Jump to content

What is in your travel First Aid kit?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ed01106 said:

For OTC that I use regularly it is pretty easy, just bring some along.

 

What I struggle with is stuff that is travel specific.  Should I spend $8 now for a bottle of Bonine when odds are in two years when it reaches its expiration date it will still be unopened. Or don’t buy it in advance and buy the same bottle for $25 on the ship if I do need it.

 

So far I have gone with the logic of it never rains if i have my umbrella with me, but rains if I forget it so I bring them so I won’t need them.

 

Buy the $8 bottle now.  Toss it and buy another in two years.  Repeat and you are at $24 over a 6 year period.  Oh, and make sure you take more cruises to justify the expense!!  😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

 

Buy the $8 bottle now.  Toss it and buy another in two years.  Repeat and you are at $24 over a 6 year period.  Oh, and make sure you take more cruises to justify the expense!!  😀

Agreed, we had bought new luggage a while back and are now trying to justify it by travelling as much as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

aaahhh, but calliopecruiser said she (he?) didn't need any of these meds at home either... So, I was surprised to find a rare person like that.

Touch wood but I have not been sufficiently sunburnt, constipated or had a gastro type stomach complaint to need medicinal help at home either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Touch wood but I have not been sufficiently sunburnt, constipated or had a gastro type stomach complaint to need medicinal help at home either. 

Nor I/we.  We carry a few things in case we get a cold/allergy attack (like the pollen kind).  As I've mentioned I have a ton of medical background and am really comfortable looking for something like "cough medicine" on shore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, clo said:

Nor I/we.  We carry a few things in case we get a cold/allergy attack (like the pollen kind).  As I've mentioned I have a ton of medical background and am really comfortable looking for something like "cough medicine" on shore.

We are not sickly at all, time will tell how long that lasts though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I am retired.  So, I have nothing better to do than read Cruise Critic threads like this one.  We, in fact, do cruise with many of the items identified. 

 

I have a question.  Multiple posters have specified both Advil (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (Acetaminophen).  Aren't these both painkillers?  Why carry both?  I'll bet there is a reasonable explanation, and I am curious as to what it is.

 

I do know that acetaminophen is quite dangerous when mixed with alcohol.

 

Ibuprofen has muscle relaxing and anti swelling properties.

 

I don't normally carry or take acetominophen.  NASTY stuff.  A couple of extra strength ones and a couple of drinks, and you destroy your liver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, clo said:

Nor I/we.  We carry a few things in case we get a cold/allergy attack (like the pollen kind).  As I've mentioned I have a ton of medical background and am really comfortable looking for something like "cough medicine" on shore.

 

But how about something that starts the first of 3 sea days.  Suffer for 3 days until the first port?  Or a TA?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Touch wood but I have not been sufficiently sunburnt, constipated or had a gastro type stomach complaint to need medicinal help at home either. 

got kids or friends with kids?

The first time I got a rotavirus, I was pregnant. I got it from a friend's kid who attended my baby shower.

DS has got a few bouts of noro/rota so far (he is 8 and goes to school and you know how good kids are at washing hands) and then generously shared it with us and his grandparents. Kids can dehydrate extremely quickly while dealing with these viruses, and may require medical assistance beyond Pedialite...

DS doesn't sunburn because we pack him into an SPF55 rashguard and spray him with SPF100 every couple of hours. And that's despite him being a milky white redhead. However, DH misses spots on my back all the time...

 

Oh, yeah, we've also dealt with DS's severe constipation issues as well over the years, so we take extra precaution when traveling.

So, while the adults can go through their adult lives taking every precaution and be fortunate enough not to pick up a virus or suffer from constipation by eating right and getting a lot of fluids, kids are a very different type of beast. You as a child may have been the same beast... but grew up to be health conscious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SRF said:

 

Buy the bottle now.  If you haven't used it in 2 years, don't replace it. 😄

even though we've been cruising for years, we never got sea sick and never needed dramamine. I only bought it when I brought my parents with us on their first cruise, because I wasn't sure whether they would need it or not (especially mom). They didn't need it and I lamented spending so much money on something we didn't really need... Low and behold, my DH developed vertigo right before our last cruise, and not only went through that "bottle" of dramamine, but several others. He would have been completely miserable without it. So, I am glad I didn't wait to buy it onboard for $20...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SRF said:

 

But how about something that starts the first of 3 sea days.  Suffer for 3 days until the first port?  Or a TA?

 

 

But give me an example of that?  Seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We call them a 'Waiter's Friend' here, it is like the swiss army knife for a waiter that needs to be opening bottles and such.

 

A waiter's key is the standard.  If you want something that works on all bottles--even those with XL corks and older bottles, invest in a Durand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SRF said:

 

Ibuprofen has muscle relaxing and anti swelling properties.

