Edge-izing the Solstice Class Ships...

I'm not sure if there's been any information on exactly what changes Celebrity will make when they remake the Solstice class ships in the Edge image.  Has anyone seen any real information or is it all just speculation at this point?  With absolutely no ideas or info, here's what I'm dreading might happen (remember- PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART):

1- Sky Lounge eliminated for more suite space and for a club dedicated space for suite guests only!  (NOOOO!)

2- The warm and inviting colors of S-class cabins replaced with the vapid all gray cabin interiors of Edge!  (for the love of... ugh)

3- The Persian Gardens replaced with - oh, who cares?!  Don't touch the Persian Gardens, Celebrity (shaking my fist- lol)

4- Lawn Club removed and replaced with Rooftop Garden.  Yes, PLEASE!

5- Solarium partitioned into two spaces... one side for suite guests only.  (Hmph!)  Don't touch my Solarium!  LOL

6- Martini Bar frozen top completely removed to match Edge!  (NOOOOOOO!  silly, but this is mostly tongue-in-cheek stuff here)

7- Since Infinite Verandas are "WILDLY POPULAR", all balconies converted to IV format.  (This will never happen)

Ok, most of this is just me thinking about point #1 above.  I'd hate that!  I can't wait for my cruise aboard Edge next year (but I'm gonna need to find a way to get some color into those cold gray cabin interiors.  people, gray is an UGLY color... it's not even a color.  this isn't artistic at all.  designers get over it.) and I'm sure I'm going to love it.  But please, Celebrity, don't muck with the gorgeous Solstice class too much.  I still haven't stepped aboard the Reflection simply because I read that the Sky Lounge was butchered into a smaller venue for more Suites.  Ugh.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 4

That is exactly what I asked myself - what will they do to the realtivly  " new " Solstice Class of ships?

1. They can remove the hideous " Hideway"- and put the suite guests in there ( unlikely)

2. They can remove the alcoves- overprized - no seaview- away with them... LOL

3. I am sure they will turn Michaels into this suite guests thing and make it look as cold and bare like the former

Michaels Club  on board Milli and Summit

4. Martini Bar removed- turned into a Karaookeeee- Bar- adults only!

The list could go on and on. LOL!

Tongue in cheek!

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Cruising Forever! said:

Since Infinite Verandas are "WILDLY POPULAR", all balconies converted to IV format.  (This will never happen)

I have read that this will not happen, as they are built into the structure of the ship.

One aspect that has already been changed, the Petit Chef has already been introduced to replace Qsine. 

Edited to add this found elsewhere on Cruise Critic:

Ship: Celebrity Equinox 

Dates: May 2019

Details: Celebrity Equinox will receive additional suites including a Reflection Suite and several Signature Suites; all cabins will be outfitted with RFID locks, the line's high-speed Xcelerate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability. Additionally, Michael's Club will be transformed into the Retreat Lounge, exclusively for the use of suite passengers; and a suites-only Retreat Sundeck will be added, as well. The ship's Oceanview Cafe buffet restaurant will be redesigned in an open, marketplace style; Cellar Masters wine bar will be transformed into a gastrobar; and the photo galleries will be converted to digital spaces.

Edited by upwarduk

I’ve read that the library, the card room, and the open space above the library on 11 will become 6 new cabins.  Since they’ve left the Martini Bar on the M-class ships pretty much alone except for new carpet, I hope they’ll do the same for S-class.

32 minutes ago, groryjm said:

Surely that happened in 2014?

Cellar Masters on the Solstice is still just Cellar Masters, and goes unused for a large part of the day.  It’s a nice venue, maybe the Gastropub idea will be an enhancement?

Just review what they just did on Millennium and Summit.  Yes they are M-Class ships but it indicates the type of changes that will likely occur on S-Class.  Why spend time speculating?  We will find out soon enough. 

8 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

Since Infinite Verandas are "WILDLY POPULAR", all balconies converted to IV format.  (This will never happen)

You are correct that this will never happen. Not if they are "Revolutionizing" the entire fleet for a budget of $500M. Also, of all the love-it-or-have-it aspects of Edge, I think the "wildly popular" infinite format is the most reviled. I haven't read any review from a long term Celebrity cruiser who actually likes the infinite veranda. I showed videos of these to a friend who travels regularly on balconies or suites on Royal. She said, "Ewwwww, that's horrible! I'd never book that."

