VIP status

cruise_rima

8 minutes ago, cruise_rima said:

I have heard of VIP status on Silversea.  What does it do for you?

Have heard it gets you free laundry, but what else are the specifics and other benefits?  Would love to know more about these details.  Good question

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,446 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

I assume you are talking about the frequent guest program, the Venetian Society.  Members are not referred to as VIPs.  Everyone is a VIP on Silversea.  The benefits are described on this site:

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/venetian-society.html

For many people, the free laundry benefit hitting at 100 days is of great value.  The discounts on cruise fares are also welcome!  🙂 

Your travel agent might be able to get you VIP status.  In our experience, it probably is not worth a whole lot.  Yes, you probably get dinner at an officer's table and you might also get a "free" back pack but the overall service and attention on Silversea is so good that VIP status is really not necessary.  If you have booked one of the larger suites, you automatically get free laundry and dinner with an officer, so I wouldn't worry about being a VIP.  We have traveled both ways, and it really doesn't make much of a difference.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:03 PM, Emtbsam said:

Your travel agent might be able to get you VIP status.  In our experience, it probably is not worth a whole lot.  Yes, you probably get dinner at an officer's table and you might also get a "free" back pack but the overall service and attention on Silversea is so good that VIP status is really not necessary.  If you have booked one of the larger suites, you automatically get free laundry and dinner with an officer, so I wouldn't worry about being a VIP.  We have traveled both ways, and it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Great above background/comments from Emtbsam and others.  For us, the free laundry is big, important and very beneficial.  Our travel agent pushed and got us this VIP status for our upcoming July 25 Silver Muse sailing from Vancouver up to Alaska.  

From the hyper experienced and very smart Spins/Candy in Florida, she has shared with me some additional insights related to this "perk".  This includes that Silversea provides a  backpack for both of us a baseball cap for each person.  That's nice!  But she warned that the backpack is not waterproof or theft-proof. She suggested having a Ziploc bag to protect any items where you want to avoid moisture.  Spins also wisely urges us bringing along  strong carabiner clips to attach a water bottle and also to attach your backpack to the ships rail at lunch time at the grill.  She also uses a luggage tap to lock the zippers of the backpack.  Plus, she encouraged not being shy in using free laundry service in order to maximize the amount of clean and pressed items you have when you depart the ship.  All nice, savvy and good thoughts from Spins!!  Other ideas, suggestions and details? 

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On 5/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, cruise_rima said:

You can get VIP status if it’s comped by a senior SS exec. If so you can have upgraded WiFi for free and sometimes a free caddy.

38 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

You can get VIP status if it’s comped by a senior SS exec. If so you can have upgraded WiFi for free and sometimes a free caddy.

WOW!!  Upgraded WiFi would be wonderful, especially given some of the recent experiences and postings about the on-ship Internet being challenged for uploading and posting pictures.  In doing a live-blog, it can be frustrating if the system is too slow and/or not working because of blocking out set-up.  

What's a "free caddy"?  Among many in the U.S., a "caddy" is a Cadillac luxury automobile.  Doubt we'll get one of those free from Silversea.   Right?

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,581 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

8 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

WOW!!  Upgraded WiFi would be wonderful, especially given some of the recent experiences and postings about the on-ship Internet being challenged for uploading and posting pictures.  In doing a live-blog, it can be frustrating if the system is too slow and/or not working because of blocking out set-up.  

What's a "free caddy"?  Among many in the U.S., a "caddy" is a Cadillac luxury automobile.  Doubt we'll get one of those free from Silversea.   Right?

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,581 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

It’s an SS backpack 🎒 

On 5/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, cruise_rima said:

Hi,

I'm not certain that your question can accurately be answered in the precise way you might think.  Whilst any travel agent can request odd bits of special treatment that might either be foc or chargeable, and perhaps they might then keep their clients sweet by saying "you have been VIPed" in general terms I think you'll find that each persons experience who receive "special attention" will be different.  The term VIP might likely never be mentioned to the passenger. 

The start of the experience might be a  simple question "is there any requests you have that might make your experience of your cruise extra special".  The answer to that might be different for each indicividual and some things might be possible and other things not so easy.  For example free laundry might be fairly automatic, but special requests might include early embarq and late disembarq; a table for two always available in Terraza without reservation; extra special in-suite bar items that might get overlooked if others requested them; NOT receiving invites to join hosted tables etc.   Also what will happen is your photograph will be on the wall in service areas just behind the door. This not just alerts staff generally but might open up more attention from (for example)  the sommelier ie they may find you the odd bin end and that bit more personal attention.

