Cuba cruises nixed

voyageur9

We are very disappointed that we won't get to see Cuba as planned, and will most likely decide to book another cruise, since we have been to the other 2 ports on our Cuba cruise.  We will also take a loss on the airfare that we have already booked.

BUT our loss is minimal compared to the loss to the Cuban people.  I sent emails last night to our 2 guides in Cuba that we had booked.  Their responses make me so sad.:

"We feel sorry too.This travel ban is really bad for us .As usual,all this measures hurt the people.Leaders will continue to eat well and live comfortably."

"Hello Sandy.Thanks for your message.You are right.This nonsense decision affects the government but also the many self workers who do not have ties with it ,in my case I am an independent tour guide without any relation with the government and truly it is affecting my family and me.There are many people in Cuba and in my city that will be hurt.Thabk you for your communication and concern.Maybe some day we will meet in Cienfuegos You have a friend here. Hugs."

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, sandyss said:

We are very disappointed that we won't get to see Cuba as planned, and will most likely decide to book another cruise, since we have been to the other 2 ports on our Cuba cruise.  We will also take a loss on the airfare that we have already booked.

BUT our loss is minimal compared to the loss to the Cuban people.  I sent emails last night to our 2 guides in Cuba that we had booked.  Their responses make me so sad.:

"We feel sorry too.This travel ban is really bad for us .As usual,all this measures hurt the people.Leaders will continue to eat well and live comfortably."

"Hello Sandy.Thanks for your message.You are right.This nonsense decision affects the government but also the many self workers who do not have ties with it ,in my case I am an independent tour guide without any relation with the government and truly it is affecting my family and me.There are many people in Cuba and in my city that will be hurt.Thabk you for your communication and concern.Maybe some day we will meet in Cienfuegos You have a friend here. Hugs."

🙁

Thank you for sharing and for illuminating the human toll this decision is taking.  Very sad indeed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Sounds like a policy that travel agency might have instituted.  I'm not sure the TA would be the final word in this.

No   it is the new rule....please read the notice...    A US citizen coming from anywhere via any means plane train , ship, donkey cart or on foot is barred from entering Cuba.      If you somehow managed and had a Cuban stamp in  your passport.... just what do you think might happen on  your return when you request entry into the USA ?? 

I  would not like to find out myself

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

...A US citizen coming from anywhere via any means plane train , ship, donkey cart or on foot is barred from entering Cuba. ...

Reminds me of a joke making the rounds back in the 70's during the years of attempted plane hijackings....

Did you hear about the disaster?

Everyone drowned.

Someone tried to hijack a train to Cuba.

Edited by ShipWalker

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

No   it is the new rule....please read the notice...    A US citizen coming from anywhere via any means plane train , ship, donkey cart or on foot is barred from entering Cuba.      If you somehow managed and had a Cuban stamp in  your passport.... just what do you think might happen on  your return when you request entry into the USA ?? 

I  would not like to find out myself

You are basically incorrect. That's not what it says.  Americans can still go to Cuba, but the trick is getting all the right boxes ticked.  

"
Under “support for the Cuban people” category, individuals can travel to Cuba, but they must have an itinerary filled with meetings and visits with local business owners, artists or others. They must plan on participating in local activities and staying in a private home, instead of a hotel."

From the NYT.

It's the person-to-person category that has been revoked. IF you can meet the requirements of the "support for the Cuban people" category, you can fly right there from Miami, provided you fly commercial (no private planes, no private yachts, no cruise ships).

14 minutes ago, cowmilker said:

You are basically incorrect. That's not what it says.  Americans can still go to Cuba, but the trick is getting all the right boxes ticked.  

"
Under “support for the Cuban people” category, individuals can travel to Cuba, but they must have an itinerary filled with meetings and visits with local business owners, artists or others. They must plan on participating in local activities and staying in a private home, instead of a hotel."

From the NYT.

It's the person-to-person category that has been revoked. IF you can meet the requirements of the "support for the Cuban people" category, you can fly right there from Miami, provided you fly commercial (no private planes, no private yachts, no cruise ships).

This makes this whole new ban even more ridiculous.  What is the difference from flying in on a commercial plane and taking a commercial cruise line?  Seems completely contradictory and worded just to cover certain bases!  One of the things I read is that Trump doesn't want US dollars spent in Cuba.  What in the world do they think people are going to use if they fly in?  

Edited by Wyoming2010

10 minutes ago, Wyoming2010 said:

This makes this whole new ban even more ridiculous.  What is the difference from flying in on a commercial plane and taking a commercial cruise line?  Seems completely contradictory and worded just to cover certain bases!  One of the things I read is that Trump doesn't want US dollars spent in Cuba.  What in the world do they think people are going to use if they fly in?  

You go to Cuba with $CDN or EU or $MX that you exchanged before you went...  

The whole thing is ridiculous.  

I'd have no problems doing a "support" trip - fly, meet with local artists, meet with the historical preservationists who could give me a briefing on what is going on to preserve historic Havana, and take me to see various projects.  I'd have no problem staying in a home rather than the latest Marriott property.   To me, that would be just like doing a private excursion...  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wyoming2010 said:

They know the vast majority of people will not do the "support for the Cuban people" thing.  There are too many i's to dot.  It's not as easy as just walking onto a cruise ship.