Another friend who is a travel agent and cruises Celebrity frequently said, "If you gave me a free cruise right now on either Edge or any other X ship, I would not choose Edge. There's no feeling of being outside. You're inside your cabin, staring out a window. It's like an Oceanview room with an opening window. And forget about allowing 1 person to sleep late in a darkened room while the other enjoys the morning outside."

I do wonder if they will quit this aspect of the Edge design after Apex is rolled out.

As for the OP who hates the neutral decor tones of Edge cabins...  I really like the aesthetic. It's clean and bright and breezy...until 2 years of cruisers have left their mark. A dry dock may come sooner than later.

Edited by letsgogogo
  • Like 1

I would expect that the S Class ships will have their Sky Lounge cut in half as does Reflection already to add additional suites on the port side.  That's what I'm telling myself because a truncated Sky Lounge is better than no lounge!  (At least for me as I'll never be staying in a suite on Celebrity...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I would expect that the S Class ships will have their Sky Lounge cut in half as does Reflection already to add additional suites on the port side.  That's what I'm telling myself because a truncated Sky Lounge is better than no lounge!

That is exactly what is happening.  The new Deck Plans have been out for a couple of month.  To me it looks more like a Reflection-ization than an Edge-ification, though I'm expecting the Edge color scheme.

You can check this thread:

Edited by pd7277
Attached the wrong link.

Nothing drastic would happen on Solstice, at least in the near future.

Ship: Celebrity Solstice

Dates: September 2021

Details: Celebrity Solstice will receive additional suites including a Reflection Suite and several Signature Suites; all cabins will be outfitted with RFID locks, the line's high-speed Xcelerate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability. Additionally, Michael's Club will be transformed into the Retreat Lounge, exclusively for the use of suite passengers; and a suites-only Retreat Sundeck will be added, as well. The ship's Oceanview Cafe buffet restaurant will be redesigned in an open, marketplace style; Cellar Masters wine bar will be transformed into a gastrobar; and the photo galleries will be converted to digital spaces.

A few new cabins added- the poster who mentioned " Reflectionization" was right on the spot! A few more cabins means a few more passengers- which means a bit more crowded- which means even less space on the open decks- since the prommenade decks on Solstice are pretty useless. X calls it " Modern Luxury"!

Give the product a nice name and it sell´s!

7 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

A few new cabins added- the poster who mentioned " Reflectionization" was right on the spot! A few more cabins means a few more passengers- which means a bit more crowded- which means even less space on the open decks- since the prommenade decks on Solstice are pretty useless. X calls it " Modern Luxury"!

Give the product a nice name and it sell´s!

When they added cabin, they also reduced the capacity of certain cabins from 4 Max to 3 Max or even 2 Max to keep the total number of passengers within the legal limit. It is a bit more crowded due to the added cabin, not added passengers.

I agree that the Solstice Class ships are not being Edgesized. They called it the Revolution, unlike when they called it Solcistizing when they redid the M Class with Solstice-like features. The color scheme may be similar to the Edge (much better in person, BTW - I hated it too when looking at the renditions and pictures, but loved the look in person), they will add the Retreat Sundeck (and change name of MC to Retreat Lounge), redo the OVC and maybe do away with library and card room, but I doubt there will be much else the same as the Edge.

The Edge has too many unique features to integrate into the footprint of the S Class and stay within budget. The Edge has 4 MDRs, totally different specialty restaurants, Eden in the aft, no Sky Lounge, a huge lap pool, martini glass hot tubs, Magic Carpet, unique running track, IVs, etc. that make the Edge the Edge. Changing the colors of the S Class, adding a suite sundeck, adding a few suites, updating the Ocean View Cafe and changing Cellar Masters are all updates that likely would have been done whether or not the Edge was built.