 

I don't normally carry or take acetominophen.  NASTY stuff.  A couple of extra strength ones and a couple of drinks, and you destroy your liver.


I keep it for when I've had an injury, surgery, or high fever because I can't take most narcotics and you can alternate Acetominophen and Ibruprofin every two hours. That's how I managed the pain of broken ribs as well as post-op pain of a burst appendix.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

even though we've been cruising for years, we never got sea sick and never needed dramamine. I only bought it when I brought my parents with us on their first cruise, because I wasn't sure whether they would need it or not (especially mom). They didn't need it and I lamented spending so much money on something we didn't really need... Low and behold, my DH developed vertigo right before our last cruise, and not only went through that "bottle" of dramamine, but several others. He would have been completely miserable without it. So, I am glad I didn't wait to buy it onboard for $20...

 

LOL -- I also thought myself 'immune' from sea-sickness, after years of cruising (through some very rough seas, on occasion). But never say 'never'. On our Pacific crossing to Hawaii, on a smaller ship (Celebrity Century), we encountered what mariners call a 'beam sea' -- where the waves hit the boat sideways, rather that head-on. We weren't experiencing any big waves, or swells -- and most passengers didn't even notice it.  But, after a few hours of that, my 'sea-legs' abandoned me, entirely! It took my vestibular system an entire day to acclimate (thank goodness, it finally DID). Ever since then, I cruise with Bonine and some form of ginger -- because, you just never know!😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

My entire "what if" stuff fits into a sandwich baggie.

- cold meds

- ibuprofen

- bandaids / blister pads

- benadryl

- cortisone cream

- pepto

 

I know I get sea-sick, so the bonine gets packed with my regular meds.  The above list handles the normal stuff I don't want to have to shop for, and it's stuff I keep on hand at home because I need it occasionally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, XBGuy said:

 

... Why carry both?...

 

 

Someone in their family or group may have some other chronic ailment or be taking another medication that makes the difference. For me, I'm 3rd stage renal failure and also taking warfarin. I can only take Tylenol and only a couple at that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

got kids or friends with kids?

The first time I got a rotavirus, I was pregnant. I got it from a friend's kid who attended my baby shower.

DS has got a few bouts of noro/rota so far (he is 8 and goes to school and you know how good kids are at washing hands) and then generously shared it with us and his grandparents. Kids can dehydrate extremely quickly while dealing with these viruses, and may require medical assistance beyond Pedialite...

DS doesn't sunburn because we pack him into an SPF55 rashguard and spray him with SPF100 every couple of hours. And that's despite him being a milky white redhead. However, DH misses spots on my back all the time...

 

Oh, yeah, we've also dealt with DS's severe constipation issues as well over the years, so we take extra precaution when traveling.

So, while the adults can go through their adult lives taking every precaution and be fortunate enough not to pick up a virus or suffer from constipation by eating right and getting a lot of fluids, kids are a very different type of beast. You as a child may have been the same beast... but grew up to be health conscious. 

Yes, had children, and now have a grandchild. We had travelled when with my son but again, very careful and I suppose also lucky. Granddaughter (3) has made one holiday trip with us and so far has been good, and she hasn't been crook on any visits or stays when at home, although I am not sure how long that will last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Save your self the bother of carrying any tool: only buy wine that comes in a six pack of pop-top cans.

Funny you should say that but you can now buy wine in cans (here in Australia anyway).

can.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SRF said:

 

But how about something that starts the first of 3 sea days.  Suffer for 3 days until the first port?  Or a TA?

 

 

You bite the bullet and spend the outrageous prices they charge in the ship store.  You’re at sea on a cruise ship not the middle of the amazon.  You bring a first aid kit to avoid spending $5 for a band aid, not because your life depends on it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Funny you should say that but you can now buy wine in cans (here in Australia anyway).

can.png

I’ve seen them here as well.  Somehow a six pack of Cabernet Sauvignon in pop top cans lacks the panache of a foil-wrapped corked bottle;  still, like everything else, the proof is in the tasting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Save your self the bother of carrying any tool: only buy wine that comes in a six pack of pop-top cans.

I'm seeing those more and more.  We buy the little sparkling ones, 

Sofia Blanc de Blancs

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’ve seen them here as well.  Somehow a six pack of Cabernet Sauvignon in pop top cans lacks the panache of a foil-wrapped corked bottle;  still, like everything else, the proof is in the tasting.

I haven't had one as yet, but I am sure to try them when they become more popular with wineries and the pricing drops.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TxCityKat said:

 

Someone in their family or group may have some other chronic ailment or be taking another medication that makes the difference. For me, I'm 3rd stage renal failure and also taking warfarin. I can only take Tylenol and only a couple at that.

There are specific reasons for each.  I find the Mayo Clinic website to have great info.  And, of course, YOUR DOCTOR.  If you don't know the difference then you probably shouldn't take either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...