IS DSC GOING UP TO $16.50 - SEPT 1?????

ddlb

I previously posted a topic concerning when I tried to prepay my DSC (balcony - Sept 2 sailing to Alaska on Jewel) and on my summary it showed $16.5l per person per day for a total of $232.50 for a 7 day cruise.

I contacted my TA who emailed me this:

The $16.61 is what you will pay on board if you don't pre-pay them ahead of time.

I tried calling her but she had already left the office.  I have a feeling she doesn't know what she is talking about!   But now I am wondering what the heck....is the DSC going up to $16.50 Sept 1 or is she just wrong!!!

Anyone knowing anything about this please respond.  If NCL has made an announcement I missed it!  Thank so much.

Ditto.  All bookings made before an increase are grandfathered to the rate current at the time of booking, provided DSC is paid prior to boarding.

For example, my booking for next May indicates DSC can be prepaid at $14.50/day because that was the going rate at the time of booking.  If I neglect to prepay, I will be charged the prevailing rate after boarding.

So I am not surprised any current booking or mock booking indicates $15/day.  However, that in no way confirms no increase is around the corner so to speak.

So have we received a peek behind the curtain?  Only time will tell.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 1

Right  that's what I thought!  For anyone who didn't see this - this is what I was questioning to begin with.  But the TA told me when she went online it showed the $15.  So when she came back saying the $16.61 would be what I would pay if I didn't prepay I figured WT heck...

dsc.thumb.jpg.2ea533cfc4626b084889a60bedca8bb0.jpgonline it showed the $15 charge.  

8 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I think you need to call NCL and see what they say.  I don't think your TA is right.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm always wondering if I am "allowed" to ask NCL direct and I have been told more than once to have my TA handle an issue since I did not book with NCL direct.  When I've called they always ask if you have booked through a TA too.  So not exactly sure what to do!

5 hours ago, ddlb said:

I previously posted a topic concerning when I tried to prepay my DSC (balcony - Sept 2 sailing to Alaska on Jewel) and on my summary it showed $16.5l per person per day for a total of $232.50 for a 7 day cruise.

The $16.61 is what you will pay on board if you don't pre-pay them ahead of time.

I tried calling her but she had already left the office.  I have a feeling she doesn't know what she is talking about!   But now I am wondering what the heck....is the DSC going up to $16.50 Sept 1 or is she just wrong!!!

Anyone knowing anything about this please respond.  If NCL has made an announcement I missed it!  Thank so much.

I have never known NCL to give such short notice on a DSC increase. IMO if it were going up the first of September NCL would have announced it publicly before now.

3 hours ago, ddlb said:

Right  that's what I thought!  For anyone who didn't see this - this is what I was questioning to begin with.  But the TA told me when she went online it showed the $15.  So when she came back saying the $16.61 would be what I would pay if I didn't prepay I figured WT heck...

dsc.thumb.jpg.2ea533cfc4626b084889a60bedca8bb0.jpgonline it showed the $15 charge.  

How old is this screenshot? If it is more than a few days old, it's time for a refresh.

I have 3 cruises booked and each one of them show $15 .00 DSC. Two of the cruises were booked last week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ddlb said:

I had previously given you a link that outlined the DSC and it was $15. I would skip your TA and call NCL directly as several other posters in that thread suggested. This is not a change in a reservation etc so the PCC should be able to assist identifying the discrepancy. 

Asking again on a new thread will not get you the answer as it is the same people looking at it. 

Edited by esm54687

44 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I had previously given you a link that outlined the DSC and it was $15. I would skip your TA and call NCL directly as several other posters in that thread suggested. This is not a change in a reservation etc so the PCC should be able to assist identifying the discrepancy. 

Asking again on a new thread will not get you the answer as it is the same people looking at it. 

I thought about continuing the same post and adding the fact that my TA had different information as far as telling me I would have to pay this if i didnt prepay the $15. That’s why I started a new thread because it made me think maybe September 1 there would be an increase. I didn’t mean to confuse anyone. Also as mentioned in another post I thought if you had a TA that was not NCL TA you had to work with them and not call NCL direct. Regardless I agree with everyone this is screwy and probably I am the only one whose summary om my.ncl is messed up and my TA probably doesn’t know what the heck she’s talking about.   I absolutely did appreciate the link you gave. Thanks for your help. And as someone else mentioned that link is always up-to-date. And as another person mentioned this is too short of a notice for an increase that would amount to $1.50. Case closed. 

• Like 1

This looks like it's related a long-standing glitch on NCL's website that seems to appear from time to time. An oddball number such as $16.61 per day will show up because their system is using the wrong number of days...typically one less day than the actual number of days in the cruise to compute the daily charge that's displayed. They apparently take the correct total service charge but divide it by the wrong number of days and get a higher than actual daily rate.

As an example, if the correct daily service charge was $14.50 per day and you have a 7 day cruise the correct total per person is $101.50. But what their system was doing was then taking $101.50 and dividing it by 6 rather than 7 resulting in an incorrect display of $16.92 per day. I think what you're seeing is the latest incarnation of that problem.

In March of this year when booking my cruise directly with NCL, I was told that the daily service charge was going to increase by .50 cents sometime this year (my apologies I forget the date she stated) but if we elected to  prepay the service fee at the time of booking then we would pay the current fee and not the increased amount for our sailing this October.  

Edited by KAGeorge
Add sailing time

2 minutes ago, KAGeorge said:

In March of this year when booking my cruise directly with NCL, I was told that the daily service charge was going to increase by .50 cents sometime this year (my apologies I forget the date she stated) but if we elected to  prepay the service fee at the time of booking then we would pay the current fee and not the increased amount.

DSC increased April 1st by the 50 cents you referenced...... as long as your booking was before April 1st and you pre pay the DSC prior to your sail date (doesn't matter when you sail) then you paid the pre April 1st increase. If you did not pre pay and you pay on board then you pay the new DSC rate. 

It would be very usual for any cruise line to have 2 DSC increases in 1 year: our TA said she has not heard anything about this and raising the charge with only a months notice would be very unusual, not to mention the figure is a bit strange. I am guessing this is a system glitch or something.