Ironically genuine VIPs might when asked if they want any special arrangements reply and insist "please no fuss - I simply want to be ignored and left alone".

That is why I do not think there is one answer.

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It’s an SS backpack 🎒 

Oh, yes, I "get it" now.  A "caddy" is not a Cadillac luxury automobile, but a backpack.  Makes sense!!  Just different terms within the same English language.  Cute graphic image by Mr. Silver. 

Good points by Jeff that some most desire just to be "left alone" and not bothered and/or fussed over.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,791 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Among many in the U.S., a "caddy" is a Cadillac luxury automobile.  Doubt we'll get one of those free from Silversea.   Right?

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It’s an SS backpack 🎒 

Ha!  And to think I thought Mr. Silver was talking about golf.  

Doesn’t Dr. Ron get a caddy for his daily golf rounds on the Wind?  Or, does he make Rojann carry his putter for him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

But she warned that the backpack is not waterproof or theft-proof. She suggested having a Ziploc bag to protect any items where you want to avoid moisture.  Spins also wisely urges us bringing along  strong carabiner clips to attach a water bottle and also to attach your backpack to the ships rail at lunch time at the grill.  She also uses a luggage tap to lock the zippers of the backpack.

We have not sailed on Silversea yet; we have booked our first two Silversea cruises.  How prevalent is theft on board?  The above quote suggests that nothing should be left unattended, even for a moment.  

12 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We have not sailed on Silversea yet; we have booked our first two Silversea cruises.  How prevalent is theft on board?  The above quote suggests that nothing should be left unattended, even for a moment.  

Welcome!!  Hope you enjoy the Silversea experiences as we have loved in doing five cruises with them.  As to theft on the ship, I have never heard of, nor worried about any risk or issues in that way. The reason for the suggestion on securing your backpack is that in some cities and for certain countries, there is more congestion and great risks.  Being "careful" in some parts of the world can be a higher priority/concern.  Does this help?

Don't be shy!  Keep asking any and all questions.  The only "dumb" question is the one you do not ask.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,703 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Thanks Terry.  We have been lurking, and will join the Water Cooler soon.  We leave for a land trip to Ireland on Saturday, and will drop in to the cooler when we return.  (We do live near JP/Chris and Jen!)

The quote spoke of security at the Grill at lunch, hence our question.

10 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

The quote spoke of security at the Grill at lunch, hence our question.

We believe the statement was hardly aimed at security - rather just a place other than the floor to put your backpack when all seats are taken.  At least in our experience, Silversea just isn't the type of cruise line where people ever have to worry about that sort of thing anyway.

YIKES ALL!  MY email was not meant to be reproduced out of context and taken to mean something other than what it was on its face!!!!!

The backpack is lovely to carry stuff around in and I have commented before that it is not water proof.

However it is not one of those that are secure from those marauders off ship!

In the personal offline message I sent, I  hardly meant that there is any "security issue"  on the ship itself, but that one must be wary off of the ship when in crowds.

There are backpacks that one may purchase that are reinforced and have hidden zippers etc.  Surely, those are more secure when you are off the ship if you plan on toting your valuables around.

AND as far as the Grill at lunch. I use the clips to attach my bag to the rail so that it doesn't take up a seat and that it is off the deck. 

Please, Flying Scots and anyone else,  take it from Spins herself, she did not say anything about leaving things unattended at the Grill.

• Like 2

Appreciate these above comments and the follow-up from Spins/Candy.  Sorry that my posting would have created any confusion, doubt or question about safety on the Silversea ships.  I clearly understood what she was telling me and why. There was no risk on the ship.  The only reason for such a clip on the ship is for personal convenience on the ship, not for safety needs.   In the future, I'll keep her helpful tips private and not post here.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 28,485 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 3 years later...

We have been “VIP’d” a few times and yes, there were two complimentary Silversea backpacks in our room with Evian water misters (spray bottles) as well as bottled water inside easy of them. Also, every afternoon, a tray of “light bites” was delivered to our room. A nice touch. Oh yes, and the free, basic, laundry service was nice.