I would love to see some of the Edge specialty restaurants (especially Le Grand Bistro and an Eden Cafe-like complimentary dining venue would be great!) on S Class, a more Edge-like OVC and change in color scheme (hate the orange and brown!), but will lament losing part of the Sky Lounge (though love the Reflection), Cellar Masters and library (if that goes). We love the S Class and hope they continue to have the same feel, with some nice updates. 🙂

Edit: Just found this in the early press release so maybe the libraries will stay?

"Even more groundbreaking innovations are on the horizon with THE CELEBRITY REVOLUTION, including:

• Expansion of the new SEA Thermal Suite – first introduced on Celebrity Edge – to offer an ahh inspiring array of therapeutic spa experiences at sea

• Exclusive new shopping experiences featuring sought-after brands and designers, such as Shinola, John Hardy, and Hublot, plus state-of-the-art digital photo galleries that make browsing vacation memories a snap

• Elevated bars and lounges, including the newly reimagined Passport Bar and an expansion of Celebrity’s popular Gastrobar concept, serving more than 40 craft beers, creative cocktails, and gourmet comfort food

• More exciting upgrades to public venues all throughout each ship, including The Hideaway, Team Earth, The Library, and more"

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I expect we will try EQ or Silhouette, our 2 favorite S class ships..We'll  hope to find an itinerary we find new and exciting...when the next bookings.

Open to a refreshed looked but  more pax..not so much!

On 4/6/2019 at 5:52 AM, lisiamc said:

I’ve read that the library, the card room, and the open space above the library on 11 will become 6 new cabins.  Since they’ve left the Martini Bar on the M-class ships pretty much alone except for new carpet, I hope they’ll do the same for S-class.

Ew- I like those spaces 

47 minutes ago, Cruising Forever! said:

Ew- I like those spaces 

We were just on Solstice, and the bookshelves on 11 were empty.  The decorative books were still there, and most of the books on 10 were still there too, but I’ve heard that they’re going.

Deck 6 - The iLounge is being replaced with 4 inside cabins.

Deck 7 - Team Earth is being replaced with "The Hub."  Maybe a combination of iLounge/Team Earth?

Deck 8 appears the same as previous, with nothing on the deck plan.

Deck 9 - The Card Room is being replaced with 4 inside cabins.

Decks 10 and 11 - The 2 floor Library is staying.

In all, they are adding:

1 Reflection Suite (Deck 14)

5 Signature Suites (Deck 14)

8 Inside Cabins (4 on Deck 6 and 4 on Deck 9)

The ship's maximum occupancy will not change, but with the addition of the cabins, 28 existing cabins with 3/4 occupancy are being reduced to 2pax.

1 hour ago, pd7277 said:

Deck 7 - Team Earth is being replaced with "The Hub."  Maybe a combination of iLounge/Team Earth?

In all, they are adding:

The ship's maximum occupancy will not change, but with the addition of the cabins, 28 existing cabins with 3/4 occupancy are being reduced to 2pax.

May be right on many things but I've been told that the library is NOT staying on any of the ships.  Edge does not have one and it's been removed from both Millie & Summit already....Equinox will be the 1st "S" class to have it removed. 

2 hours ago, pd7277 said:

In all, they are adding:

Thanks!

I can see the change to the Hub instead of Team Earth in the May 2020 deck plans - it does sound like possibly an iLounge or combo. Glad to see the library is still there for now - hopefully it will stay.

Looks like Gastrobar will be called Craft Social, with World Class, Passport and Martini bars still there?

2 hours ago, pd7277 said:

In all, they are adding:

Maybe the displaced card players can go to the library if they are quiet!  More likely the Silarium, Buffet or Cafe Baccio which they seem to prefer.

I look forward to cruising on Equinox after she has been revolutionized.  I wanted an S1 corner aft, but the pricing was $800 more than the S2 next to it...it has never beeen that expensive, until many of us have commented on how much we prefer that configuration to the one on Edge...IMHO, a big miss for those cabins!

Quite a bit of info in the Equinox Revolution thread that comes straight from Celebrity. I really don’t think there are many changes other than cosmetic changes (which the cabins need) aside from the Retreat Sundeck. Lawn stays, no real speciality dining changes, a few cabin additions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk