Requested snacks in Haven

npater

6 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

By snacks I didn’t mean things like M&Ms or chips but canopies and such. It would be similar to the fare available in the Observation Lounge on the Bliss. If you’re staying in the Yacht Club you also have free access to the room’s mini bat/fridge that contains an assortment of snacks including chips, mixed nuts, chocolates and of course beer and liquor. 

The Haven lounge outside by the pool,  has snacks in the afternoon. Cookies, banana bread, etc. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, lemonade. 

Edited by drumming cruisers
addition

On 4/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, fsa1155 said:

We've never had sandwiches delivered.  Maybe I'll request some next time.  We asked that they just bring us fresh fruit and cookies.   We had tons of fruit and cookies last time we were in the Haven.  We like mustard and mayo on sandwiches.  Is there any place to get some packets of those to keep in the fridge in case they bring sandwiches?  I would imagine they come plain.

We like those pretzel knots & sticks. Philly style is with mustard. Butler brought delicious stone-ground mustard.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:10 AM, fsa1155 said:

What are canapes??  Does anyone have a picture of them? I need to know if I like them or not.  ha ha 

Post #8 in this thread. Some lovely ground pig liver squirted through a piping tube on a small piece of bread topped with a caper for raw salmon egg. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2019 at 9:20 PM, BirdTravels said:

Post #8 in this thread. Some lovely ground pig liver squirted through a piping tube on a small piece of bread topped with a caper for raw salmon egg. 

Thanks... No offense to anyone but that doesn't sound like a good snack for me.  I'll stick with chocolate covered strawberries and cookies.  🙂

• Like 3

On 4/16/2019 at 11:24 PM, BirdTravels said:

D2375D6C-52FA-46A6-ACC4-96525ADCCA79.jpeg

Everything Bird got in this one picture (which I assume was one day's worth of snacks) was all we got all cruise, 1 plate each day. Also there were 4 of us. We never got any snacks (pub mix, gummy bears, M&Ms, etc).

On 4/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, NLH Arizona said:

Are the snacks individually wrapped or does the person just take out of a large bowl/container.  If not wrapped, how does one know that people aren't putting their hands on the food when they get theres?  

They come wrapped, and they are left inside your suite. The people who prepare them have been putting their hands on them, but you need not worry about people walking by your suite and touching them. We’ve never been in the suite when they are delivered. The Butler has always placed them on the table inside the suite.

11 minutes ago, cruiser1955a said:

They come wrapped, and they are left inside your suite. The people who prepare them have been putting their hands on them, but you need not worry about people walking by your suite and touching them. We’ve never been in the suite when they are delivered. The Butler has always placed them on the table inside the suite.

The Butler in serving the snack items may or may not leave the plastic cover on the snacks.

These covers fit right over the plate and have a small finger hole in the top for ease of removal and they stack

nicely taking up not much more space than the plate. There is no worry about food spoiling as the snack service

is usually in the afternoon just in time to spoil the nice dinner and while you are at that dinner the Butler has

returned to clean up any left-overs.

The more contact and communication with your Butler results in getting snacks at a time that you would like and

selection same or varied.

2 hours ago, tomservo said:

Everything Bird got in this one picture (which I assume was one day's worth of snacks) was all we got all cruise, 1 plate each day. Also there were 4 of us. We never got any snacks (pub mix, gummy bears, M&Ms, etc).

What was pictured is 4 different days of snacks - that is what I have experienced -

but communicating with the Butler may result in getting all 4 in one day or everyday.

Not getting any service talk with your Butler - find out what the problem is - not getting anywhere let the Concierge

or Hotel Director know  - and of course at the end of the cruise tip accordingly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abbyar said:

Sandwiches/ canapes were the usual - some canapes we liked better than others. The frequent request from our children were chocolate covered strawberries, and we usually ate 2-3 plates of those a day. 

good to know someone likes them! they go to waste in our suite. Asked butler not to deliver them on our Alaska cruise, hubby's Dr threatened to put him on insulin, we don't need sweets we don't enjoy!

On 4/17/2019 at 12:07 PM, NLH Arizona said:

Are the snacks individually wrapped or does the person just take out of a large bowl/container.  If not wrapped, how does one know that people aren't putting their hands on the food when they get theres?  

The snacks are in individual bowls/plates.  I never saw one person manhandling any of the food in the Yacht Club Top Sail Lounge, and there was always a butler or bartender keeping an eye on that area.  I did not go up to the buffet on the pool deck so can't speak to that.  

9 hours ago, cruiser1955a said:

I asked the question if the snacks on MSC were left out, since poster said they were in common area.  I know how the snacks are handled on NCL.

We have had some really great butlers who have tailored our afternoon and evening snacks to what we like to eat....and to begin with we let them know that we don't ever want those little canapes.  If the butler is good, it is just a matter of communication and them noticing what you like best.

13 hours ago, tomservo said:

So,,,, the pub mix (sometimes chips), gummy bears, and M&Ms are always by request. We ask our butler to keep a bowl of each full throughout the cruise. The M&Ms and gummy bears go into a zip lock to extend our Haven experience at home (along with some tea forte bags). 

We have our room steward empty the refrigerator and the butler keep pitchers of water, tea, sometimes juice in there. 

We were just on the Escape a couple of weeks ago. We asked for a couple of rounds of chocolate covered strawberries and got a plate of chocolates. We finally found out that the provisioner in Florida did not deliver strawberries to the ship that week. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I asked the question if the snacks on MSC were left out, since poster said they were in common area.  I know how the snacks are handled on NCL.

Then you probably should have put “MSC” in your question. Especially since you are on the NCL board. I was only trying to help.

Having sailed several times in suites, we have experienced various levels of service, from being totally ignored to having every request granted. We have found that communicating your likes and dislikes, in writing, on the first day, results in the best experience. Below is a potion of the written request that we provided to our butler on our most recent cruise.

"We look forward to sailing with you for the next eleven days. We have sailed on NCL in the Haven on several cruises and have found that it helps to communicate what we like and don’t like on the first day.

These are the requests that we submitted to the concierge desk and accessibility desk.

1.    Firm Pillows

2.    Light blanket with no duvet

3.    Empty the mini-fridge

4.    Pitcher of orange juice in the mini-fridge

5.    Distilled water for both CPAPs

As for afternoon snacks, we don’t care for canapes or sweets.

We do enjoy cheese and crackers, sandwiches, chips, pretzels, nuts, and bar mix.

Thank you,"

As a result, our butler flawlessly followed these instructions and we had a wonderful cruise. Below is a photo of our typical daily snacks to which the butler frequently added other surprises.

Pearl Cruise  (77).JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruiser1955a said:

Then you probably should have put “MSC” in your question. Especially since you are on the NCL board. I was only trying to help.

Since I was responding to a poster, there was no need to name MSC, since he/she understood and responded, but thanks for your input.

Edited by NLH Arizona

11 hours ago, Falckon said:

Having sailed several times in suites, we have experienced various levels of service, from being totally ignored to having every request granted. We have found that communicating your likes and dislikes, in writing, on the first day, results in the best experience. Below is a potion of the written request that we provided to our butler on our most recent cruise.

"We look forward to sailing with you for the next eleven days. We have sailed on NCL in the Haven on several cruises and have found that it helps to communicate what we like and don’t like on the first day.

These are the requests that we submitted to the concierge desk and accessibility desk.

1.    Firm Pillows

2.    Light blanket with no duvet

3.    Empty the mini-fridge

4.    Pitcher of orange juice in the mini-fridge

5.    Distilled water for both CPAPs

As for afternoon snacks, we don’t care for canapes or sweets.

We do enjoy cheese and crackers, sandwiches, chips, pretzels, nuts, and bar mix.

Thank you,"

As a result, our butler flawlessly followed these instructions and we had a wonderful cruise. Below is a photo of our typical daily snacks to which the butler frequently added other surprises.

Pearl Cruise  (77).JPG

Thanks so much for providing a sample of your note.  I've read that people do this, so I had been debating whether or not to do it on our cruise.  It is nice to have an example and to know that it worked well for you.  

• 4 years later...

Thanks everyone. It seems that most of the things listed are regular foods that if you wanted you could get at the buffet. Is that the norm for their snacks? Can we make a list of luxury or unique foods that we should also remember to ask for ? I will be on NCL haven in March and don’t want to miss out on anything that I might be lesser know.  

I know that you can ask for anything you want and there might be a upcharge. I am specifically talking about free snacks that could be delivered on request. I spoke to someone in NCL and they said sushi was available but I’ve seen on other boards that there are upcharges. It seems vauge to me, for instance there is no list you can just see what’s available. I’m not sure if that is done on purpose.

4 minutes ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

Thanks everyone. It seems that most of the things listed are regular foods that if you wanted you could get at the buffet. Is that the norm for their snacks? Can we make a list of luxury or unique foods that we should also remember to ask for ? I will be on NCL haven in March and don’t want to miss out on anything that I might be lesser know.  

I know that you can ask for anything you want and there might be a upcharge. I am specifically talking about free snacks that could be delivered on request. I spoke to someone in NCL and they said sushi was available but I’ve seen on other boards that there are upcharges. It seems vauge to me, for instance there is no list you can just see what’s available. I’m not sure if that is done on purpose.

Everything mentioned is pretty much what you can get. Sushi would be from a specialty restaurant and charged. You will sometimes get some free canapés and perhaps some chocolate covered strawberries as a gift from the hotel director one day but if you order those things, up charge. 

I usually ask for some buffalo wings or pizza. I was never charged for that kind of stuff. Nothing luxurious. lol

20 minutes ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

If you're worried about  upcharges, ask  your butler if any of your requests would have upcharges.  

We've never encountered an upcharge but if  your worried then ask.

Quite frankly, any list of food available on the ship would be rather lengthy.

19 minutes ago, T1130 said:

Last year on The Joy we told our butler we liked chocolate covered strawberries , he delivered. We were never charged extra for them. 

We told our butler we like chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate dipped pineapple.  We had one or the other every day😋

• Like 1