Air fresheners allowed on board?

This might be an odd question but can you bring on or what are the rules for bringing on air fresheners like Fabreeze? We have cruised I think 7 times now and every time we say afterward we should bring air fresheners for the room and bathroom. We are on Anthem in Sept. and we are making sure we don't forget this time but I wanted to know what are the rules for air fresheners? Allowed or not?

We've always brought a Bed & Bath plug in air freshener with us in a sealed zip lock bag (for leaks).  Plugged it into our power strip and leave on the desk.  Freshens the room and serves as a nightlight.  Never a problem over a dozen cruises on a half dozen cruise lines!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

This might be an odd question but can you bring on or what are the rules for bringing on air fresheners like Fabreeze? We have cruised I think 7 times now and every time we say afterward we should bring air fresheners for the room and bathroom. We are on Anthem in Sept. and we are making sure we don't forget this time but I wanted to know what are the rules for air fresheners? Allowed or not?

If it's something with a heating element, it's on the prohibited list.

We've always brought a Bed & Bath plug in air freshener with us in a sealed zip lock bag (for leaks).  Plugged it into our power strip and leave on the desk.  Freshens the room and serves as a nightlight.  Never a problem over a dozen cruises on a half dozen cruise lines!

Very good idea, that's a better idea. Thanks.

From the contract of carriage, under prohibited items:

"Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames
Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed."

I think that would include anything that's plugged in that "freshens" the air.

• Thanks 1

We've done the plug-ins with no problem in the past but it seems that they are getting stricter and stricter.  The last few cruises we've taken Glade Solid air freshener...that cone shaped deal that you unscrew and lift the top to expose  a gel-like substance.  Works great and no worries about confiscation.  While we loved the nightlight feature of the plug-in we now bring a battery operated candle to put in the bathroom so we don't have to turn on the light in the middle of the night and wake the other person.

Sure.  Easy peasy.

• 1 tsp rubbing alcohol
  • 30-40 drops essential oils
  • 3 oz water

Instructions

Pour rubbing alcohol in a 3 oz spray container and add essential oils. Add water to fill the container. Give it a good shake and you’re ready to go!  I’ve found 3-4 sprays is enough to cover the bowl and trap all of the stink particles below.

To Use

Before you go poo in the toilet, spray on top of the water 3-4 sprays which will create a film, trapping the poo smells after you go. Then do your business and flush. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Sure.  Easy peasy.

• 1 tsp rubbing alcohol
  • 30-40 drops essential oils
  • 3 oz water

Instructions

Pour rubbing alcohol in a 3 oz spray container and add essential oils. Add water to fill the container. Give it a good shake and you’re ready to go!  I’ve found 3-4 sprays is enough to cover the bowl and trap all of the stink particles below.

To Use

Before you go poo in the toilet, spray on top of the water 3-4 sprays which will create a film, trapping the poo smells after you go. Then do your business and flush. 

Thanks, I will try this and bring on our cruise on the Adventure July 12th 

Surge protectors can cause FIRES due to the ship's electrical system. There are strips without them; a simple splitter on a short cord from the hardware store is as good as something sold special for cruise ships, but the latter is FOR SURE no surge protection. 

If the label has a Joule rating -- that is a measure of surge protection. Also anything with only the two flat blades on the plug cannot be surge protection, I have read on here. 

Nearly all air fresheners that plug directly into the wall use heat to vaporize oils, and as such are prohibited.  These have been known to cause fires if the unit overheats when the oil is gone, and the plastic melts onto combustible material, like the paper on a cruise cabin desk.

Other types of air fresheners use ultrasonics to vaporize, and these would be acceptable (the "puffing" type).

• Like 2