before I hang up the phone. I could check the price, cabin number, perks, and other incentives on the email immediately.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

It seems you TA is not really good. We got confirmation email for each price adjustment and upgrade from our TA even before I hang up the phone. I could check the price, cabin number, perks, and other incentives on the email immediately.

Let me repeat it one more time:

The TA requested the copy of the revised reservation, and was told by Celebrity that they will send it. They didn't. Nothing to do with the TA.

26 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

We handle our own res and do this all the time with the X rep..they send it instantly so we can look it over

OP wants it to be Xs fault..so that's " the end" of the story..sorry the topic heading does not match!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I do check the prices on a constant basis, along with my TA.

I'm in Canada. Maybe things are different in US? More competition? I had at least 3 agents in the last 15 years, I don't remember anyone offering me a different price than the official price on the cruise line website, or any extra perks. My current TA is working in a fairly large company.

I wouldn't even bother with a TA but would book directly with the cruise line if a TA couldn't offer me a better price and/or additional perks.

The only reason I use a TA is for the extras they provide that are not available booking directly with the cruise line. 

For cruises where no TA can offer anything worthwhile, or only some token minimal perk (as often happens with some of the rock bottom priced last minute closeout sales), I can't see any good reason to bother involving an unnecessary third party at all.

Now I am well aware that there will be some cruisers reading this who will immediately start thinking "Oh, but my wonderful TA does this and that for me" and I certainly am not disputing what they say.  That is fine for anyone who feels that way.

I just don't happen to be one of them as I really don't want or need the type of hand holding from a TA that some posters gush about. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Better informed how??? She specifically asked if we keep the perks after changing cabins, and got a positive response.

Calls are recorded, have your TA have them review the call if they don't put your OBC back.

31 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The TA requested the copy of the revised reservation, and was told by Celebrity that they will send it. They didn't. Nothing to do with the TA.

Yes they generally send the updated invoice over while you are on the phone.  If the TA didn't get it I believe they have a way to get it on demand.  I know when booked directly with Celebrity there is an automated system where I can call and get the guest invoice without waiting for a rep.

To me the TA was the one who negotiated with Celebrity for the upgrade (with you on the line).  It's now their job to get what they (both the TA and Celebrity) promised you.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But in fact it is all to do with the TA.

If you use a TA, it is the TA's responsibility to obtain and send you your copy of the cruise line's invoice.

The cruise line sends the revised reservation only to the TA, not directly to you because when you use a TA, you are the client of the TA.

The TA is the client of the cruise line, and your TA is apparently trying to cop-out here by trying to blame the cruise line for their own negligence.

Edited by fleckle
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

That is the problem. The TA should not even hang up the phone until he/she received the info from Celebrity and then forward to you. We would not receive the confirmation from Celebrity directly if it is through a TA. In my last call to my TA for the upgrade, he finished talking to Celebrity and received all the info right at 10pm EST when Celebrity closed but continued to work on his end to send me the confirmation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My TA just called them and fixed the issue. They admitted it was a glitch in their system.

This is why you need a good TA. So you don't waste your time on phone. Let them do the job. Same way as you don't do your own taxes and give it to a professional accountant.

But of course some people will continue defending Celebrity and say they did nothing wrong..

• Like 2

Same here. I did my own tax, but that is not relevant. By no means I am defending Celebrity as the glitch has been reported and verified. I still think your TA is partly responsible to the problem. It never needs a promise to receive a confirmation. It is supposed to get one and within minutes. There is no excuse for the TA to miss that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

My TA just called them and fixed the issue. They admitted it was a glitch in their system.

This is why you need a good TA. So you don't waste your time on phone. Let them do the job. Same way as you don't do your own taxes and give it to a professional accountant.

But of course some people will continue defending Celebrity and say they did nothing wrong..

Most everyone here has said that Celebrity would fix the mistake if your TA would call.  That is hardly people who "continue defending Celebrity."  Did anyone say that X wasn't at fault?  What you've yet to acknowledge is that your TA should not have gotten off the phone with you or Celebrity without confirming everything in writing.  Even my big box TA does that, and the agent you deal with is the agent who answers the phone.

