Celebrity stopped calling at Labadee, Haiti?

FreestyleNovice

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was just at Labadee in June on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I saw no sign of outside vendors or their little market. The island was completely private and had no reflection of even being in Haiti. There were two shops for souvenirs  but the merchandise was all the same type you get on the other islands that is made in China. I didn't get the impression that anyone was contributing the economics in Haiti. On the other hand Royal Caribbean made bank with the overpriced cabanas, zip line and other for sale amenities.

When I was there in January this year on Harmony they had a local vendor area with local crafts and goods.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was just at Labadee in June on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I saw no sign of outside vendors or their little market. The island was completely private and had no reflection of even being in Haiti. There were two shops for souvenirs  but the merchandise was all the same type you get on the other islands that is made in China. I didn't get the impression that anyone was contributing the economics in Haiti. On the other hand Royal Caribbean made bank with the overpriced cabanas, zip line and other for sale amenities.

cabana's on Labadee not cheap but IMO worth it especially if you share with friends and family.

First time there we stay on board...and just enjoyed the beautiful views on our almost empty ship!

When we were there with Royal C on Oasis , there were many  local vendors, some better than others,  and also a nice A/C store which carried many local craft items!

We enjoyed our on water cabana...ladder was a bit slippery to get into the water and some spiny urchins around, but we managed,  We really enjoyed everything that came with it  including a great lunch in a pvt area.  We were pleased to treat our dtr and sil for the day,  They enjoyed the coaster, zip line etc. We took a very long  hike.

On another  trip with X  we just rented a Clamshell on the same beach..also a fun day with some folks from our roll call.

49 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

cabana's on Labadee not cheap but IMO worth it especially if you share with friends and family.

The lounge chairs worked for us. As a matter of fact we never even sat in them. we floated back and forth to the swim up bar on our dollar store rafts the entire day. I would have been upset had we purchased a cabana and not used it.  

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

When I was there in January this year on Harmony they had a local vendor area with local crafts and goods.

I have read about this area with the aggressive locals but some how we didn't come across it. We also didn't see any guards with guns that was also mentioned on some threads. I don't even know where this area is. It was one of the nicest experiences that we have had on any island.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have read about this area with the aggressive locals but some how we didn't come across it. We also didn't see any guards with guns that was also mentioned on some threads. I don't even know where this area is. It was one of the nicest experiences that we have had on any island.

We went to the market and the locals were NOT aggressive.  Very friendly and easy to deal with them.  We walked the property and we saw no guards with guns.  We enjoyed our time there.  

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

The area with aggressive vendors is between Nellies and Columbus Cove.  They are located along but not on the road so they can be avoided. They call down but you don’t have to go Into the area. In the town center there is a local market where the vendors are not aggressive. The guards with guns are there but most probably don’t explore. 

3 hours ago, hcat said:

First time there we stay on board...and just enjoyed the beautiful views on our almost empty ship!

When we were there with Royal C on Oasis , there were many  local vendors, some better than others,  and also a nice A/C store which carried many local craft items!

We enjoyed our on water cabana...ladder was a bit slippery to get into the water and some spiny urchins around, but we managed,  We really enjoyed everything that came with it  including a great lunch in a pvt area.  We were pleased to treat our dtr and sil for the day,  They enjoyed the coaster, zip line etc. We took a very long  hike.

On another  trip with X  we just rented a Clamshell on the same beach..also a fun day with some folks from our roll call.

On one of my cruises where Celebrity stopped at Labadee RC  had just built the water Cabanas but Celebrity was not charging for them yet. It was first come first served. So I occupied one. Very nice. So this couple comes while we were in the water and the young woman was topless. My jaw dropped. This family I was chatting with in the water who had the next door cabana who had two teenage boys, all their jaws dropped. Then I am sitting in the cabana and the couple asked if they could join us. OMG.  I said sure.........Turned out they were French where of course women going topless is normal but I think she would have noticed she was the only topless woman. I don’t think the Celebrity crew noticed her. 

Edited by Charles4515

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

On one of my cruises where Celebrity stopped at Labadee RC  had just built the water Cabanas but Celebrity was not charging for them yet. It was first come first served. So I occupied one. Very nice. So this couple comes while we were in the water and the young woman was topless. My jaw dropped. This family I was chatting with in the water who had the next door cabana who had two teenage boys, all their jaws dropped. Then I am sitting in the cabana and the couple asked if they could join us. OMG.  I said sure.........Turned out they were French where of course women going topless is normal but I think she would have noticed she was the only topless woman. I don’t think the Celebrity crew noticed her. 

