Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
4cats4me

Removal of foot stools from CC and AQ on Equinox

Recommended Posts

I need to agree. One of the things that enticed me to book concierge class is that the balcony would include a footstool along with a reclining chair, for those of us who prefer to sit out on our balconies. This is a listed difference in the room descriptions. 

 

With Concierge, we don't get Blu. So the handful of differences between this and a regular balcony are "shrinking".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m thinking I could use that tiny table as a footstool, maybe with a pillow on top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not book for the foot stools.  I book for those slippers.  Make great Christmas gifts for loved ones...😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely book CC or AQ but in the few times I have, I can tell you that one of the highlights of that class for us was taking naps out on the balcony, as we could turn the chair + foot stool into a day bed.  We actually spent nearly as much time sleeping out there as we did inside on the bed.  So, while others might think this is trivial, to others, it is a big deal ... not one that would make or break it for me but like the OP states, just one little change that can degrade one's overall experience.  Also, we've had friends visit the cabin and those little foot stools made for extra seating while hanging out on the balcony.  I could just pack my own blow up or folding foot stool but that kind of defeats the purpose of the extra cost of feeling pampered.  

I still love Celebrity and would be unlikely to book on another line for this one amenity.  I would just book a regular veranda instead or even an OV or inside stateroom and do my napping on those lounges or day beds up top.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

 I could just pack my own blow up or folding foot stool but that kind of defeats the purpose of the extra cost of feeling pampered.  

Agreed. Seems like some turn this into a camping trip rather than a luxury cruise,  schlepping fold up stools and tables. We could never manage this with airline restrictions on checked and carry-on luggage, nor would we want to.

 

We pay a lot to cruise and such amenities should be provided especially given that they were there (but removed).

 

Odd that X would remove these in the first place and open themselves up to criticism.

 

Perhaps with the negative feedback they will reappear in time. Be sure to continue to mention this on your post cruise surveys and reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone  know why footstools have been removed?  There should be a legit reason.  Cost saving for replacing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Agreed. Seems like some turn this into a camping trip rather than a luxury cruise,  schlepping fold up stools and tables. We could never manage this with airline restrictions on checked and carry-on luggage, nor would we want to.

 

We pay a lot to cruise and such amenities should be provided especially given that they were there (but removed).

 

Odd that X would remove these in the first place and open themselves up to criticism.

 

Perhaps with the negative feedback they will reappear in time. Be sure to continue to mention this on your post cruise surveys and reviews.

 

Not only on post cruise surveys / reviews but on social media as well.  

It worked with the burgers for purchase at the Mast Grill....now, they are back to being complimentary.   On Holland, they were trying out a charge for second entree in the dining room but ditched that rather quickly.  On Princess, they got rid of the barrel chairs in their balcony and below staterooms and although they are still not found in these cabins, I've read they still have many onboard and you can request on onboard if you can't live without it.  The cruiselines actually have social media personnel that peruse these boards (and FB and the likes) and they base some of their practices on our commentary.  One time I wrote a very favorable review of the Solstice with the exception of one dinner in Murano.  I was given his email address to detail my experience and he responded by comping us another dinner there for our next cruise.  I think if someone comes off with a laundry list of complaints, they may roll their eyes and move along.  But, one or even, two, valid complaints are probably viewed much more as a way for them to improve and enhance their customer's experience.  I would expect passengers in these cabins being able to request a footstool in the near future if this complaint goes viral.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could agree with you....but the fact that Celebrity was able to remove the daily water from the aptly named Aqua Class cabins....leads me to believe they can do what they want.  I suppose the thinking was that the balcony looks bigger without the footstools and smaller "table."  Which also will cut down on Room Service orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GAcruiser2 said:

I just returned from my cruise in Aqua Class on the Equinox. I can confirm that footstools are gone (at the Connections party, the hotel director claimed he “forgot” to order them). Also gone are the slippers and the nicer canvas bags - instead we got the same flimsy bags that everyone on the ship receives. There was also no priority boarding for Aqua. While I do like Blu, I don’t find the food that much better than the main dining room. In the future, I’ll save the money and get a regular cabin. 

 

Hopefully the Silhouette Hotel Director remembers to order footstools and tables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While a missing foot stool seems like nothing to some people it certainly would irritate me too....but it's not only that ...it's missing foot stools, it's tables the size of a small pizza, or worse yet, no table at all (think Edge Sky Suites). And now there are no slippers, no water in Aqua rooms, it's no privacy with the "balcony" windows and door open on Edge...and on and on and on...