And I do my own taxes, too.  It's not that hard.

• Like 2

Good luck with your taxes.

I learned the hard way that trying to save few bucks and do my own taxes could potentially cost me thousands. Nobody can be good at everything. Just let the professionals do their job. Especially if it costs you nothing like in case of TA.

in this case, getting an instant email confirmation might not even indicate the problem.the glitch probably happened later because the email indicating a balance came few hours after she spoke with Celebrity while the email reversing it came right after her second call with them today. So I would suggest not making assumptions if you don't have all the facts.

22 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We booked a veranda cabin on Reflection for June 14 cruise to BRITISH ISLES. Few days after the final payment, the price dropped by almost $2,000 CAD for three of us. Another week and the price was $3,000 CAD less!!

Asked my TA to call them to see if there anything they can do. After spending 30 minutes and being transferred few times, they finally offered to upgrade us to a concierge C1 cabin. The TA asked if we would keep the perks from the original booking, and got a positive response. The celebrity representative also said that the new cabin is bigger, which is obviously incorrect.

Now I got an email from Celebrity saying that I have a balance due. I used my onboard credit to purchase the shore excursions, and this credit has been removed as a result of the "upgrade".

Not only they dropped the price by almost $3,000 CAD, they lied about the new cabin (which is not much of an upgrade), and messed up the original booking.

Very disappointing customer service and questionable pricing policies. 

You need a new, better travel agent. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, florisdekort said:

Right.. Celebrity screwed up but the fanboys keep telling me it's my agent fault. I guess you won't let the facts to confuse you..

Rule number one of cruising for our family. NEVER look at pricing after final payment. It only leads to ruining your vacation. You booked at a price you were OK with when you booked. You also picked a cabin your were comfortable with at that point. When you look at price drops after final payment it will only lead to frustration. This isnt bad customer service. It is how cruising works. You can always take the risk that the price will be lower later and wait to book. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesnt. 

52 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Right.. Celebrity screwed up but the fanboys keep telling me it's my agent fault. I guess you won't let the facts to confuse you..

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate for you to say:

”Thank you to all the CC members who posted.  I would guess as many as 12 people told me  that Celebrity is having a problem with OBC going away initially when there is an upgrade after the final payment date.  (Exactly what happened to me). You all told me that I should contact my TA again, let him know, and get him to fix my booking by working with Celebrity.   It finally worked, the issue has been resolved, and your input is much appreciated”

Of course the problem was a Celebrity problem (in their system allegedly). You needed to get your TA to work with Celebrity to correct your new booking.  It could not have been more clear.  

Now, enjoy your cruise.

• Like 9

I guess the lessons here are 1) that the travel agent should not be expected to be able to evaluate statements made by a rep, 2) that the travel agent isn't to be expected to read and understand a confirmation to make sure it comports with the changes agreed to, 3) that the travel agent is not supposed to be expected to initiate on her own a request for a confirmation that was not timely sent, 4) that a rep who makes a statement that gets contradicted by clear mistake by the computer or financial department must have  intentionally lied despite no reason to do so, 5) that any rep who makes a mistake about relative cabin sizes must be lying, and 6) that all of this amounts to "outrageous" conduct by Celebrity. Oh, and 7) that the fact that horrible mean old Celebrity apparently fixed the OBC and billing problem when given the first opportunity to do so is of no consequence to their dastardly intentional malfeasance.

And of course a corollary is that anyone who thinks it was a simple mistake is a deluded fanboy because the real problem here is that Celebrity dropped their prices gradually after final payment so as to somehow prevent the OP from taking advantage of those prices because they knew the drop would only provoke a request after the 50% forfeit point was reached.

The Entitlement Society is alive and well.

Edited by mayleeman
typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, florisdekort said:

So true, but it is pointless to keep telling that to the original poster who refuses to recognize such an obvious fact and just insists on seeing whatever he or she wants to see.

Edited by varoo
  • Like 3