That must have been 15 years ago.  I always remember paying for a cabana.

Been to Labadee over a dozen times and always enjoyed it.  

dd rented an over the water cabana six years ago on her honeymoon.  Cost was $129 which included lunch in suite area (she wasn't sailing in a suite).  Couple of years later we tried one and price had risen to $250.  Current price is over $500 and no longer includes upgraded lunch.  IMO no longer worth it.  Lots of shady spots on or near beach available for free.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:35 AM, Tatka said:

Labadee is not in Dominican Republic.

Haiti, but land is leased to RCCL, so it is not even their territory.

Pretty sure that the leased land is still considered part of Haiti, and is therefore Haitian territory.

19 minutes ago, npcl said:

Pretty sure that the leased land is still considered part of Haiti, and is therefore Haitian territory.

Still not DR. 🙂 

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

This sounds like one of my dreams.  I’m on a private beach in the Caribbean and topless women swim up to me.  It’s too bad that I always wake up before it ends.

On 8/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, keesar said:

We went to the market and the locals were NOT aggressive.  Very friendly and easy to deal with them.  We walked the property and we saw no guards with guns.  We enjoyed our time there.  

It is interesting what some people term as aggressive.  I think it depends on your culture.  Local vendors everywhere try to get you to buy their goods.  It is their job and source of income.  Even walking on the beach at public beaches or nice beach clubs.  I expect this when traveling.  I would term it aggressive only if they fail to take multiple no's for an answer.  But just approaching me, calling to me, etc is not aggressive IMO.  

I love the suite beach in ladabee been there a few times, I did encounter one aggressive local but that was decades ago. Interesting that celebrity charters are using it , some on my roll call was worried but I told them it was a nice beach stop. Agree it’s not a island and not in DR.

2 hours ago, George C said:

I love the suite beach in ladabee been there a few times, I did encounter one aggressive local but that was decades ago. Interesting that celebrity charters are using it , some on my roll call was worried but I told them it was a nice beach stop. Agree it’s not a island and not in DR.

I loved the suite beach as well (except for the big dropoff) and am sorry Celebrity isn't going there any more.  We saw absolutely no locals trying to sell us anything.

As for the geography issue, Hispaniola is an island.  There are two countries on it:  Haiti and the Dominican Republic.  Labadee is in Haiti's side of the island.  So, while the beach area is not a separate island, it is indeed on an island.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I loved the suite beach as well (except for the big dropoff) and am sorry Celebrity isn't going there any more.  We saw absolutely no locals trying to sell us anything.

As for the geography issue, Hispaniola is an island.  There are two countries on it:  Haiti and the Dominican Republic.  Labadee is in Haiti's side of the island.  So, while the beach area is not a separate island, it is indeed on an island.

But it's still not RCI's private island which is what it's often referred to as.  It's just private land on a peninsula on a the big island of Hispanola.

Edited by mac66

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It is interesting what some people term as aggressive.  I think it depends on your culture.  Local vendors everywhere try to get you to buy their goods.  It is their job and source of income.  Even walking on the beach at public beaches or nice beach clubs.  I expect this when traveling.  I would term it aggressive only if they fail to take multiple no's for an answer.  But just approaching me, calling to me, etc is not aggressive IMO.  

From what I have read on the Royal Caribbean board they don't take no for an answer. However I never experienced that area. It must be easy to  avoid it because with out knowing I did.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We stopped there last year on a RC cruise and we loved it. The beach and water were gorgeous, and the zip line was a blast. It was a very enjoyable, relaxing and safe beach day. Celebrity however is our cruise line of choice so I hope they go back some day.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

From what I have read on the Royal Caribbean board they don't take no for an answer. However I never experienced that area. It must be easy to  avoid it because with out knowing I did.

The open vendor area has some over enthusiatic vendors , but inside the air conditioned  store things are fine..and cooler. It's a very nice beach and nature day!

On Coco Cay we felt the vendors were  much more aggressive.....but you can always leave the "shop"

The .worst  ever for us was the walkway to the Leaning Tower in Pisa...really was  a detriment to a great place.... Very aggressive street peddling of  junk by  some undesirable  vendors who have no concept of personal space...Hope they have cleaned this up....