Traveling with minor - not my child

Mom2Evie

I'm cruising in July with my 17 year old daughter and her 16 year old best friend.  BFF has a passport, so that's not going to be a problem.  What additional documentation will I need to leave the country with the BFF?  My PVP said a notarized letter would be great, but she didn't tell me what information should be in this letter.  Can anyone help that has direct experience with this?

Thanks

I just looked this up on the Carnival site for a friend:

Traveling with a Minor
When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

According to what Carnival says, yes, all you need is an original letter signed by her parent/guardian indicating they give permission to allow her (her full name as outlined in her passport, I'd presume) to travel with you (again, your name as outlined on the ID you're using) on this particular cruise (Carnival xxx out of xxx Port) departing on xxx and returning on xxx.

It does not need to be notarized, which is what my friend was asking.

Notarized letter signed by both parents allowing you to take the child out of the country. Also, in the same letter, explicit permission to allow you authorize any necessary medical care should the situation arise.

• Like 2

Ideally it would be signed by both parents, and notarized, along with a photocopy of her birth certificate(shows parentage as well as parents signatures example if you can’t get a notarized letter). The letter should include permission to travel with you, dates of travel, where you are going, and most importantly, medical permission to treat her in case of an accident along with insurance card/proof.

Carnival does not have a set form letter, but there are loads of examples on the internet.  Just google travel permission letter.  

How detailed you need to be with this is variable; many people are not even asked for the letter, especially with an older teen.  That’s not to say they won’t, so for peace of mind, get as much as you can but I would absolutely insist on the medical permission.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Notarized letter signed by both parents allowing you to take the child out of the country. Also, in the same letter, explicit permission to allow you authorize any necessary medical care should the situation arise.

Carnival's site does not indicate the letter needs to be notarized. 

29 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

Ideally it would be signed by both parents, and notarized, along with a photocopy of her birth certificate(shows parentage as well as parents signatures example if you can’t get a notarized letter). The letter should include permission to travel with you, dates of travel, where you are going, and most importantly, medical permission to treat her in case of an accident along with insurance card/proof.

Carnival does not have a set form letter, but there are loads of examples on the internet.  Just google travel permission letter.  

How detailed you need to be with this is variable; many people are not even asked for the letter, especially with an older teen.  That’s not to say they won’t, so for peace of mind, get as much as you can but I would absolutely insist on the medical permission.

I've never seen the parent's signature on a birth certificate, just their names. We'll be bringing step-grand daughter with us on Radiance and we'll have letters from both mom and dad (who don't live together) including permission to obtain medical treatment. I haven't decided yet whether or not to get a passport for her yet.

Edited by sparks1093

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I've never seen the parent's signature on a birth certificate, just their names. We'll be bringing step-grand daughter with us on Radiance and we'll have letters from both mom and dad (who don't live together) including permission to obtain medical treatment. I haven't decided yet whether or not to get a passport for her yet.

Mine does,  but then it is a Certified photostat of the original BC signed by mom, dad and the Doctor who delivered me.  But I am dating myself and you are right, modern BCs often don’t. I guess I am also spending too much time on my genealogy research, and all of those have signatures. Please forgive my forgetfulness.

I _______, the parent of blank give my child __________ permission to travel as needed with __(your name)____________ for the time period of _________ associated with a carnival cruise.  This includes travel to and from the cruise as well as travel within port stops.  _________ may also obtain emergency medical care for my child as ____ deems necessary.  If there are any questions regarding the forgoing I can be reached at ______.

Either have it notarized or add a copy of parent drivers license and signature.  I would not be surprised if you are never asked for it.

Please be sure and bring a signed letter with you.  

You may never get asked for it but when taking my granddaughters on cruises I have been asked for the letter three different times. Once by Royal, once by Disney and once by Customs.

So don’t let anyone convince otherwise. 

nmi

We took our son's friend last year. I just looked up an example of a "consent for minor children to travel" letter online and based my own off of that. I didn't follow it exactly, but close, and typed it up in Word. I included the boy's name, the region we were sailing to (e.g. Eastern Caribbean), name of the ship, our cruise dates, and our names & signatures (including our son's) to signify who the boy was traveling with. It also granted permission to authorize medical care if necessary. Had both of his parents sign it with their address & phone number. I also had it notarized (I have a notary in the family, so that was easy). He had a passport, but we did not take a copy of his birth certificate. With the passport, I wasn't worried about the BC. Neither Carnival nor U.S. customs ever asked for it, but it's good to have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Mine does,  but then it is a Certified photostat of the original BC signed by mom, dad and the Doctor who delivered me.  But I am dating myself and you are right, modern BCs often don’t. I guess I am also spending too much time on my genealogy research, and all of those have signatures. Please forgive my forgetfulness.

No worries at all.

Here's another piece of paper you should try to bring, a copy of the child's medical insurance card or coverage. It would be rare for the insurance company to cover services on board the ship or while in foreign ports of call but at least you have the info on hand.

• Like 1

The forms we use stateside at least are notarized and include medical information and insurance card info as well. As well as the parents contact info and permission.

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

this is what I used last year when I took my granddaughter.  always include permission for medical care, you never know.  We has one young person traveling with a group of seniors taken off our ship with alcohol poisoning.  Always error on the side of being prepared.  I was never asked for my paperwork.

10 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

Carnival's site does not indicate the letter needs to be notarized. 

Do not go by Carnival. Go to Homeland Security site. We traveled with granddaughter..had birth certificate and NOTORIZED letter from her parents and he still gave us a hard time because it wasn’t a RAISED notary stamp. They can be really nasty if they want. Print out a copy of their webpage about this and have it with you. Sure wish I had..it was miserable!!

My son was taking his daughter with us on a cruise on the Pride a few years ago.  We found a consent form online, tweaked it for our travel - cruise line, departing date, ports, returning dates and medical decision making.  She had it notarized. We boarded the Pride and was not asked for any form.  It's better to be safe than sorry. Have the consent form notarized.

Happy sails!

Edited by CoolOne56

We took my son’s friend with us in February when we cruised. I got him a passport—long complicated back history, fortunately his mom showed up at the passport office with the correct paperwork (his and her birth certificate, divorce papers, custody papers, etc) although she showed up an hour after we were supposed to meet, 20 minutes before the office closes. 

While I had her there I also had her sign a consent for minor child to travel and permission to seek medical care for a minor and had them both notarized. 

The customs officer absolutely asked for the notarized consent to travel, his passport, I threw a certified copy of his birth certificate in the pile as well, and he spoke to him while the rest of us stood off to the side. It took at least five minutes and he was doing quite a lengthy and thorough job of checking through the papers. 

7 hours ago, IDKaren said:

Do not go by Carnival. Go to Homeland Security site. We traveled with granddaughter..had birth certificate and NOTORIZED letter from her parents and he still gave us a hard time because it wasn’t a RAISED notary stamp. They can be really nasty if they want. Print out a copy of their webpage about this and have it with you. Sure wish I had..it was miserable!!

That is interesting, around here most have went away from the raised seal, because it doesn't fax or scan well.