What is in your travel First Aid kit?

JC in CA

1 minute ago, evandbob said:

With carry luggage, I can be in a taxi halfway to the cruise port with everything I need while others on my flight are just beginning to see their luggage carousel start to move.

But for any trip we arrive at least the day before so rushing is never an issue.

• Like 1

Has anyone mentioned a dental repair kit?   I bring a small dental adhesive for a filling that falls out or a crown that comes loose.

It might be mentioned that anyone  catching noro on a ship should not use immodium, pepto or other anti diarrheal.  Staying hydrated and letting noro run its course is the quickest way to get the virus out of your system.

Edited by evandbob

31 minutes ago, iancal said:

We had excellent experiences with pharmacies in Kuala Lumpur,  in Ko Lanta, Thailand, and in Rio.  No issues.  Perhaps it was good fortune.

I've had good experiences with pharmacies in Cairo, multiple places in Europe, Grand Cayman, even Puerto Vallarta and Tijuana. Maybe I've been lucky, too!  

I always have some ibuprofen in my purse, along with a few bandaids ("plasters") - I'm really clumsy.  I also have a tiny pair of tweezers in my purse.  I don't do much else special for a "travel" kit.  If I need something, I can always get it.

6 hours ago, evandbob said:

t might be mentioned that anyone  catching noro on a ship should not use immodium, pepto or other anti diarrheal.  Staying hydrated and letting noro run its course is the quickest way to get the virus out of your system.

Could you provide a reputable citation to support this please?  I'm not doubting you but would like it verified.  TIA.

3 hours ago, iancal said:

We had excellent experiences with pharmacies in Kuala Lumpur,  in Ko Lanta, Thailand, and in Rio.  No issues.  Perhaps it was good fortune.

I believe that being from an English speaking country has a huge amount to do with "good fortune." 🙂  And I've had that also.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

Could you provide a reputable citation to support this please?  I'm not doubting you but would like it verified.  TIA.

Google is my friend and can be yours too. Google "Norovirus and Immodium".   Or try norovirus on webMD or another general mediacl site.  You'll find plenty of reputable citations to support my statement.

I actually thought most CC posters would know this since it gets discussed frequently here.  Many nurses chime in whenever it's reported there's a ship with a noro outbreak.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Google is my friend and can be yours too. Google "Norovirus and Immodium".   Or try norovirus on webMD or another general mediacl site.  You'll find plenty of reputable citations to support my statement.

I actually thought most CC posters would know this since it gets discussed frequently here.  Many nurses chime in whenever it's reported there's a ship with a noro outbreak.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK518995/

Scroll down to "treatment/management.   I have a ton of medical background and thank the she-gods every day for Google.  It can be your friend also.  webMD is not what I would depend on.

1 minute ago, clo said:

webMD is not what I would depend on

Yes - I think of it like Wikipedia......some good information to help you search for and navigate to more dependable websites. 

Staying hydrated in the face of nasty diarrhea can be a challenge; there are times when an anti-diarrheal is called for.

8 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yes - I think of it like Wikipedia......some good information to help you search for and navigate to more dependable websites. 

Staying hydrated in the face of nasty diarrhea can be a challenge; there are times when an anti-diarrheal is called for.

And I thank the she-gods for you also 🙂

Unfortunately the 'average' person likely doesn't have the knowledge to separate the wheat from the chaff (did I spell that correctly?)

12 hours ago, clo said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK518995/

Scroll down to "treatment/management.   I have a ton of medical background and thank the she-gods every day for Google.  It can be your friend also.  webMD is not what I would depend on.

I did  - here's what it said (I added emphasis)

Debate exists over antidiarrheal medication usage. Medications such as diphenoxylate/atropine or loperamide are not recommended in patients who are 65 or older. Younger patients may benefit from antimotility medications [4]. However, some feel that if a patient can maintain a well-hydrated status, antidiarrheal treatment should not be initiated. For oral rehydration, some studies have shown that commercially available oral rehydration solutions containing electrolytes are superior to sports drinks and other forms of oral rehydration [2]. However, a recent study using children with mild dehydration demonstrated no differences between children receiving oral rehydration solutions versus ad lib oral intake [17]. No specific nutritional recommendations are universal for patients with viral gastroenteritis. A diet of banana, rice, apples, tea, and toast is often advised, but several studies have failed to show any significant outcome difference when compared to regular diets [18].

Your citation supports what I stated, thanks!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

Most physicians do not recommend taking over-the-counter antidiarrheal medications such as diphenoxylate atropine (Lomotil) or loperamidehydrochloride (Imodium) because they may prolong the infection or cause complications.

Or, for the laymen, in the immortal words of Shrek, "Better out than in".

On 7/2/2019 at 10:34 AM, iancal said:

A tiny roll of Tums, a few band-aids,  a strip of 6 claratin tabs and five or six ibprobhen capsules.  

On 7/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, clo said:

When I was having my awful back pain I was taking four six hours!  We carry a zipping bag of them on any trip.

My doc says if you don't take at least 3 or 4 for muscle/joint pain, don't bother taking them. 😄

2 hours ago, SRF said:

My doc says if you don't take at least 3 or 4 for muscle/joint pain, don't bother taking them. 😄

And you need to get the level up and keep it up.