Judge threatens to stop Carnival ships from docking In US

voljeep

35 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Jail time is the answer - from the Board of Directors, President, CEO's , the perps that did the job, and most

importantly ... the CAPTAIN of the ships involved, and the perps who did the coverup ... allegedly.

Seems like the cart's pretty far out on front of the horse here. I certainly agree that anyone who actively took part in, or was aware of, the alleged illegalities should face severe punishment, I don't think that should automatically extend to every corporate executive of the violating firm. While they certainly do have ultimate responsibility and will have to face the music from a financial/corporate standpoint, sending a VP or President to jail for the actions of someone 37 levels down the corporate food chain is too extreme unless they knew anything of the wrongdoing. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Seems like the cart's pretty far out on front of the horse here. I certainly agree that anyone who actively took part in, or was aware of, the alleged illegalities should face severe punishment, I don't think that should automatically extend to every corporate executive of the violating firm. While they certainly do have ultimate responsibility and will have to face the music from a financial/corporate standpoint, sending a VP or President to jail for the actions of someone 37 levels down the corporate food chain is too extreme unless they knew anything of the wrongdoing. 

It depends - why would the employee be encouraged to do such a behavior? Culture or pressure from above?

It does seem like the very top of Princess are all about cutting at all costs. Maybe the pressure was coming from the top down.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What people don't understand is that this probation was to change corporate culture, so the failure of someone down the ladder is a failure of management to implement a viable program of compliance.

Very well stated, and clearly the corporation as a whole needs an attitude adjustment, starting at the top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

What people don't understand is that this probation was to change corporate culture, so the failure of someone down the ladder is a failure of management to implement a viable program of compliance.

As usual, the Chief has nailed it. 

• Haha 1

As a non-U.S. entity, incorporated in Panama and exempt from paying U.S. corporate income taxes, CCL's restitution should be an amount that is at least equal to the Federal taxes not required to be paid since this lying, pollution and coverup started.

As for punishment for those responsible ... I hope the courts show them no kindness nor mercy.

36 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

As a non-U.S. entity, incorporated in Panama and exempt from paying U.S. corporate income taxes, CCL's restitution should be an amount that is at least equal to the Federal taxes not required to be paid since this lying, pollution and coverup started.

As for punishment for those responsible ... I hope the courts show them no kindness nor mercy.

Your responsible as you cruised and you contributed to this pollution...

1 hour ago, DDG 41 said:

Your responsible as you cruised and you contributed to this pollution...

Sorry but it is not the responsibility of the guest to see that the cruise lines follow the law. We as guest paid the cruise lines to provide the cruise, in exchange for that payment the cruise company agrees to provide a safe and enjoyable cruise as promoted and advertised. It is the job of the cruise lines to provide ships and crews that follow the law and still honor the agreement with the guests.

• Like 2

Just now, oskidunker said:

Will any people cancel cruises? I doubt it. 

A few of the conservationists from California might, but the rest of the normal sailing people will still cruise just as before.

Very interesting how many on here want to play Judge, Jury, and Executioner.  I'm thinking about those outside of the cruise line employees that depend on those ships coming to port for their livelihoods.  IF they are purposefully negligent, I would hope the punishment is focused on CCL making retributions and not a punishment that will effect so many others outside the corporate structure.  I personally will continue to sail on Princess and enjoy the extra room from those boycotting.  Thanks in advance!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

....and enjoy the extra room from those boycotting.  Thanks in advance!!

Boycotts don’t work. Never have. Never will. 

Except for those special folks, of course.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ep010835 said:

Of course they don't.  Sometimes changes are made and people pat themselves on the back and ASSUME their boycott changed it.  But it did not.  Boycotts have only the most minuscule effect on a corporation, because almost nobody does it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Yeah, I agree.  I was being facetious!  Of course, some of the comments seem to be confusing boycotting with striking...so those that are providing cash flow and those actually effected by the cash flow.

• Like 1

Just now, USCcruisecrazy said:

Yeah, I agree.  I was being facetious!  Of course, some of the comments seem to be confusing boycotting with striking...so those that are providing cash flow and those actually effected by the cash flow.

I noticed that too.  Striking and government sanctions.  Those work, boycotts do not.