The entire thing is ludicrous. The categories are so vague and sort of. . silly.

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

A US citizen coming from anywhere via any means plane train , ship, donkey cart or on foot is barred from entering Cuba.   

That’s not true. You’re still allowed to enter Cuba as a US citizen, just not under the “people to people” visa. For example, you can still fly to Cuba on a US airline and enter under the “Support for the Cuban people” visa and it will still be completely

legal .

There’s a 36 page document from the Dept of Justice with all the details. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 3:48 PM, sfaaa said:

There are not that many communist countries left in this world other than Cuba, China, North Korea and Vietnam, none of which I have any interest to go and visit.

We have traveled a lot and I can say without reservation that the friendliest people we have encountered were in China.  

People are people and cannot control the actions of their governments in most cases including the latest.  

13 hours ago, Wyoming2010 said:

After the dust settled and I got home from work, I found myself feeling truly depressed.  I attributed it to the fact that we lost this great opportunity to visit Cuba.  But then it dawned on me the other factor -- I have spent a year talking with all the tour guides I booked with in each port, getting itineraries set, talking about their area and learning about them.  I suddenly feel so sad that I won't get to meet them and take our tours with them and hear about their history. 

[still have not heard from Oceania, and nothing is posted on their website!]

No word from O here either.  At least HAL is giving some OBC along with reduced pricing.  Have read the reported new itinerary on CC but no official word from O or our TA for itinerary that was 100% Cuba.   Very disappointed and due to a number of circumstances cannot cancel and will be out 7K for an ordinary Caribbean itinerary.   

On 6/5/2019 at 6:43 PM, Judyrem said:

Repeat after me, this is a TRAVEL forum.

Judyrem:

I’ve been frequenting Cruise Critic for over 15 years. Until now, I would’ve wholeheartedly agreed with you. Keep politics outside of this TRAVEL forum.

However, this is an extraordinary situation that has been triggered because of political reasons. I consider it hard to have a meaningful and informative discussion about this topic without including politics because this entire situation IS happening exactly because of politics. 

And reading the various threads throughout the message boards, it seems to me like moderators may agree, and thus have allowed political comments that by now would’ve been deleted under different circumstances. Whether we like it or not, they contribute to the conversation at hand. 

Some of the political comments made may differ with mine or yours, but I humbly believe that they are warranted and justifiable in this extraordinary situation. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Tapi said:

Judyrem:

I’ve been frequenting Cruise Critic for over 15 years. Until now, I would’ve wholeheartedly agreed with you. Keep politics outside of this TRAVEL forum.

However, this is an extraordinary situation that has been triggered because of political reasons. I consider it hard to have a meaningful and informative discussion about this topic without including politics because this entire situation IS happening exactly because of politics. 

And reading the various threads throughout the message boards, it seems to me like moderators may agree, and thus have allowed political comments that by now would’ve been deleted under different circumstances. Whether we like it or not, they contribute to the conversation at hand. 

Some of the political comments made may differ with mine or yours, but I humbly believe that they are warranted and justifiable in this extraordinary situation. 

Well said.  Thank you. 

• Like 2

From cnbc.com:

HAVANA, June 4 (Reuters) - The Trump administration banned cruises to Cuba under new restrictions on U.S. travel to the Caribbean island imposed on Tuesday to pressure its Communist government to reform and stop supporting Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

JK

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Agree 100% with you.

And, thank you, and your father for his service .   👍🇺🇸

you can still fly into Cuba from the USA as an American, flights leave every day from major cities in the USA, just book your flight and hotel or casa on booking.com from home on your visa have a nice vacation in Havana no problems under the OFAC check off support for the Cuban people   

15 hours ago, euro trash said:

you can still fly into Cuba from the USA as an American, flights leave every day from major cities in the USA, just book your flight and hotel or casa on booking.com from home on your visa have a nice vacation in Havana no problems under the OFAC check off support for the Cuban people   

Just speaking for myself and my husband, we would not be comfortable traveling to Cuba at this time.  If we could go with a group, that would be fine, but we're not ready to do this on our own.  Maybe later when things settle down and we know for sure more restrictions aren't going to be reinstated any time soon.  

On 6/7/2019 at 9:08 PM, euro trash said:

Just make sure they don’t stamp the passport. Idiotic CBP agents will cause you severe strife down the road if so.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:22 PM, fatcat04 said:

The moderators actually moderated the thread on the Carnival board. First page the moderator stated

******No political posts please*******

And there are 6 pages with little to no political references, just helpful facts and first hand accounts of what Carnival and the passengers are doing about this issue.

I miss Host Walt. I always felt he did an excellent job moderating.

I am going to try to clean this up for you.   I miss Walt as well, been with CC since 1998 off and on..such a gentleman.

I posted on Carnival and it worked pretty well but didn't know who had this  board... diving in .....

Host Carolyn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Host Carolyn said:

I am going to try to clean this up for you.   I miss Walt as well, been with CC since 1998 off and on..such a gentleman.

I posted on Carnival and it worked pretty well but didn't know who had this  board... diving in .....

Host Carolyn

Thank you so much!!! 

3 hours ago, Wyoming2010 said:

That's what worries us.  

Cuba usually doesn’t stamp, they’ll have you a little card instead. 

It could jeopardize your next Global Entry or Nexus application though because America is now is uber petty.