 

So, we the customer, now are bringing things like sheets & curtains to be hung in front of windows on the Edge to provide privacy, blow up foot stools for the balconies, I suppose blow up tables for both the balconies AND for those now nonexistent ones in the Edge Sky Suites.....

 

This from a cruiseline that likes to refer to itself as "luxury"...…  luxury does not mean filling your suitcase with items that should already be in your rooms....next thing you knew they will forget to order the mattresses and we'll all be dragging along those blow up mattresses too and I bet they wouldn't even provide a pump to blow it up...….:classic_biggrin:

 

Something is wrong with this picture, ESPECIALLY, when you add the VERY hefty prices X is trying to get from it's customers.....I looked at booking an Aqua room in January 2020 to meet up with friends and the nearly $5,000 price tag for a 7 night cruise is insane....instead we are meeting them for dinner the night before they sail....

 

I have2- X cruises booked, I also have 3 Princess cruises booked, those three are definitely going to happen....if X's prices don't come down to something closer to realistic they may not.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too, have booked Concierge cabins for the footstools, able to enjoy the balcony much more with them for lounging.  I am not sure why they would remove them?  Going forward, we will save money and just book a regular veranda cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, maybe there is some hope for the foot stools if the Hotel Director 

places a late order!   Any good director should be willing to rectify his mistake, right?

we’ll see!😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate everyone’s replies to this thread.  Many have hit the nail on the head.

 

I really think X’s new slogan should change from Modern Luxury to “Hipster Camping. “

 

For those who have indicated that it isn’t a big deal, I wonder how they would react to their favorite things being removed.  Cruising means different thing to different people.  For me, cruising is that iconic picture on most brochures depicting someone relaxing on their balcony.  

Someone indicated here that they wouldn’t cancel but would merely book a different category, ie, book a different veranda cabin.  Unfortunately, that’s not an option as we booked a a great rate (still pricy) which includes all kinds of perks and OBC and bumping down a few categories would actually cost more than we are paying.  

Yesterday, I happened to check our other favorite cruiseline and the price on a different itinerary had dropped significantly, plus our favorite cabins with huge balcony and foot stools are available.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

 

 

Yesterday, I happened to check our other favorite cruiseline and the price on a different itinerary had dropped significantly, plus our favorite cabins with huge balcony and foot stools are available.  

Best way to make Celebrity understand is to hit their bottom line....if it's a line you like, then make the switch!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GAcruiser2 said:

I just returned from my cruise in Aqua Class on the Equinox. I can confirm that footstools are gone (at the Connections party, the hotel director claimed he “forgot” to order them). Also gone are the slippers and the nicer canvas bags - instead we got the same flimsy bags that everyone on the ship receives. There was also no priority boarding for Aqua. While I do like Blu, I don’t find the food that much better than the main dining room. In the future, I’ll save the money and get a regular cabin. 

Sadly, we have seen  amenities and perks for AQ Class disappear little by little...mostly since the arrival of LLP. We are leavng AQ for other  less costly options....first time in years.

 

GONE: The plush Aqua colored  towels, daily delivery of bottled  spring water, footstools...very important for healthy elevation of legs...  and nice chairs on the balcony;,  AND many priority situations like boarding and disembarkation.,

 

  On EDGE...boarding for AQ Class was a free for all cattle call.( we used to board right after the suite guests)  Disembarkation was really odd... The AQ  class deck 8 cabins never received a disembark survey of plans, and we all got a terrible  number..very high.  Had to go to GR to rectify.  All AQ gets now is extra points, BLU and the PG/ thermal suites.

 

Meanwhile Concierge now  gets early boarding for the pvt luncheon, Concierge parties, and  a meeting area for priority disembarkation. Almost a better value than AQ Class which used to be very close to  a spa mini  suite experience....no more.

 

Sadly we have enjoyed EQ and AQ Class but not rushing back  to either!

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sadly, we have seen  amenities and perks for AQ Class disappear little by little...mostly since the arrival of LLP. We are leavng AQ for other  less costly options....first time in years.

 

GONE: The plush Aqua colored  towels, daily delivery of bottled  spring water, footstools...very important for healthy elevation of legs...  and nice chairs on the balcony;,  AND many priority situations like boarding and disembarkation.,

 

  On EDGE...boarding for AQ Class was a free for all cattle call.( we used to board right after the suite guests)  Disembarkation was really odd... The AQ  class deck 8 cabins never received a disembark survey of plans, and we all got a terrible  number..very high.  Had to go to GR to rectify.  All AQ gets now is extra points, BLU and the PG/ thermal suites.

 

Meanwhile Concierge now  gets early boarding for the pvt luncheon, Concierge parties, and  a meeting area for priority disembarkation. Almost a better value than AQ Class which used to be very close to  a spa mini  suite experience....no more.

 

Sadly we have enjoyed EQ and AQ Class but not rushing back  to either!

 

Had no idea that they’d rescinded the priority boarding perk as well.

I just emailed my agent telling her to cancel our booking , and why.  I have also put a hold on my favorite cabin on another cruiseline for the same date as Equinox cruise but on the opposite coast, and then I will transfer that booking to my TA.  

 

  

Edited by 4cats4me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GAcruiser2 said:

I just returned from my cruise in Aqua Class on the Equinox. I can confirm that footstools are gone (at the Connections party, the hotel director claimed he “forgot” to order them). Also gone are the slippers and the nicer canvas bags - instead we got the same flimsy bags that everyone on the ship receives. There was also no priority boarding for Aqua. While I do like Blu, I don’t find the food that much better than the main dining room. In the future, I’ll save the money and get a regular cabin. 

 

 

We have nothing booked on Celebrity for the next year or so but were planning on trying again in 2021.

It's looking like it's time to find alternatives for that year also.

Chip, chip, chip.....................

Edited by chamima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We actually did have a real balcony on Edge.  But no footstools.

 

 

A real, real balcony 🙀.... soon that will be a thing of the past, along with the footstools, slippers, water bottles, priority boarding, canvas bags, proper tables, curtains, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DW really enjoys room service breakfast on our balcony.    Current table is small so she rests the tray on a footstool.  With no footstools and shrinking table  don't know how she'll manage.  Major disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brought this double blow up footstool on the Infinity. We were in AQ without footstools. Worked well, but would rather have had the real deal. The Infinity hasn’t been revolutionized yet, but the Hoppen grey goes nicely with Edge or Revolution designs. 🙂

 

PS:     it can be placed on tiny tables for room service.     Don’t forget the tablecloth!  😉

 

E34ADFF8-7DEE-46CE-AFD2-3F7DF22D5EBB.thumb.jpeg.e6afc2a47fd6465d121166b815cdea47.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Brought this double blow up footstool on the Infinity. We were in AQ without footstools. Worked well, but would rather have had the real deal. The Infinity hasn’t been revolutionized yet, but the Hoppen grey goes nicely with Edge or Revolution designs. 🙂

 

PS:     it can be placed on tiny tables for room service.     Don’t forget the tablecloth!  😉

 

E34ADFF8-7DEE-46CE-AFD2-3F7DF22D5EBB.thumb.jpeg.e6afc2a47fd6465d121166b815cdea47.jpeg

 

 

I LIKE this. Where did you order this? I would like one for home 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes this is hilarious but sounds like many of us have lost another "something" on the plus side for choosing Celebrity. As many are saying we select certain cabin categories for comfort and the perks that come with the extra cost. We are paying more ( $400) than last summer's Equinox sailing( same cabin)  and sounds like getting less for a C3 category.  I also am concerned about getting lounge chairs above the pool deck now that deck 16 is the Retreat Sundeck. What a shame- we truly love this ship! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO does LLP report to anyone other than the stockholders?  Is Michael Bayley her boss?  Looking for names for a letter I'm writing.....I realize it may well never be read, fall on deaf ears or whatever but it will make me feel better if I let the powers that be know why I'm looking and booking elsewhere.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

SO does LLP report to anyone other than the stockholders?  Is Michael Bayley her boss?  Looking for names for a letter I'm writing.....I realize it may well never be read, fall on deaf ears or whatever but it will make me feel better if I let the powers that be know why I'm looking and booking elsewhere.....

 

 

I can't help you with whoever Lisa reports to but I have some advice.

On our last cruise many people (including us) had problems with one certain senior level crew member.

A gentleman we were friendly with said he knew someone fairly high up in Celebrity corporate .

He wrote a LONG letter outlining the problems. He read me the letter after he sent it and all I could think was that if I received that long tome I'd probably ignore it because of the length . Way too many details and descriptions.

Everything he said was valid and accurate but................

So my advice is to write out your letter and then take a day or two to review it and pare it down to succinct details so it will be taken seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...